Advanced search

To report 2 untaxed cars in my close?

(59 Posts)
FrigginPissedOff Sun 07-Aug-11 22:10:21

Feel a bit nasty doing it but they are taking up 2 parking bays in our close which is literally overrun with cars/mahoosive builders vans (due to knobhead across the road having 2 big vans, a smaller van and 2 cars parked here). No one has their own parking space, there are some bays and the rest is on street parking.

One car is badly damaged and the tax ran out in March, the other is also damaged and the tax ran out in June. I have no idea who they belong to and we are having to park in the next street most days and lug baby and shopping home.

We really struggle to pay our tax when it's due but always do and on time so why should these buggers get away with it? The cars look like they have been dumped anyway as they have not been moved in that time.

Shall I?

pointythings Sun 07-Aug-11 22:11:26

I would.

picnicbasketcase Sun 07-Aug-11 22:11:59

Yes, you should. If you suspect they've been abandoned you are quite right to.

worraliberty Sun 07-Aug-11 22:12:28

I would

The cars might be stolen and the owners glad to get them back

Nowtspecial Sun 07-Aug-11 22:12:47

I would too.

HellonHeels Sun 07-Aug-11 22:14:58

Yes, report them. Possible they've been stolen, damaged and abandoned.

My council has an abandoned car reporting line, if your does too you might feel better reporting it to them.

Sirzy Sun 07-Aug-11 22:15:23

I would and have before. Everyone else has to pay tax, so should the owners of these cars

Its very easy to do online!

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Sun 07-Aug-11 22:20:19

I'd say YABU and a busybody but if you think they have been abandoned then that's fair enough.

FabbyChic Sun 07-Aug-11 22:22:05

I would definately report them, fuck it why should they get away with it. Report them so they can be towed away.

TiaMariaandDietCoke Sun 07-Aug-11 22:24:09

definately doing the right thing to report them!!

ivykaty44 Sun 07-Aug-11 22:27:21

Is it possible that they have been wrongly SORN - off road so no tax needed - but have been left in the parking bays and not driven?

i would report the cars directly to the DVLA as if they are parked on a public highway they need to have a vehicle emissions tax disc and can't be counted as off road and not needing a disc

Meow75 Sun 07-Aug-11 22:30:23

I would do it in a flash - like you, like most people, we pay our taxes on time and in full. Those that don't really PISS ME OFF!!!!

sunshineandbooks Sun 07-Aug-11 22:31:34

Is your close considered a public highway or a private road? If it's a private road then the cars could quite legally be there untaxed if the owner has declared SORN. However, if the close is a public highway (maintained by the local highways agency etc) then they are parked illegally even if the owner has declared SORN.

jaggythistle Sun 07-Aug-11 22:32:11

Yup, report them. YANBU.

Salmotrutta Sun 07-Aug-11 22:33:19

My understanding is that if it's out on the street it should be taxed AND insured? If off-road then it doesn't have to be.
It sounds like these are sitting on the road though. Report it.

Pan Sun 07-Aug-11 22:37:23

I'd put a note under the windscreens and suggest they move them quickly. Unless they are being used to grow mushrooms. Then it's okay.

Flowerista Sun 07-Aug-11 22:38:30

Would do it without hesitation. If they aren't taxed, they aren't insured. If they drive and have an accident...Plus this is a tax we all demonstrably pay, you're fair game IMO you flaunt it. You can report it via the dvl a webisite.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 07-Aug-11 22:40:51

If they're not taxed, the vehicles are classed as abandoned anyway. Report them to the council and they'll get them removed.

Snorbs Sun 07-Aug-11 22:42:12

Hell yes - if the cars aren't taxed but are on public roads then report them.

If you want to make sure, though, check here to see if they have been declared SORN. Choose the "Vehicle Enquiry" option on the left, then put in the car's numberplate and make. It will then tell you if it's declared SORN or not. If there is a valid, in-date tax disc for it then the Vehicle Status line will say "Licence not due".

Whatmeworry Sun 07-Aug-11 22:42:46

Go for it and complain about the nob at the same time.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 07-Aug-11 22:44:15

If it's March and June it's not an oversight.

Don't bother with the note on the windscreen either.If they were going to tax them they'd have done it by now.

Pan Sun 07-Aug-11 22:46:11

Well, June 30th isn't so far away. And it's a bit fair to give warning.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 07-Aug-11 22:48:06

£245 to tax my motor.
Fecked if I'm paying to subsidise people who CBA to pay

CRS Sun 07-Aug-11 22:51:52

Our neighbours reported us, ONE DAY out of date (July to Aug) and were planning to get it sorted at the weekend. Enjoyed that fine (no one was driving except to renew tax the following day). So from where I'm sitting YABU. (Although in fact you're probably not).

Pan Sun 07-Aug-11 22:56:22

yes I've driven with a tax disc out of date by 6 weeks. Fairly recently. Just the business of life and didn't check it.

YANBU in a way, and it would piss me off a bit if they are getting in the way and looking abandoned.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: