Talk

Advanced search

to skip pages at a time when reading bedtime books to my dd?

(13 Posts)
gonenative Mon 08-Aug-11 21:12:41

So if it's 7 pm, Im exhausted, she's exhausted, I'm reading....say.....a repetitive story /rhyme type book to my 2.5 yr old,and I turn 3 pages over at a time to skip a verse here and there, she's none the wiser, and I halve the time it take to get through reading it for the 975th time, could that be considered reasonable behaviour? Or downright mean and lazy?

And am I alone in this deviousness?

FourEyesGood Mon 08-Aug-11 21:14:42

If you can get away with it, it's fine, but if it's a book she's had more than once before (and definitely if it's the 975th time), she's bound to notice!

tyler80 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:14:43

Entirely reasonable and very lucky. My elephant daughter inherited my very good memory so no such shortcuts for me

Paschaelina Mon 08-Aug-11 21:15:14

YABU it will bite you on the bum one day. They always know, and if your DC is like my niece, they will tell you, loudly, exactly what you have missed. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life, you will be known as the Mummy Who Read the Bedtime Story WRONG!!!

wink

mistressploppy Mon 08-Aug-11 21:16:07

Yep, fine, just finished doing that very thing with DS grin

wigglesrock Mon 08-Aug-11 21:16:39

I remember my dad doing this to me and my sister grin until we cottoned on that Sleeping Beauty seemed to wake up very quickly. I did it to my dds until they were about 3, they'ree too smart for their own good. Mean, lazy, good God no grin

gonenative Mon 08-Aug-11 21:19:53

Reassuring to hear that you've all done it as well! I think my page skipping days are numbered too though, as she was querying the absence of the elephant in tonight's story.....

EdithWeston Mon 08-Aug-11 21:22:54

If you can still get away with it, then it's fine. But the little blighters do internalize every single word surprisingly quickly.

And it's even worse once they can read....

EndoplasmicReticulum Mon 08-Aug-11 21:23:32

Do it while you can get away with it. It won't be for much longer.

DeWe Mon 08-Aug-11 21:26:25

Fine. Done it with all of mine. If they're really tires I have been known to go straight from page 1 to the end.
And sometimes the story changes with snide asides or becomes a little macabre if they ask me to read it more than three times. Bob the builder failed to do a proper health and safety assessment once and ended up in A&E after nailing though a cable. Unfortunately the next time I read it, ds wanted the hospital story again... grin

BleurghUna Mon 08-Aug-11 21:43:00

Yes do it!! But don't skip pages, just skip some of the words on each page, then hopefully she won't notice. When she learns to read it won't be so straightforward. Do it while you still can!!

StopRainingPlease Mon 08-Aug-11 21:56:02

Oh yes, do it. Anyway, Winnie the Pooh is so much better with all the boring bits taken out smile.

fluffles Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:40

you'll be lucky to get away with it much longer. by the age of 4 i'd memorise books first time i heard them... i used to pretent to read by reciting the entire book, including knowing when each page should be turned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now