Talk

Advanced search

to NOT give these work men a cuppa?

(12 Posts)
MadKatz Mon 08-Aug-11 12:23:02

Opinions please, here's the history... (sorry for the long post)

We are in a rental property and our old garage door would not lift properly, totally knackered and was eventually condemned and permanently sealed until a new one was available.

Work man phoned me to advise would order new door and then ring me to book a date to come and fit. Didn't hear anything for ages so complained to the agency we rent through. They phoned him and he told them he had rung and booked a date with us! Eventually sorted out a date with him - today. Took an annual leave day as we don't like anyone entering our house when we're not here.

Cleared some bits from the front of the garage this morning to give them some room (I am 32 weeks pregnant). I finished just after 9am and then text the handyman as they hadn't turned up yet. He text back saying they were just picking up the door and would be here just after 10. They turned up at ten to eleven with no garage door, saying they couldn't get it in their van, but that they had arranged for someone to bring it down later, and proceeded to take the old door off. Worried about the weather with no door on as very changeable here today.

I phoned the agency and told them what happened and that I wasn't happy. For a start I would expect someone in this sort of trade to be here around half 8 or if I was 'booked in' later in the day to give me a time beforehand. The fact that they said it would take all day to do I expected them here earlier than 11am - half the day's already gone! The fact that he lied about booking the appointment in the 1st place and now not even got the door...grrr am fuming! Have told the agency not bothered how long they're here today it has to get finished as DH works away and I can't take another day off.

Normally I am a very accommodating friendly person, willing to give anyone the time of day, normally give a workman a cuppa, etc. But this has really p***ed me off and I just think I want them to get the job done and go and not have bother with my normal niceties of tea and potentially biscuits.

AIBU?

MissJanuary Mon 08-Aug-11 12:35:51

You are a client not a cafe, YANBU

MadKatz Mon 08-Aug-11 12:37:36

Thanks MissJanary smile

squeakytoy Mon 08-Aug-11 12:37:46

Make the poor sods a cup of tea. They might just hurry up and get the job done quicker once the door arrives. Presumably they know you are not actually the person who is paying for the work.

ChitChattingagain Mon 08-Aug-11 12:37:50

Just tell them to let you know 1) when the door arrives and 2) when the job is finished. Otherwise you will be inside resting and dont' want to be disturbed!.

Cheeky sods.

MadKatz Mon 08-Aug-11 13:27:13

The doors arrived and they're putting it on now grin

Georgimama Mon 08-Aug-11 13:28:50

Make them a cup of tea you misery.

AandK Mon 08-Aug-11 13:33:32

sqeakytoy Why is she not paying for the work??

She pays for the house she pays for the work!!!

and No I wouldn't make them a bloody brew neither good service gets rewarded not bad smile

upahill Mon 08-Aug-11 13:33:37

The work men that have been working on my house normally bring their own brew in a flask.

If I was you I would make them a brew when you make yourself one.

NattersAndMutters Mon 08-Aug-11 13:43:36

I don't understand what the OP was moaning about. They've come on the arranged day and are doing the job. Give the poor sods a chance.

diddl Mon 08-Aug-11 13:46:23

I never known workmen to not bring their own.

purplepidjin Mon 08-Aug-11 13:52:19

I would normally say yabu, make the poor sods a drink because they're doing a hard day's labour. However, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to cope from 11 til 2 without a tea break!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now