Talk

Advanced search

To think its possible to be 'clean' without being 'tidy'

(80 Posts)
VelveteenRabbit Mon 08-Aug-11 12:44:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:45:19

Perfectly possible grin

My house is spotlessly clean, but totally cluttered.. I just move the clutter from one place to another while I clean...

ZZZenAgain Mon 08-Aug-11 12:45:35

I don't really know. I suppose if a house looks messy with a lot of things lying about ... err hem... it might strike people as dirty even if you have essentially cleaned it but stuff is strewn about on top of your cleaned surfaces IYSWIM

IAmTheCookieMonster Mon 08-Aug-11 12:46:22

YANBU

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 12:46:37

Well I've heard this.....a friend says it a lot.BUT..... What is under all that mess,untidiness and clutter??

Imnotaslimjim Mon 08-Aug-11 12:47:22

YANBU at all, My house sounds just like yours. I clean my bathroom and loo every day, hoover and mop every day and I keep on top of the washing but it doesn't always get put straight away. Dishes go straight in the dishwasher. That ony goes on every other day though cos its a fairly big one so we wait til its full

But my house doesn't smell, and there is nothing festering in the corners. We're just a bit cluttered!

cuteboots Mon 08-Aug-11 12:49:06

My house is clean as Im at work all day but please dont look under my bed. The attic also hides a lot of stuff that Im trying to get rid of but havent managed as yet !!

borderslass Mon 08-Aug-11 12:49:10

Course it's possible my house was always clean when the kids where little but messy now their grown up its clean and tidy [most of the time]

CurrySpice Mon 08-Aug-11 12:49:20

Why do you think people assume it's dirty? Has someone said something??

zookeeper Mon 08-Aug-11 12:50:41

definitely. (sits looking at messy piles of clean washing)

TheMonster Mon 08-Aug-11 12:51:25

YANBU at all. My house is clean but untidy. I had an argument a discussion with a friend the other day about it. She is single, lives alone and has a cleaner. I live with DP, DS (4) and two dogs. We both work full time.

marriedinwhite Mon 08-Aug-11 12:53:54

Clean but untidy here (although tidiness is in the eye of the beholder - I think it's fine, DH thinks it's shocking)

Gissabreak Mon 08-Aug-11 12:55:26

Message withdrawn

sparkle12mar08 Mon 08-Aug-11 12:55:49

Perfectly possible yes, but a damn site harder and a lot more unlikely.

<surveys own very cluttered living room, hall, spare room, etc. Sigh>

lubeybooby Mon 08-Aug-11 12:55:55

To some extent yes - if the untidiness is just kids toys and a day or two worth of general clutter then yes it can be clean under that lot. If it's piles of stuff that have been there ages then it would be very difficult to be properly clean

nickelbabe Mon 08-Aug-11 12:56:40

definitely possible.
we're experts at it! grin

basically, you move the junk out of the way to clean, then you put it all back again (usually because it has no home of its own)

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 12:58:22

How often do you all pull the furniture out??

Do it today, then come back and fess up!!grin

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 08-Aug-11 13:00:58

How do you wipe counters if they're covered in things? Ditto mopping floors?

If you mean that you tidy up, then clean, then let it get untidy until the next time you clean (which in the case of the kitchen counters, would be within the day anyway, right?), well, you're probably not that untidy. Real untidiness is piles that clearly never move from their place, not things that have gravitated out of their designated place within the last 24 hours.

SiamoFottuti Mon 08-Aug-11 13:02:37

Of course you can be clean without being tidy, however that does not mean that it is a pleasant place to be. It might be, but clean isn't all that matters.

VelveteenRabbit Mon 08-Aug-11 13:02:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LucyLastik Mon 08-Aug-11 13:02:42

Well, my house is not only untidy, but dirty as well. 3 DCs and a lack of space for them to get out of my face go and play means I just can't get anything done.

Fortunately, SIL is taking the kids off my hands this afternoon so I can go on a proper cleaning spree. It's hard to know where to start tbh.

Ephiny Mon 08-Aug-11 13:07:04

You often have to tidy up a bit before you can clean though - we always do some tidying the day before the cleaner's due, so she has clear floors/surfaces to clean! I guess you could just move the clutter around while you clean, but surely that's no less effort than just putting stuff away...

We do get a bit untidy in between cleaning days though. It doesn't bother me, a bit of clutter and mess never hurt anyone.

Teachermumof3 Mon 08-Aug-11 13:07:06

i dont put things away, i rarely tidy up more than once a day, my life is messy and cluttered

What sort of things don't you put away? What is the mess/clutter and where is it?

nickelbabe Mon 08-Aug-11 13:16:27

more than once a day????
once a week would be good for us....

most mess/clutter is things like post that has been opened but not dealt with, magazines that you are in the middle of reading (or will read when you get round to it!), towels or clothes that you can't be bothered to put away, things that go in that drawer there, when you are comfy on the settee and that drawer is too far away , books, plastic bags that need to go in the porch, shoes that need to go in the porch, that trowel that really should go back in the porch but you CBA because you know damn well in 10 minutes the chickens will wander into the house and poo on the carpet, the carpet cleaner that you've had out to clean up said poo and you CBA to put it back in the kitchen, things that you have moved out of your way because you need to practise the piano, but can't be bothered to move back because you're so exhausted from the piano practice, etc etc.

halcyondays Mon 08-Aug-11 13:23:37

If you have a lot of clutter it makes it difficult to clean. I hoover, clean kitchen surfaces, keep the loo clean etc. But if you have surfaces piled with crap, like my kitchen table at the moment you can't clean them unless you move everything. I do a bit of tidying every day but have a lot of clutter that needs sorting through, e.g paperwork, clothes. I'm doing Flylady again and am determined to stick with it this time.

I can understand why people say that, some people have floors and surfaces covered in stuff permanently so they can't be cleaning them unless they move all the stuff first. That's different from having toys lying about and other stuff which is tidied away at the end of the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now