Talk

Advanced search

WWYD in this situation?

(17 Posts)
Melly20MummyToPoppy Mon 08-Aug-11 23:14:43

Your eldest DD (18) just announced she's pregnant, and the baby is due around the same time that you're due to go on holiday, which is booked and paid for. It's your first GC, so DD is bound to want/need lots of support from her mother. She still lives at home and babys dad isn't around.

Would you cancel a non-refundable holiday to support your DD in the one time in her life she probably needs you the most. OR, would you still go on holiday and miss the birth of your first GC? The holiday is 2 weeks long.

TheFeministsWife Mon 08-Aug-11 23:15:50

I would cancel the holiday and stay at home to support her.

pjmama Mon 08-Aug-11 23:17:01

I'd most definitely cancel.

Melly20MummyToPoppy Mon 08-Aug-11 23:17:22

Oh crap. <dons hard hat> meant to post in chat. Oh well.

CallMeBubblesEverybodyDoes Mon 08-Aug-11 23:17:26

I would do the former. I can't believe you even need to ask that question!

hester Mon 08-Aug-11 23:17:37

I would cancel the holiday, no question.

What's going on here, OP? Are you arguing about this with your dp?

HairyJo Mon 08-Aug-11 23:17:58

If it's non refundable then I would do nothing about it right now. Focus on the here and now. Bigger issues at hand to deal with the holiday can be put aside to think about later.

GaramMasalaGirl Mon 08-Aug-11 23:19:31

I would cancel the holiday and stay around for what will be a stressful but special time. Hopefully you will have plenty more opportunities to go away in the future

AnyFucker Mon 08-Aug-11 23:20:08

cancel the holiday, am presuming it is overseas

there will be others

squeakytoy Mon 08-Aug-11 23:20:29

Presumably you have some time yet to change dates perhaps.. or sell the holiday..

Melly20MummyToPoppy Mon 08-Aug-11 23:21:22

No not arguing with anyone. But the person in question is due on wednesday, her mum is going away on saturday. I just wondered if anyone else would do the same!

I too would cancel fwiw.

YoungishBag Mon 08-Aug-11 23:22:13

I wouldn't cancel a non refundable holiday. Not if I'd spent a fortune on it.

And I'd be pissed off if my 18 year old was pregnant, keeping it and no father around.

Good a time as any to start managing on her own. I'd help her prepare though.

AnyFucker Mon 08-Aug-11 23:23:32

eh ?

this 18yo is due this wednesday and has just announced she is pg ?

squeakytoy Mon 08-Aug-11 23:24:13

Ah, so this is imminent.. and the mother is still going away. Their choices I suppose. Perhaps the 18yo has insisted her mum still go away because she has other people to help her out...

AnyFucker Mon 08-Aug-11 23:24:35

and this isn't about you ?

non-thread, in that case hmm

hester Mon 08-Aug-11 23:25:06

'Good a time as any to start managing on her own'. Now, THAT is tough love grin

Melly20MummyToPoppy Mon 08-Aug-11 23:34:35

No she didn't just announce it, i've been pondering this for a while you see. And it's not me, i'm 20 and had my baby just over 7 weeks ago. It's a friend of mine.

Tbh squeaky that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. She would feel so bad about her mum missing her holiday that she probably wouldn't think about herself.

I was just curious to see what other people would do really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now