Talk

Advanced search

...To just go round and knock on the door?

(15 Posts)
UmYeahLikeTotally Mon 08-Aug-11 16:50:11

My first thread in AIBU so please be kind!

OH and I have been looking for a new house to rent for a while now, and nothing at all has come up which would be worth our while to move. They are all around the same price (looking to save some money), or very small.

FINALLY we have found a house that we both love. Good area, very reasonable price (£75pm less than we are paying now). We drove past last night and had a peek in the window as it is currently unoccupied due to refurbishment, both really excited as it looks great!

I called the estate agent this morning to arrange a formal viewing, they said that as it is being refurbished no-one can look around for 2 weeks. They are taking a list of names for viewings, although there are so many people enquiring that they have actually taken it off of Rightmove. It was only on there for 2 days!!! There will be people on the list who can move in straight away, we will need to give 1 months notice to our current landlord...who are they going to choose?!

I called them back a bit later and said we don't care about he state of the house, that if they allowed us to look around we could tell them right then and there if we wanted to take it. They said no because of the health and safety.

Anyway, OH and I are so gutted about this, we want it so desperately! I have to submit DD's school application next month, and this new address would be so beneficial with getting her into the school we want. We already know the houses, their size etc as my sister had a friend who lived on the same road. The only thing we are worried about is the state of the kitchen/bathroom.

AIBU to just go round there tomorrow morning and knock on the door? Even if they don't let us in, we can at least ask them what work they are doing. Is it too cheeky? Our thoughts are that if we know that they are putting in a new kitchen/the existing one is OK, even if we don't see it we will put in an offer.

We need to get in before everyone else or we won't have a chance! We could get the ball rolling while giving our notice, and by the time they have finished refurbishment we should be good to move in.

I don't know if this is really a good idea or not. Would you be really pissed off as a landlord if someone just turned up off the street to enquire about your house?

kittensliveupstairs Mon 08-Aug-11 16:51:41

I think it is a good idea, you've nothing to lose and a cheaper flat to gain.

Catslikehats Mon 08-Aug-11 16:56:19

You've got nothing to lose and the landlord has got everything to gain since he could rent directly to you and lose the (not terribly helpful) Estate Agent.

caughtinanet Mon 08-Aug-11 17:02:28

Yes definitely call round. I wouldn't think twice about it - good luck with jumping the queue, early bird ....

caughtinanet Mon 08-Aug-11 17:02:28

Yes definitely call round. I wouldn't think twice about it - good luck with jumping the queue, early bird ....

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 08-Aug-11 17:03:48

Did the house have a 'To Let' board up outside?

If not, when you visit say that you spotted work being done and are wondering if the house will be up for sale or rent.

If the owner of the house is not there, ask the builders when they're expecting to see him so that you can call back, or ask for his phone number.

Don't mention the agents!!

Milliways Mon 08-Aug-11 17:07:00

I would. Our neighbour bought their house without even seeing it! The owners were elderly & ill, so they wrote and offerred over the asking price and secured the sale (Estate Agent had many people waiting to look round, lots of development potential / large plot with tiny house etc) and they got it.

ZillionChocolate Mon 08-Aug-11 17:07:16

Did you give a name to the estate agent? If you and OH have different surnames, I'd use the other one so it's more difficult to make the connection.

CurrySpice Mon 08-Aug-11 17:08:49

Do it - nothing to lose!

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 08-Aug-11 17:12:25

If you do, definitely don't mention that you've spoken to the agents. It needs to look spur-of-the-moment.

Good luck smile

UmYeahLikeTotally Mon 08-Aug-11 21:53:17

oh wow, good response! Thanks all, we are going to do it...fingers crossed!

SaffronCake Mon 08-Aug-11 21:56:24

It's cheeky...

(But I've done it before blush)

UmYeahLikeTotally Mon 08-Aug-11 21:59:48

But did it work?! grin

Tanif Tue 09-Aug-11 13:42:16

If the house had been occupied I'd have said YABVU, but if it's just workmen/the landlord then why not?

As an aside we had people knocking on the door when our previous property was put up to rent during our months notice. They couldn't seem to get it through their thick skulls that the house was OUR HOME and no, we wouldn't let people traipse through just because they'd seen a to let sign and to call the fucking estate agent and do it properly. Ditto people that came and peered through out front window. I waved to one lot of them, they had the audacity to wave back and keep peering, before attempting to hop our back garden fence to 'have a look around the garden'. Bloody ignorant if you ask me.

OddBoots Tue 09-Aug-11 13:44:46

Give it a go but if they have a list then don't b surprised if the agent suggests they put the price up now or at the next renewal time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now