Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd - travelling to London tomorrow

(19 Posts)
clpsmum Mon 08-Aug-11 21:55:21

ive booked to take my three dc (5, 2 1/2 and 9m) to london tomorrow to stay with friends and go to legoland. What would you do? Would you risk it and go or cancel?

frillyflower Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:27

Which part of London are you going to? We are not all burning down!

catgirl1976 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:27

I;m down for work tommorow and am 2 minds but think it will be ok in the day? where are you staying?

clpsmum Mon 08-Aug-11 22:06:39

We will be staying two nights in Harrow and two nights in hackney. My sensible head says better safe than sorry stay at home but my son is desperate to go to legoland and tickets bought and paid for and wonder if I am being over precautions?

HandMini Mon 08-Aug-11 22:07:59

Harrow will be fine. Sort of depends where in Hackney and whether you have your own transport I would say. Could you just go for Legoland and Harrow for two nights and cut out the Hackney bit?

frillyflower Mon 08-Aug-11 22:09:50

Agree with Handmini

clpsmum Mon 08-Aug-11 22:11:33

Unfortunately no I could cut out Harrow but not hackney! It's homerton I'll be going if anyone knows the area

Valpollicella Mon 08-Aug-11 22:13:00

Why cut out Harrow?

HandMini Mon 08-Aug-11 22:15:13

Homerton is close to Hackney - they pretty much merge into each other. From what I have seen, retail areas/high streets/main roads are the worst affected. If you're driving to a residential area and not planning on going out at night chances are you would be fine, but don't go if you're of a worrying disposition, as it won't be much of a holiday.

DeWe Mon 08-Aug-11 22:18:01

Legoland should be fine. It's in the middle of nowhere. Why don't you see if you can get a cheap travel lodge to stay in away from London. There's one in Sandhurst, I think, which is unlikely to start rioting and is fairly close.
I'd cut out Hackney too. Sorry.

SGertie Mon 08-Aug-11 22:18:49

Could you find a b&b near legoland? That way the dc still have their fun and you don't lose the tickets, but you won't havet the risks of going to what can only be described as a possible warzone.
Unless of course you are travelling by public transport and therefore need to go via central London

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 22:20:17

theres rumours on another thread that Harroe will kick off too...rumours

clpsmum Mon 08-Aug-11 22:23:44

The situation is I'm visiting my eldest friend who lives in homerton. She is the main reason we are going to London at all. She will collect us from airport and take us to her house. On wed pm she will drive us to another friends house who is in Harrow and we will stay there for the night and go to legoland with her on thurs. Friend in hackney will collect us thurs pm or fri am take us back to hers where we will stay another night or two then cone home. So can't really avoid the hackney bit of holiday

dearprudence Mon 08-Aug-11 22:26:16

What does your friend in homerton think? Does she think it feels safe?

HandMini Mon 08-Aug-11 22:27:33

Then you should ask the friend in Hackney for her honest view. She will be the best judge as to whether it's dangerous for her to make the journeys / for you to stay.

banana87 Mon 08-Aug-11 22:31:11

I would cancel TBH. Hackey is a mess, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near.

MooncupGoddess Mon 08-Aug-11 22:52:22

I don't think you will be in any personal danger, but if streets are shut it may be difficult to get around, and if trouble starts again the sirens/helicopters are a bit scary if you're not used to them. Maybe speak to your friend and take a view in the morning?

eurochick Mon 08-Aug-11 22:53:52

There are thousands of people living in Hackney who are just fine. Unless your friends are on the streets where the trouble is, it should be fine. If you see looting or a line of police, go another way!

clpsmum Tue 09-Aug-11 07:08:52

I honestly don't know what to do if it were just me I'd go just worried about taking
My dc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now