Talk

Advanced search

would you buy your small daughter this doll

(12 Posts)
cuteboots Mon 08-Aug-11 12:40:29

On the news last week they were discussing a doll that allows the child to simulate breast feeding!? What are your views?! Apparently its doing really well in the states and is heading our way! The little child puts on some type of vest and then when the doll is held near it makes strange sucking noises!?

worraliberty Mon 08-Aug-11 12:42:33

Oh I hate dolls that crap, wee, fart and puke so to me this just another gimmick

Then again, I have 3 boys and hated dolls as a kid anyway so I'm probably not the best person to answer grin

NotJustKangaskhan Mon 08-Aug-11 12:48:54

No, but I don't like dolls that make noise.

And I really don't see the point - my kids have all been able to mimic BF just by putting their dolls/stuffed animals/other inanimate objects of their choosing to their chests and seem quite happy without it making noises.

SummerRain Mon 08-Aug-11 12:51:24

No... but only because i like dolls that stimulate the imagination, not all singing all dancing noisy monstrosities that eat batteries.

dd does bf her dolls and asks me to do it (still bf-ing ds2) but tbh she's not hugely into dolls, playmobil and sylvanians are her toys of choice most of the time.

SiamoFottuti Mon 08-Aug-11 12:51:45

I wouldn't buy any of those dolls, bottle or BF, but I don't see any problem with this over and above the problems I have with baby dolls in general. If you are going to have FF dolls, you should also have BF dolls.

pozzled Mon 08-Aug-11 12:54:36

No, but only because I don't really see the point. A small child can pretend to bf a doll without any 'batteries not included' gadgets. But if my DD was playing with a doll and looking after it, I'd be quite pleased to see her 'bfing' it.

messymammy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:54:52

I wouldn't buy it as dd would inevitably break it and has a hundred other dolls in her room, but I don't care about it really. Like the others have said, its easier to just put baby up your top than mess around putting a vest on a doll.

although a bottle coming with all the dolls does annoy me, can't quite put my finger on why though (suspect there are lots of reasons) but until formula companies start producing dolls with their brand formula bottles, I'll survive!

juuule Mon 08-Aug-11 12:57:21

No - I'm another one who doesn't see the point of them.

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Mon 08-Aug-11 12:57:59

No I wouldn't buy it. There's just something a bit odd about a child putting on a vest to stimulate breast feeding... I think it's really cute when they 'bf' and or bf their dolls - but they don't need a vest for the bf'ing.

Francagoestohollywood Mon 08-Aug-11 13:03:41

I can't really see the point, I've seen my dd breastfeeding or bottle feeding or cuddling or feeding lego to all the dolls she has.

Clothilde Mon 08-Aug-11 13:59:02

I wouldn't buy it, because, like the other posters, I prefer toys where the child has to do the imagining. Having said that, I also wouldn't buy my daughter a doll that came with a bottle for bottle feeding. I think that in places where kids don't see a lot of breastfeeding, it might be a nice way to counteract all the formula images that children are shown.

halcyondays Mon 08-Aug-11 16:06:04

I wouldn't rush out to buy it, but if someone gave them it as a present I wouldn't object to it. But children can pretend to breastfeeding any doll if they want to, no need to buy a special doll. They're probably not cheap either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now