Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think this was bad of nationwide.?

(34 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 21:04:49

I'm on holiday, on my own with dd. In uk but far from home. My nationwide card appears to have been stopped, won't go into an ATM machine and I've tried several but I can use it in shops.

So I ring up nationwide to ask what is happening. I'm hoping it's not been cloned. If it has I understand why it's been stopped but for peace of mind would like to know hoe much has been taken, etc. If it's been stopped due to unusual activity I was hoping to say, hey I'm on holiday, unstop it.

So I go throu answering questions. I can answer most of them, dob, mothers maiden name, postcode, yes I have another service with you, email address. However I have no idea what year I opened my nationwide account nor do I know what my overdraft is. They can see in the however many years I have had the account I've never gone overdrawn so if I don't use it why would I know the limit. How many people know the year they opened the bank account.

So they refuse to discuss it with me. I ask to speak to a supervisor and one comes on the line. I tell them I've answered most of the questions and can also give more info that they haven't asked for such as I transferred a certain sum of money which I can disclose from a certain bank account, I can tell them the number of the other account and also the bank. I can tell them the acc no of the acc that pays my nationwide mortgage. I can tell them that every month a specific amount is transferred from a different account into my nationwide account and I can name the sum and the account.

No, not good enough. I need to know my overdraft limit and the year of account. The supervisor says there is nothing she can do, I have now failed security and she can't change that. Apparently I can not offer info but I have to answer questions. I asked her what I'm supposed to do as I'm on the second day of a holiday with no cash. She says it's for my own benefit. The nearest branch is a two hour drive away.

Luckily I do have a barclays debit card with me, not that I told nationwide that. At the time I realised my nationwide card was fucked I didn't have my barclays card with me and barclays in branch were lovely. Let me take money out without a card as I managed to answer their sensible security questions. Just so glad I have two current accounts. Oddly the reason I opened my nationwide one was incase I lost my barclays debit card or had it stopped on holiday. I get paranoid incase I lose one on holiday and keep them separate. Have got my barclays one to hand now thankfully

wicketkeeper Mon 08-Aug-11 21:23:29

This is a perennial nightmare - my DH travels a lot with business, and we tried to convince our bank to just give him carte blanche and by all means query transactions after the fact but not to block his card in the mean time. No can do. We have to tell them every time he goes anywhere (5 different countries in as many weeks, more to come, it's hard to remember what we've told them and what we haven't!!).
But it has improved - a couple of years ago my son was planning to travel in the States as part of his gap year, and being a bright boy he rang his bank and said, "I'm going to the States for 6 weeks, please don't block my card while I'm there" and they were unable to make a note on his file to that effect. I guess the current system of forewarning the bank is an improvement, but it's still a pain having to tell the bank every time you go away.
AND DH's card was cloned while he was in Belgium and $800 spent at gas stations in the States - and no-one queried it, we only noticed when the credit card bill arrived at the end of the month. Makes you wonder why you bother.

ivykaty44 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:30:13

I had the same with barclays - only I answered all the questions and correctly and I was in the branch where I opened the account and they had my signature on file - but they refused to go and look at it as ID.
They told me as well it was for my own good, I couldn't see not checking my signature was for my own good ?

i was stood in shorts and t shirt with no ID on me - they wanted a passport.

I have no idea why when I actually answered the questions correctly they refused to then speak to me - they told me the questions where asked and one was wrong...? Funny how they couldn't later tell me which question was answered wrongly when I had gone home and got my passport hmm and could then again go through the questions and answers on screen and show them I was correct?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 21:33:13

When i went to egypt i rang and told them and they said there is no need.

I don't think this weeks spending is out of norm. Only thing i can think is i filled up eith fuel ehen i left home, then six hours later got another 60 pounds of fuel. Maybe two tanks of diesel in a day is odd but i have a thirsty campervan

ivykaty44 Mon 08-Aug-11 22:16:00

when I telephoned the NationWideNicomPoops and told them I was going to India - the girls on the phone tried to tell me they wouldn't have cash points in India hmm and there wouldn't be anywhere to use my debit card hmm As it wasn't a country that was very advanced shock

Baffledandbewildered Mon 08-Aug-11 22:33:46

I took out £100 where I live and then travelled to London approx 2 hour drive later that day I tried to take out more cash as my son was returning to uni and my card was stopped. The day before I had been discharged from hospital so was still poorly and suffering a chest infection, eventually after walking up and down in the January rain I found an hsbc and was informed that the card was stopped for MY security. Well to be honest the bloody bank staff would have needed security if I had any strength left. Left that bank on my return home as they couldn't see the problem and I needed new antibiotics to rub salt in the wound. God I hate banks being "helpful". !!!!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 22:55:12

Unless there has been a very good reason for my card being stopped I'm shutting my account down with them. I could have forgiven them being overzealous with their stopping of my card if their customer service people were more helpful. Its the twatty attitude of the staff that makes the situation worse. I just can't understand why they won't at least talk to me about it when I can give them a dozen security answers but not the two they want.
As far as nationwide think , I'm stranded in rural Wales on my own with a kid, no food, no money, no petrol and no way home. They didn't give a shit.

Lillyofthevalley Mon 08-Aug-11 22:57:22

You would soon be complaining if your card got stolen / cloned and the bank did not put a stop on it before you noticed! YABVVU

Sorry but the banks are right when they say its for our protection. Had Barclays put a stop on my card once because of unusal usage - although no fraud involved I was jolly glad that they are on the ball. Rather the incovienence/embaressment of reinstating my card then some scumbag making off with my money!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 23:03:10

I'm not complaining about it being stopped but about the fact they won't talk to me about it. If it's been stopped for the reasons I think it has been then if they would talk to me about it then I could say that yes I did buy two lots of diesel in one day, please unblock my card so I can carry on with my holiday.

That is rubbish. I have a set if questions agreed with my bank that I know the answer to, much better than them being able to pick and choose.

They have never stopped my card, but if I have an unusual spending day or two I often get a call from the fraud department to check it is me who has used the card, which I like.

wannabesybil Mon 08-Aug-11 23:21:25

I had my bag stolen in town, and as I was near a branch of Nationwide I went in to stop my main card.

They sat me down, gave me a cup of tea, allowed me to use their phone to stop my none Nationwide credit cards, checked I was okay and how I was going to get home (which I hadn't thought of). When they found I had no money on me and a long walk ahead, they checked my signature on file and gave me an advance of £20 to keep me going. They were absolutely lovely.

It just goes to show, but they were staff in the flesh rather than in the remote Sheffield call centre. I think that makes a difference.

(btw that was the same week as I was made redundant and the bag had P45 etc in it and also our psycho cat fell suddenly ill and died, the first pet I had lost. I was glad to see the back of that week).

redexpat Mon 08-Aug-11 23:26:06

ivykaty are you serious? grin

Muckyhighchair Mon 08-Aug-11 23:45:50

Don't talk to me about nationwide!

Really pissed me off today.

The ATM wasn't working, so went inside to make a cash withdraw. Sorry we can't do it because you need to take more then 100

I want to take out 70, don't have 100 in my bank.

We can't do it, go the postoffice but I bank with nationwide not the postoffice

There's no blinking postoffice open, shut for whatever reason.

Went back to nationwide, can't help you!

All this while walking on crucths as broken my foot, and the postoffice is the other end of town.

So I couldn't get any money.

Blikning great.

* who's great idea was that?*

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 23:50:37

Ooooh, I wonder if my card would let me get cash out at a post office. All my holiday money is in my nationwide account. That is bad Mucky that you can't take less than £100 out.

pinkdelight Tue 09-Aug-11 06:12:53

Legal and General have similar very stupid questions around when you started your pension with them. I got so frustrated at their robotic attitude asking me this dumb question - how would I remember a dull fact like that from years ago. And it's especially infuriating when you just want to make an enquiry. It's not like you can do anything criminal with the info. It's just. Madness to disempower the staff so they can't make discretionary decisions like a human being. Really feel for you. Angry letter time at the very least.

whackamole Tue 09-Aug-11 07:22:28

I do understand where you are coming from, but do you really think it is viable to have a personalised list of questions for each customer? They have to be standardised!

As a bank employee, you would be very surprised the amount of people that can't even answer mother's maiden name - despite giving it at the opening of the account. (Also despite only having ONE mother's maiden name, a lot of people insist it could be 'on or the other').

Also it is classic fraudster behaviour to create a fuss about the questions and insist they have other information which should help them be identified.

scaryteacher Tue 09-Aug-11 07:35:57

I find it frustrating when Lloyds block my debit card as I live abroad and sometimes use my UK card for cash here. They let debit card transactions in shops go through and when you ring and say, card blocked again at cashpoint, you get put through to Fraud who say, it was being used overseas. Yes,that's because I live overseas and you bloody know that! The other excuse is that your card may have been compromised - but when you ask when and where, you can't get an answer.

ZonkedOut Tue 09-Aug-11 07:47:23

I have had banks ask me questions I couldn't answer before, and they have asked different questions instead. I think it's perfectly understandable to not remember what year you opened an account in, certainly if it's more than say 5 years ago. And I don't know my overdraft limit either, because it was one that they just gave me, and I don't actually use. So YANBU.

HoneyPablo Tue 09-Aug-11 07:52:59

YANBU
We have a joint account that was DH's account before that. I don't know what year he opened the account. I can give them the decade, but not the year. As for the overdraft, that would have to be a guess as well.
Since when did I have to let the bank know when I go on holiday? If I have got a cashpoint machine I should be able to use it wherever I am.

HoneyPablo Tue 09-Aug-11 07:53:43

cashpoint card not machine. Though that would be nice.

Sewmuchtodo Tue 09-Aug-11 09:52:50

How odd Mucky. I went into nationwide last Friday to withdraw £2000. I didn't realise that the daily limit for anyone was £500 over the counter but because I nipped home and brought in some ID (passport and drivers licence) they allowed me to withdraw £1900 over the counter + my daily limit of £300 from the cashline. This was at the managers discression as I wanted to pay for a last min holiday.

They were very helpfull and told me that if any customer wishes to withdraw more than £500 they need to give the branch 24hrs notice.

If I were you I would call/email/write to the branch and ask them why you were refused access to your money?

ivykaty44 Tue 09-Aug-11 18:34:41

redexpat - sadly yes this person is living in ignorance of the rest of the world it would seem

joric Tue 09-Aug-11 18:43:56

Phone them again- I bet you'll talk to a different operator and supervisor.. Just keep phoning them.

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 09-Aug-11 19:01:32

I hate nationwide, every branch I have ever been in the staff have been condescending and aloof. I much prefer HSBC where they train their staff to smile and be helpful.

NemesisoftheVole Tue 09-Aug-11 19:13:11

I went in to cancel my credit card and flexaccount - I opened them for travel, then they added fees. Ibqueued in one queue to be told I was in the wrong queue. Queued in the other queue where the woman told me that I couldn't cancel the credit card in branch and that, even though the accounts are linked on their system, I couldn't cancel the flex account without the card, because they would have to report the card lost and order another one. Because I can't be trusted to cut up the card hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now