Talk

Advanced search

I'm not trying to sell you anything, honestly....

(8 Posts)
RedHotPokers Mon 08-Aug-11 17:10:23

God this trend of salespeople phoning you up to try to persuade you they aren't trying to sell you anything, when they obviously are, is driving me INSANE.

Saelsperson: 'Good morning madam, this is not a sales call, I'm just phoning to tell you we are going to be in your area providing obligation-free quotes.'

Me: 'Quotes for what?'

Salesperson: 'What sort of projects do you have in mind?'

Me: 'I've no idea, what are you trying to sell me?'

Salesperson: 'I'm not trying to sell you anything'

Me: 'Then why are you phoning me?'

Salesperson: 'To find out whether you have any projects you would like an obligation free quote for.'

Me: 'So you are trying to sell me your building services?'

Salesperson: 'No I'm not selling anything.'

Me: 'The why are you phoning me, just cos you fancied a chat' GAH!

Rant over!
AIBU or do these people not realise noone is fooled by the 'not a sales call' line.

<disclaimer: I realise it is a tough job, I used to work in a call centre myself, but FFS!>

nocake Mon 08-Aug-11 17:11:56

Being a soldier in Afganistan is a tough job. Working as a doctor or nurse in a busy A&E is a tough job. Cold calling people to flog them double glazing is not a tough job.

Mrsxstitch Mon 08-Aug-11 17:12:54

Drives me mad too.

Mitmoo Mon 08-Aug-11 17:19:21

Register with the Telephone Preference Service if they phone you again they can be fined thousands.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html

MMQC Mon 08-Aug-11 17:19:27

I took a call for my husband recently from his credit card company. I asked if they were trying to sell anything, because he wouldn't be interested. They said 'no, I'm just making him aware of a new product we have'. At which point I hung up!

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Mon 08-Aug-11 17:22:39

The moment anyone says 'honestly' it tells me they are lying!

Mitmoo Mon 08-Aug-11 17:23:42

The ones that annoy me are "Hello my name is George, Harry, Michael, Susan, Mary, Julia (chose) and I'd like to talk to you about xx".

In a totally foreign barely understandable accent. I feel like shouting "You're not George, your parents gave you a name to be proud of, use it".

And ps. can we have our bliddy call centres back please?

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Aug-11 17:31:04

I find they're usually "doing a survey", which after a couple of questions is always a survey into "can we sell you our product?". But it's always "Not a sales call" Right.... hmm

Or they're trying to "fix the problem with your computer", when there isn't a problem (but will be if you go to their virus-infested wbesite for their "help").

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now