Talk

Advanced search

To think facebook can be brilliant

(13 Posts)
emkana Sun 07-Aug-11 23:02:26

When you need help with something which you wouldn't want to ask people for directly so as not to embarrass or inconvenience them. But you put it on facebook and if people feel they are in a position to help, they can freely offer it.

Tortington Sun 07-Aug-11 23:06:11

yes. it can.

worraliberty Sun 07-Aug-11 23:06:35

I like FB, yes. Not sure if I'd use it in that way though but each to their own.

emkana Sun 07-Aug-11 23:10:23

Why worraliberty?

worraliberty Sun 07-Aug-11 23:14:10

I don't know, it's just not me I suppose. I'm a private person so wouldn't ask for any kind of help on FB I don't think? But as I say, each to their own.

What works for one person, doesn't always work for another.

Goodynuff Mon 08-Aug-11 02:24:13

When my DH was part way through his degree, the school announced it was discontinuing some of the course DH needed to graduate. We wrote a form letter asking the dean to reconsider his position, and asked our FB friends to forward it in support. Within 48 hours, the dean had recieved hundreds of letters, and kept the classes open.
It was just after we had started using FB, and it was amazing to see how quickly it could be used for good smile Plus we learned that we had some pretty kick ass friends! grin

cloudydays Mon 08-Aug-11 02:56:07

Yes, I love Facebook for this sort of thing.

I've bought a used car very cheaply from an old school friend who was happy to be rid of it, have found a great reliable babysitter for dd (my former boss's daughter, though it was the boss that was my fb friend!), and have gotten lifts to and from the airport from several different people (my uncle, friends, dh's cousin) on various occasions.

I've also been able to offer a free parking space for a friend's 2-week guest from out of town, lent a travel cot to a former colleague who was going on vacation, and delivered middle-of-the-night Calpol for dh's cousin's new baby.

I think Facebook can be great or can be crap, depending entirely on how you use it and who makes up your circle of friends / family. There's Facebook at its best and at its worst, just like MN and every other forum / social network site. But Facebook at its best is pretty great.

bessie26 Mon 08-Aug-11 04:15:10

Absolutely. I asked if anyone had a TENS machine I could borrow & had 6 offered to me in an hour! Have just borrowed 2 bumbos (one for upstairs & one for downstairs!) off more fb friends. And I bought my car off a friend.

I think it's fab. Can't understand all the fb-bashing that goes on on here!

redexpat Mon 08-Aug-11 06:32:45

Tis also an excellent place for wedding research.

Thistledew Mon 08-Aug-11 07:10:56

I made contact with an old school friend. That friend is now DP and four years later we are still together!

Mowlem Mon 08-Aug-11 08:46:26

Like all things, fb is a tool, so how good it is entirely depends on how it is used. Yes, people can abuse it, and it becomes bad (but that can happen to loads of other things too, like alcohol for example). But, used well it's great (Like a nice bottle of wine!) I use fb a lot - to arrange playdates, keep in touch with university friends, share photos and videos with family. I have found I keep in better contact with people since I've discovered fb. It's great (if used well!)

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 08-Aug-11 09:08:40

I LOVE fb, get most of my work from it and it keeps me in touch with the outside world, as I work from home alone which can be a bit lonely at times!! It's been good to me, free advertising and on the whole, nice to get back in touch with people who I went to school with, etc.

x2boys Mon 08-Aug-11 17:54:05

I think facebook is good for getting in touch with long lost friends found a few on there i lost touch with a few years ago imight not necessarily see these people again but its nice to have loose contact with them and see what there upto

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now