Talk

Advanced search

to be so angry that the bank has allowed a direct debit to go through on DSS's account

(16 Posts)
ladydeedy Mon 08-Aug-11 16:38:23

even though it is an account especially for 11-18 year olds and the terms and conditions specify that no DDs or standing orders are permitted on it.

How could the direct debit ever have been applied to his account when it is specifically designed to protect young people from signing up to accounts online? Surely it should have been rejected.

Have called the bank to complain - they are unable to answer how it happened (presumably other kids in the same boat?) and say they will refund his money once they have conducted an investigation.

I have told them it's not good enough. It was their mistake and he should get money back asap. And should guarantee that their processes do not allow any DDs or SOs to be applied to this type of account.

Grrrr. Waiting to hear back. Will go to Radio 4 Moneybox if I hear nothing soon....

worraliberty Mon 08-Aug-11 16:39:53

YANBU to expect it not to have happened

But YABU to say conducting an investigation before a refund isn't good enough

ladydeedy Mon 08-Aug-11 16:40:47

they should refund the money and then do the investigation as they should never have allowed money to be taken in the first place.

Mrsxstitch Mon 08-Aug-11 16:41:18

YANBU, name and shame.

worraliberty Mon 08-Aug-11 16:43:02

How old is your step son?

2blessed2bstressed Mon 08-Aug-11 16:45:06

So did he sign up to something then?

ladydeedy Mon 08-Aug-11 16:54:38

he is 15. his mother has a contract phone for him which she has paid for, for the past year (he didnt want one but she insisted). she's now tired of paying for it, marched him into the phone shop, got him to hand over his bank details and say "I agree" down the phone to the phone provider against his will. he told us this when he got home but we didnt worry because we knew his account doesnt accept direct debits.
But despite that payment has been taken.

prettyfly1 Mon 08-Aug-11 18:06:58

Legally if I am not very much mistaken, credit accounts, such as mobile phones are not valid if signed for by a minor, even if the parent co-signs.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 08-Aug-11 18:09:28

pretty's right, the only thing an under 18 can sign a contract for is marriage (if they have parental consent) and education.

fedupofnamechanging Mon 08-Aug-11 18:12:31

Under the direct debit guarantee, the bank ought to refund you first and then look into the matter. If it concludes that the money was lawfully taken, then they can re debit the account.

FabbyChic Mon 08-Aug-11 18:51:51

I hope you are sorting out the bitch of his mother.

whackamole Mon 08-Aug-11 18:52:24

They should have claimed the funds through an indemnity, cancelled the DD and then started the investigation. It doesn't need to be 'refunded' at this stage just claimed back (or if it was not paid then any charges refunded).

To be fair, what are you expecting? If they can't tell you over the phone how it happened, then they will needto do an investigation before they can tell you this. Unfortunately, sometimes this sort of this does happen - if they don't investigate then it could quite easily happen again.

kiki22 Mon 08-Aug-11 19:32:28

Any body under 16 are not entitled to be incharge of there own finances is parents responsible for them, phone shop would not have check ID unfortunatly. Bank will do an indemnity which can take up to 14 days there will be nothing they can do faster due to procedure unless you make a formal complaint but under FSA guidelines they have up to 4 weeks to resolve complaint. More than likely they will be looking into the terms and conditions to check they were in the wrong as its impossible to know all T&C off hand and need to go through proper procedure to log dis sat.

Once child turns 16 (not 18 as ppl think) they are in charge of all there own financial affairs and protected under data protection act so parents can no longer gain access/info on childs finances without permission.

Have worked in finance for 5 yrs.

kiki22 Mon 08-Aug-11 19:33:57

Infact may not be able to do indemnity as error is on banks part not debitors which the DD guarentee protects against... not a bank i work for but sure this is how it would work.

ladydeedy Tue 09-Aug-11 07:51:07

I did laugh at the "bitch of a mother" comment. That's one of the reasons why DSS lives with us - he couldnt bear living with her and left over a year ago.
He hasnt entered into a credit agreement - the contract still remains in her name, but she has forced him to hand over his bank details to pay the bill. Whatever the case, the DD should never have been applied to the type of account he has, which is one specifically designed for young people and which does not (allegedly!) allow direct debits or standing orders.
Going to phone them again today. Was promised on
Friday that someone would call me over weekend, Monday at latest....

goinggetstough Tue 09-Aug-11 09:48:35

My DS age 17 was not allowed to sign for his phone contract or give his bank details, I had to do it. You had to be over 18... so maybe this is an exception to what kiki22 said about being responsible for their own financial affairs after their 16th birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now