Talk

Advanced search

to let DD2 get pierced and get myself a tattoo at the same time?

(70 Posts)
AtYourCervix Sun 07-Aug-11 20:12:42

DD2 wants the top of her ear done. I have wanted a tattoo for the longest time but always thought I was too old and fat and wussy to actually do it.

Anyway - DD is being pierced tomorrow. should I go for it and have a tattoo? is that being a shockingly bad role-model/influence? will I look ridiculous?

kittensliveupstairs Sun 07-Aug-11 20:15:34

Depends on how old you are. IMVHO, tatooos are horrible, or at least all the ones I see.
Since moving back to England three weeks ago, I have been astonished at the number of tatoos and tatoo shops. My favourite is the one that does them and offers a laser removal service.
If it will make you happy and fulfilled, do it, but have a good look around at the crepy old women sporting young persons tats before you do.

attheendoftheday Sun 07-Aug-11 20:16:59

Tattoo is fine, how old is dd? Can't comment on piercing until I know.

AtYourCervix Sun 07-Aug-11 20:17:01

i plan to be too pickled in gin to care when i get crepy.

AtYourCervix Sun 07-Aug-11 20:17:52

she's 13.

kittens? what happened to kreecher? did you leave her/him behind?

AuntieMonica Sun 07-Aug-11 20:18:41

yay! get ink!

<bad influence>

squeakytoy Sun 07-Aug-11 20:19:05

Does she realise that a top ear piercing takes a lot lot longer than a normal lobe piercing to stop hurting, and to heal. It is one of the most painful piercings you can get.

michglas Sun 07-Aug-11 20:19:25

A good tattooist won't tattoo you when you are drunk. Do you have a particular tattoo in mind? It took me 3 years to choose my first, 5 to choose my 2nd and 3 years later i have just chosen my next one. My point being that you really need to think long and hard about the tattoo you want.

HengshanRoad Sun 07-Aug-11 20:19:28

She's 13? Are you mad?

dexter73 Sun 07-Aug-11 20:21:03

My dd had the top of her ear pierced when she was 14. It hurt more than the lobe but not much more. It healed up quickly. The salon wouldn't do this piercing on under 14's.

LineRunner Sun 07-Aug-11 20:21:55

They're not allowed to tattoo pissed people.

Or indeed be pissed themselves.

But when you see tattoos sporting the legend 'Born To Loose' you do have to wonder.

AtYourCervix Sun 07-Aug-11 20:21:58

how can you tell mich? i will have changed my mind by tomorrow grin

is 13 shocking to have ears done? i'd say no to an eyebrow, tongue or lip. don't mind anywhere else.

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Aug-11 20:22:47

How ridiculous you look will depend on what and where you have tattooed.

YABU to let your DD have the top of her ear done, IMO, but then she''s your DD. <shrugs>

AuntieMonica Sun 07-Aug-11 20:23:16

do it!

<looks at own recent ink, admiringly>

cyb Sun 07-Aug-11 20:24:49

13 too young for top ear piercing IMO

School won't allow her to wear it will they?

She'll want a tattoo next

FrenchRuby Sun 07-Aug-11 20:27:51

Have you booked a tattoo? Because my tattooist has a 6 week waiting list

dexter73 Sun 07-Aug-11 20:28:19

I don't really see why a top ear piercing is any different to a ear lobe piercing. She isn't supposed to wear it at school but the teachers never notice them as her hair covers it when it is down and it is a small stud. Also I think they may tend to ignore them as so many of the girls have had it done.

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Sun 07-Aug-11 20:28:50

It's only an ear piercing, YANBU. I'd say no facial piercings til after GCSEs though, and no tattoos before 25!

I had a few ear and face peircings when I was younger, ears from around that age and I never got a tattoo. It's not the same.

FrenchRuby Sun 07-Aug-11 20:29:49

Yeah it wont get noticed until it gets ripped out in PE or something, the rules are there for a reason.

FrenchRuby Sun 07-Aug-11 20:30:48

Oh and btw Im heavily pierced and tattooed, I just don't like seeing them on kids.

BillComptonstrousers Sun 07-Aug-11 20:30:59

Was just going to say that Ruby, always long waiting list at my local ones, if you can go tomorrow and get it done the same day, I would be very dubious about their work!

Anyone decent will have a waiting list.

MrsPlesWearsAFez Sun 07-Aug-11 20:31:46

If it's a decent tattooist, they will have a waiting list.

I'd also want to think long and hard about what to have done and where rather than picking 'flash'.

MrsPlesWearsAFez Sun 07-Aug-11 20:32:24

x-post with BillComptonsTrousers <mind wanders>

zukiecat Sun 07-Aug-11 20:32:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PonceyMcPonce Sun 07-Aug-11 20:33:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: