Talk

Advanced search

To ask for 50% of my service fee back

(9 Posts)
smoggii Mon 08-Aug-11 11:33:15

I had a bathroom fitted by a large DIY chain. 17 mths after the installation started, it's finally finished.

It has taken this long because problems kept occuring, the fitting was substandard, holes were left in external walls (not filled as they should have been) causing water ingress and damaging cavity wall insulation - I had another builder fill these when I discovered the problem. I had to get an emergency plumber out to fix a toilet that hadn't been fitted properly plus several other issues including faulty cabinets and leaking bath which damaged newly plastered kitchen ceiling.

The bathroom cost £4600 of that installation was £2700. I think that 17 months to get it done properly is ridiculous. Am I being unreasonable, now that all the problems have been corrected, to ask for 50% of the installation fee back.

I am fairly sure that their service standard isn't that a bathroom will be fitted within 17 mths therefore I think they havn't delivered the service I paid for.

Gonzo33 Mon 08-Aug-11 11:36:05

YANBU. I would have gone for the jugular by now. 17 mths is far too long on my patience scale.

smoggii Mon 08-Aug-11 11:41:12

Mine too Gonzo33 but in that time had a baby (January) so wasn't exactly on top of things!

niceguy2 Mon 08-Aug-11 13:28:26

If you can prove the problems were as a result of their incompetence rather than unrealistic expecations (and from what I see above I think you can) then YABU! Only 50%!?!?! I'd demand the lot back.

If you start with only wanting 50%, unless they give in from day 1, you've nowhere to move back from. If you go for 100% they may offer you 50% if you see what I mean.

smoggii Mon 08-Aug-11 14:16:38

I just think that as the bathroom is now finished...so technically I have received the service, albeit in a very delayed, rubbish way, it is wrong to ask for the whole service fee back.

HopeEternal Mon 08-Aug-11 14:19:33

How much did it cost you to get the builder and emergency plumber in to repair the things caused by the faulty installation?

smoggii Mon 08-Aug-11 14:31:34

£120 for the plumber and the builder added the work on to another job but only about £50 i guess. But whent the original company came back they then had to treat the walls behind the cabints for mould because of the water ingres into the cavity wall and I do not know if further damage has been done but I expect it to have dried out now it has been sealed for a while. So overall I would be happy to have these covered and a bit for the delay and inconvenience so I thought 50% would be reasonable.

HopeEternal Mon 08-Aug-11 14:33:05

I think I'd go for at least 50% of the service fee PLUS the actual costs of any remedial works.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 08-Aug-11 14:51:16

Visit www.consumerdirect.gov.uk and call the Helpline for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now