We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be in tears about the riots in Croydon

(81 Posts)
spudulika Mon 08-Aug-11 21:53:38

... watching the coverage tonight - West Croydon, just a mile from where I am, ablaze.

What's wrong with these people, wanting to destroy the jobs, lives and homes of the people who live there? It's such a deprived area anyway.

DS (7) is sobbing with fear because my SIL and their cousins live 200 yards from West Croydon station. Apparently there are gangs of youths with knives walking down their road.

sad
sad
sad

CarrieOakey Mon 08-Aug-11 21:54:39

sad I don't know what to say, it's awful. Sending you a hug even though we don't do that on mn sad

AngryFeet Mon 08-Aug-11 21:55:05

I am raging. Somebody do something!

AngryFeet Mon 08-Aug-11 21:55:44

I am also near you. Am in sander stead, where are you?

pigletmania Mon 08-Aug-11 21:56:51

Feral animals they are! The perpatrators are responsible for it nobody else!

SiamoFottuti Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:06

why are you letting a young child watch it though? Of course he is upset.

oldraver Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:21

I have loads of friends in Birmingham and its supposed to be kicking off there as well. Lots of very worried people

spudulika Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:41

I'm in SE25.

Don't think they'll be targeting Thornton Heath high street, unless they want to steal wigs and bibles.

Nowt else here. No electrical or jewellery shops so hopefully they won't do too much damage.

pigletmania Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:43

Get the army in now!

spudulika Mon 08-Aug-11 22:00:31

You're right. Should have turned the telly off. But my oldest had been following events online and kept charging in to the sitting room shouting things like 'They've torched KFC and Primark!' Thought it might be less frightening to know the facts than imagining things might be even worse.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 08-Aug-11 22:03:53

I wouldn't be so sure, spud. Apparently they're targetting off licences and small stores in the 'burbs'.

As I recall, there's a big Tesco on your small high street and you're not too far from the London Road which leads to West Croydon one way and Norbury/Streatham/Brixton the other.

tiddlerslate Mon 08-Aug-11 22:06:39

It's so sad. We're in wood green and the high street is a complete wreck.

natandjacob Mon 08-Aug-11 22:06:59

god, its awful isn't it sad there's too many people with no respect for others.

spudulika Mon 08-Aug-11 22:07:07

Feel so so sorry for the shopkeepers, especially those living above their shops.

They must be petrified.

ilovetomandjerry Mon 08-Aug-11 22:07:41

Spudulika - your comment about wigs and bibles made me smile amongst all this madness.

My sis and family are in Thornton Heath and she said she can smell the burning in Croydon. Her DS was also very scared and has gone to bed with all his old teddies apparently.

Keep safe.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 08-Aug-11 22:07:48

I moved to Canada from Croydon a few years ago. So sorry to hear that it has kicked off there. I was Croydon born and bred so I hate hearing about this kind of sh*t. I hope things improve.

spudulika Mon 08-Aug-11 22:09:01

I keep thinking I want to go down to the high street and punch looters.

angry

altinkum Mon 08-Aug-11 22:10:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hellishday Mon 08-Aug-11 22:10:54

Me too spud.
I want to get a tank and just run them down.
Can we unleash the polar bears from the zoo? That would scare the shit out of them.

I used to live in Thornton Heath off Green Lane and your comment re the wigs and bibles really did make me smile even though this is the most awful thing I have seen.

janelikesjam Mon 08-Aug-11 22:12:42

altinkum is that true? about time. I am very sorry about Croydon, it was part of my youth. Sadly it is not the place it was. If the army goes in, it will be a huge political manoeurve, or a fudge, there doesn'#t seem to be any middle ground any more...

CubiksRube Mon 08-Aug-11 22:13:36

I concur. We're in Peckham and it has finally quietened down, thank god. I saw children - CHILDREN - looting on their bikes. Looting fucking chocolate buttons and Doritos!

Buildings on fire, and civilians just standing around watching. Absolutely crazy, insane. On our road, which is normally so quiet - a nursery and a church. Insane.

I know exactly how you feel. Croydon looks horrific too.

Spuddybean Mon 08-Aug-11 22:14:15

My exH & cat live in selhurst - is it near there? I can't believe this is going on still.

Do you think it's reaction to the tough times? a kind of collective madness.

I laughed at your wig comment spud it really is a weird high street - I love the bad suits.

janelikesjam Mon 08-Aug-11 22:14:45

I am so sorry children involved. Very bad sign for the future ...

exoticfruits Mon 08-Aug-11 22:14:52

It is appalling. I just don't know what to say. I hope that those responsible are caught and made to pay for their actions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now