Talk

Advanced search

To take DD(5) and DS(3) along to a beauty treatment tomorrow

(22 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:00:22

When I say beauty treatment it is actually a bikini wax. I'm a bit stuck as need to get it done and we are going on holiday the following day. I wasn't expecting to have the kids with me at the time of the appointment but I have now. Obviously they couldn't be in the treatment room with me when I am having it done so they would need to sit outside. They are well behaved children and would sit quietly and wouldn't be any bother. But I wouldn't be able to see them and would mean that the spa stuff would invariably feel like they were watching over them/looking after them.

I know the answer, i'm going to have to cancel aren't I?

FabbyChic Mon 08-Aug-11 21:04:28

Use a razor does the same job and hurts less.

PinkSchmoo Mon 08-Aug-11 21:04:28

Ask the salon.

Penthesileia Mon 08-Aug-11 21:06:54

Call the salon and ask. They may be used to it. The lovely lady who de-yetis me is happy for my DD (3) to sit in the room and watch a DVD or look at a book while she tortures waxes me, although admittedly, it's only 1/2 leg & underarm, not bikini... I am always more worried about passing on sexist and insidious beauty/body messages to my DD than I am that she'll get stuck in the hot wax. grin

Sexolette Mon 08-Aug-11 21:09:11

I would just take them into the room if the salon are ok with it.

thisisyesterday Mon 08-Aug-11 21:11:37

yes, you will have to cancel. you can't expect the salon staff to watch your kids i don't think.

no chance of a friend being able to help out at all?

Rollergirl1 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:16:48

I tried to call today but couldn't actually speak to anyone. I wouldn't be bothered about them being in the room if it was a leg wax. But I know that DD will be really inquisitive about what's going on and probably be asking lots of questions and just thought might be a bit awkward.

iskra Mon 08-Aug-11 21:17:30

Can you bring a DVD & take them in with you? I am not sure about leaving them sitting outside.

rempy Mon 08-Aug-11 21:17:46

Mmmmmmmm.......................................

Cancel.

Rollergirl1 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:20:18

thisisyesterday: No I know, I think that would be a real liberty.

Have asked a few and no joy. It's a salon in a fitness centre and there is a creche so mabye that might be an option.

MerylStrop Mon 08-Aug-11 21:21:02

Most poshish places won't allow you to take children along - on the basis that people are paying good money for facials etc and kids might possibly disturb them etc.

Buy some immac?

HeyYouJimmy Mon 08-Aug-11 21:32:30

I agree with Fabby again grin. Using a razor should take less time, hurt less and cost less too.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 08-Aug-11 21:34:44

Cancel, and get a Venus razor. Bikini waxes should be done in private, they are not a spectator sport for small children

edwinbear Mon 08-Aug-11 21:35:27

I think it depends on the salon, mine have always said that weekday afternoons when they aren't busy, they have no problem with me taking DS with me, either to sit in the room, or one of the staff will keep an eye on him if I would prefer.

bringmesunshine2009 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:37:24

The salon I wanted to go to for eyelash extensions turned me away with a 4 week old baby as 'they weren't insured to have more than 2 people in a room and they wouldn't watch him' (as if I'd let them) anyhow. Blind fury. Cancel. Veet sensitive. 6 mins, all done, no pain. Patch test.

bringmesunshine2009 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:38:31

Ps went to vietnamese shop up the road in the end. The woman called in her teenage daughter and got her to sit next to me, whilst the daughter held DS and I could touch his foot! Big tips.

PacificDogwood Mon 08-Aug-11 21:40:12

The place I go to occasionally has children sitting in the waiting area.
I don't really see the issue if your girls are happy for a few minutes on their own.

I thought you were going to say, you were taking your DDs to have a beauty treatment done. I was going to wade in all guns blazing grin.

Penthesileia Mon 08-Aug-11 21:47:19

bringmesunshine: the way you wrote your message makes it seem you Veeted your eyelashes in some kind of hairy protest. grin

Rollergirl1 Mon 08-Aug-11 21:51:34

I have never used Veet/Immac and wouldn't have a fucking clue what to do. Will try and speak to the spa staff in the morning and see what they say. I think if was just DD would be more inclined to let her in the room with me if they were okay with it. But not sure that DS really needs to be a spectator to a "brazilian" at the age of 3. Talk about putting the poor lad off women for life!

Pacific: Heh, I would have to have a death wish to post something like that in AIBU with all you MN vipers!

PacificDogwood Mon 08-Aug-11 21:55:32

grin You are not wrong there!

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 08-Aug-11 21:57:15

i took my then 3 year old ds to a smear appoinment....he doesn't remember.

i can never find child care, so i had to take him.

Muckyhighchair Mon 08-Aug-11 22:11:08

Book a home waxer, if you ask nicely she may be able to fit you in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now