Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Relationships in children's telly, is this wrong? daphne and fred a couple in scooby doo?

(18 Posts)
MichaelLomotey Tue 09-Aug-11 08:25:52

all this talk of riots. I'm about to start one of my own.

My little one is watching CBBC and in new Scooby Doo Daphne and Fred are a couple, Velma and Shaggy an ex-couple. WTF? Who introduced relationships to baby's telly? Commodification of sex for kids tv??? Am I being unreasonable??

TimeWasting Tue 09-Aug-11 08:35:24

Well, yes you are being unreasonable. No reason relationships shouldn't be represented in childrens tv. hmm

It doesn't need to be in everything though, no need to add it to Scooby Doo.

Kayano Tue 09-Aug-11 08:36:51

I'm sure it's fine. Kids are aware if relationships surely? It's not like it will be like 'come on Daphne to the mystery machine for a shag'

Cattleprod Tue 09-Aug-11 08:36:53

Daphne and Fred have always been a couple surely? Or it's always been implied, maybe they are just being more obvious these days. Velma and Shaggy? I can't see that one - she's gay and he is far too close to his dog. No wonder they split up!

bubbub Tue 09-Aug-11 08:36:56

velma and shaggy? that seems weird! wonder why they broke up? i always thought he had a thing for fred (always jumping into his arms....

joric Tue 09-Aug-11 08:40:44

They should have kept us guessing...
wink

GooseyLoosey Tue 09-Aug-11 08:41:13

I wouldn't have introduced relationships. One of my children struggles to follow the plots of programmes like this and the relationship aspect would only have confused her further. Simple plots with no extrinsic detail are what we like in our house.

RedBlanket Tue 09-Aug-11 08:47:58

YANBU it's outrageous. i also don't like the fact that they put the actors who voice which characters. Spoils the mystery when you find put that is one actor doing 3 characters.

Goosey - Don't know about simple plot lines, I was a bit confused by the Loch Ness episode. Might have been the strange mid Atlantic Scottish/Irish accent they were doing.

InstantAtom Tue 09-Aug-11 08:49:19

YANBU. It was fine before.

Filibear Tue 09-Aug-11 08:51:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 09-Aug-11 08:51:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lecce Tue 09-Aug-11 08:53:16

Daphne and Fred have always been a couple, or at least in a "will they, won't they?" situation, surely. I really don't see a problem, especially as I see Scooby Doo as being for slightly older children anyway, certainly not for 'babies'. If you feel a programme is unsuitable for your child you can always, , or that your child is not following the plot, you can always, y'know, turn it off...

gorionine Tue 09-Aug-11 08:57:09

YANBU

I'm bemused why they feel they have to update it - it's like Scrappy Doo all over again <<shows age>>.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 09-Aug-11 09:06:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Tue 09-Aug-11 10:16:50

Daphne and Fred have been at it like rabbits for decades! Can't see Shaggy and Velma though. Shaggy and a pizza deliver driver for sure. Velma and the Dean of a top uni would be plausible. Each other? Nah!

Also. New Scooby sucks. I prefer the old stuff, but purely because the animation wasn't as smooth, can't stand the new shiny stuff.

<is weird>

emptyshell Tue 09-Aug-11 10:38:14

What did you think Daphne and Fred were doing in the back of the van?! They've always been an item, and in the even so slightly "mum and dad" type responsible and occasionally having a clue type role to the younger and dippier members of the team.

Always hated Scooby Doo - wanted to slap some sense into Shaggy.

HappyAsIAm Tue 09-Aug-11 11:11:56

What about Bert and Ernie? Now thats an interesting relationship!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now