Talk

Advanced search

Stupid neighbour almost ran me over today

(11 Posts)
GhoulLasher Mon 08-Aug-11 23:13:52

We live in a cul de sac and it's on of those with no footpaths...all the houses have open front lawns...each one has it's own....and there is one tiny section of verge to walk on as you enter the cul de sac then it runs out and most of it is road....bascally to walk in you have to go on the road or everyones lawns.

As I have DC I usully make them walk on the lawns ...the cul de sac is a U shape so you can't be sure what's around corner as your'e walking home...I rode my bik to the bakery this morning and as I came home, I rounded the corner at a slow speed to be confronted by a neighbour with his 2 little boys in the back of the car ...they were driving out...and he was inches from hitting me front on.

I braked very hard and so did he....if it had been my DC coming along he would probably have hit them.

DH said he was probably going too fast if he came that close...it was literally about 10 inches from my wheel. I was shocked and got off...and wheeled the bike out of the cars way and he looked at me like this

hmm

And drove away...shouldn't he had said something?

snippywoo2 Tue 09-Aug-11 00:34:45

Ive never heard of houses being built without footpaths in front, only roads, never mind a cul de sac. Why on earth would anyone live in a house where the only way you could get safely in and out the street was via other peoples lawns or walk on the road ,as for the neighbour was he on your side of the road if he was go round and give him hell.

keepingupwiththejoneses Tue 09-Aug-11 00:55:36

I live in a similar close but mine is more of a Q shape, it is stupid the speed some people come into the close, even more so as it is a blind close with no footpath. The amount of crashes I have almost had,I have lost count of.

MrsRhettButler Tue 09-Aug-11 00:58:51

My cul de sac has no pavements..

Yanbu your dh is right he must have been going too fast, even 10mph can be too fast in these circumstances

sunnydelight Tue 09-Aug-11 07:53:55

I don't understand how he could have nearly hit you head on unless one of you was on the wrong side of the road. Is it not wide enough for two cars to pass?

springboksaplenty Tue 09-Aug-11 08:05:42

Which side of the road were you on?

hmm at 10mph being too fast. And how do you propose he drive out of the road then?

AnotherJaffaCake Tue 09-Aug-11 09:11:44

We also live on a cul de sac where the front gardens stretch down to meet the road, although the last part of each garden is supposed to be regarded as the grass verge. Most people use their driveways, but some people park their cars on the road which makes it quite narrow at one or two points. We have a sharp turn part way along the cul de sac, where you can't see who is coming in/out and because people often park on the road at that point, so whoever is driving in will be, at the best, in the middle of the road, but often on the wrong side.

We've had several near misses when people drive too fast round the corner and have had to get out of the way quickly. DH narrowly avoided being crashed into by our neighbour (who is a deeply unpleasant person anyway) who was driving far too fast. I hate having to walk round that corner with the pushchair as you never know what's coming, and can't always get up onto the grass verge as some people don't bother to keep their grass cut.

GhoulLasher Tue 09-Aug-11 12:43:26

The road isn't wide enough for two cars to pass and I wasn't IN a car I was on my bike....I was on the correct side and ging slowly....HE on the other hand was going too fast.

springbok He should go slowly like all the other drivers...what else?

TheMonster Tue 09-Aug-11 12:45:43

Gosh that's a narrow road then.
Maybe he was shocked rather than hmm

Mrsxstitch Tue 09-Aug-11 12:47:03

I used to live on a cul-de-sac with no pavement. People used to try and take the tight bend at 30. I was always surprised there wasn't an accident.

MrsRhettButler Sat 13-Aug-11 01:27:26

I tested it today on my road and apologies because 10mph is just ok, any faster though and it could be dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now