Talk

Advanced search

To be considering reporting a colleague?

(179 Posts)
missmaryp Mon 08-Aug-11 11:04:04

I have just recieved an email from a work colleague, from and to a work addres (local authority) and I find it highly offensive. I can't believe in the organisation we work she would send this on. Well I can't believe it's been sent full stop really as I find it racist.

Am I over-reacting to be considering reporting this email?? A big part of me doesn't want to get the lady 'in to trouble', but another part of me is annoyed she would ever think it's ok to forward this.

Here is the email:

YOU SEE MY FRIENDS IT AINT JUST ME WHO IS PISSED RIGHT OFF WITH ALL THESE "CORRECT WAY TO LIVE AND DO AS I SAY NAZIS" TELLING ME WHAT HOW I SHOULD LIVE MY LIFE.

TAKE A READ!

This should be required reading for every man, woman and child in the UK , United States of America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand etc.

"I'm 55+ and I'm Tired"

I'm 65+. Except for brief period in the 50's when I was doing my National Service, I've worked hard since I was 17. Except for some serious health challenges, I put in 50-hour weeks, and didn't call in sick in nearly 40 years. I made a reasonable salary, but I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, it looks as though retirement was a bad idea, and I'm tired. Very tired.

I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it.

I'm tired of being told that Islam is a "Religion of Peace," when every day I can read dozens of stories of Muslim men killing their sisters, wives and daughters for their family "honour"; of Muslims rioting over some slight offence; of Muslims murdering Christian and Jews because they aren't "believers"; of Muslims burning schools for girls; of Muslims stoning teenage rape victims to death for "adultery"; of Muslims mutilating the genitals of little girls; all in the name of Allah, because the Qur'an and Shari'a law tells them to.

I'm tired of being told that out of "tolerance for other cultures" we must let Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries use our oil money to fund mosques and mandrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in Australia, New Zealand, UK, America and Canada, while no one from these countries are allowed to fund a church, synagogue or religious school in Saudi Arabia or any other Arab country to teach love and tolerance.

I'm tired of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which no one is allowed to debate.

I'm tired of being told that drug addicts have a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. Did a giant germ rush out of a dark alley, grab them, and stuff white powder up their noses or stick a needle in their arm while they tried to fight it off?

I'm tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of all parties talking about innocent mistakes, stupid mistakes or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught. I'm tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor.

I'm really tired of people who don't take responsibility for their lives and actions. I'm tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination or big-whatever for their problems.

Yes, I'm damn tired. But I'm also glad to be 55+... Because, mostly, I'm not going to have to see the world these people are making. I'm just sorry for my granddaughters and their children.

There is no way this will be widely publicised, unless each of us sends it on!

This is your chance to make a difference.

" I'm 55+ and I'm tired.

If you don't forward this you are part of the problem".

RabbitPie Mon 08-Aug-11 11:06:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Pakdooik Mon 08-Aug-11 11:08:03

First of all, can you be sure it's come from your colleague? Someone may be using her address. I've had mine used in the past for all kinds of spam.

If it is really from her, you could report her. I'd be more inclined to delete it and then "have a word"

Nancy66 Mon 08-Aug-11 11:09:15

I wouldn't report it - seems a bit extremem. Just delete and tell the colleague that he/she shouldn't have sent it.

TiaMariaandDietCoke Mon 08-Aug-11 11:11:32

Does this person work with the public and does she seem to share these bloody awful views, or do you hink she's 'just' been really stupid and forwadred it on without reading it? (hard to believe but I have had first hand experience if idiots colleagues who have done that) - either way, she shouldn't have done it and I'm sure your workplace has specific rules etc in placve about this sort of thing.

Its a hard one to call - stricltly speaking you should report it - IIWM I think i'd report it if she seems to agree with the sentiment of the email - totally inapporpriate in a workplace, especially public sector - but would probably have a word with her if I thought she was passing it on without even thinking IYSWIM

Pan Mon 08-Aug-11 11:13:36

Is this just another way of posting some race hate stuff, under the guise of something else? I ask as I don't see a reason to reproduce aLL of the email.

sorry if I'm wrong. Just seems odd.

kittensliveupstairs Mon 08-Aug-11 11:13:52

hmm, I am a bit confused about why you posted it in its entireity.

kittensliveupstairs Mon 08-Aug-11 11:14:32

Good, cross post with Pan. I thought it was just me

SayItLoud Mon 08-Aug-11 11:14:34

Def report, how dumb does a local authority employee have to be to think sending that load of shite on is a good idea? Needs disciplining at the least for sending that.

usualsuspect Mon 08-Aug-11 11:14:39

seems odd to me too ...

TiaMariaandDietCoke Mon 08-Aug-11 11:14:40

Pahdooik makes a good point though - if it turns out her account has been compromised then she will be obliged to report it to your IT people - asap, as those emails could also have been sent out to the public from her account...

bananasplitz Mon 08-Aug-11 11:14:42

i wouldnt report

just delete and move on

its just a chain mail

missmaryp Mon 08-Aug-11 11:15:42

I don't work with her closely enough to know about her views - we work in seperate Children's Centres for the same local authority.

It's the fact we work in such an environment that makes me consider reporting it, as it is just so very wrong. Otherwise, I probably would just delete and have a word.

ImperialBlether Mon 08-Aug-11 11:16:16

Yes, agree with you, Pan and kittens.

"This is so disgusting I want you all to read it too!"

Report the email. Oh and for Pakdooik, that couldn't happen at work with work emails.

DogsBestFriend Mon 08-Aug-11 11:17:14

Read it again. It doesn't generalise on the issues where faith/race is spoken of and say that, for example, all Muslims mutilate girls'genitalia, it says that the writer is sick of reading of it. It can be argued that the message says that it happens IYSWIM, not that all people of that faith/race are part of it. And yes, it does happen, that can't be denied.

If you complained about it and if the sender/writer wanted to argue their case I wonder if they might have grounds for fighting the complaint based on that fact.

missmaryp Mon 08-Aug-11 11:17:34

And now I'm offended you think I am trying to post any kind of race hate!

I posted it in its entirety so I could have your opinion on what to do, given the same facts/having the read the same as I just have.

JanMorrow Mon 08-Aug-11 11:17:45

Urg. I think I'd reply to it and say "do you really believe these things? You sending such an email on a work account makes me very uncomfortable". See what she says and then consider reporting it if you wish.

eurochick Mon 08-Aug-11 11:18:31

It's a condensed version of the Daily Mail as chain mail. I'd just delete it and move on personally. There is some pretty ignorant stuff in there, but I don't see anything worth reporting.

Pan Mon 08-Aug-11 11:18:49

<<cue the 'reasonable' side to the argument. thought so>>

gallicgirl Mon 08-Aug-11 11:19:54

If you don't know her that well then she's definitely a fool for sending it on.

I imagine she's sent it on to quite a few people. Actually, look at the recipients - do you think she's accidentally sent it out to a group instead of an individual?

I think I'd be inclined to have a quiet word with my boss and leave it in his/her hands. It might even get picked up by IT anyway if your LA monitor e-mails.

squeakytoy Mon 08-Aug-11 11:20:35

IS any of it untrue though?

Pan Mon 08-Aug-11 11:21:33

<<and right on cue here's squeaky!>>

QuintessentialShadow Mon 08-Aug-11 11:23:06

I think you should report it to your IT department, and demand they invest in proper mail filtering, so that shuch filth is automatically stopped at source and never spread, as it can cause your employer serious embarassment if such emails came to the "wrong recipients".
I would also mention to the sender that you dont want to receive such spam in your work email, and could she please refrain from including you in the future.

Cheria Mon 08-Aug-11 11:23:26

I wouldn't report it, but I would delete it and tell her that it offended you.

[laugh] at eurochick it is EXACTLY that. But the DM hate local authority workers so something must have gone wrong along the chain [laugh]

Cheria Mon 08-Aug-11 11:23:55

I meant grin where I wrote laugh, of course. Oops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now