Talk

Advanced search

The health visitor says DN 'won't be able to start school unless potty trained'

(185 Posts)
Reality Sun 07-Aug-11 19:21:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImperialBlether Sun 07-Aug-11 19:23:14

He's got another year to go though, hasn't he?

Reality Sun 07-Aug-11 19:23:31

zelda1982 Sun 07-Aug-11 19:24:52

I'm not sure but would like to hear the answers. My dd2 is 3 and starts nursery (attatched to a school) in Sept. She can do it when she tries but if she gets distracted she forgets sad Not sure what to do on her 1st day (send her in knicks or nappy)

Reality Sun 07-Aug-11 19:25:51

FrenchRuby Sun 07-Aug-11 19:25:52

That's rubbish. My ds has SN and is still in nappies and starts in september. The school had no problems with it. (He is in pull ups and does use the toilet but doesn't always get there in time).
I was worried about it too though. Has she spoken to the school he'll be going to?

twolips Sun 07-Aug-11 19:26:07

Its a year away

Its not true

Your SIL has form for misinterpreting information from HCPs

MonsterBookOfTysons Sun 07-Aug-11 19:26:20

I have never heard that rule. But he will more than likely be potty trained in a year. My nephew was 4 when he was safe without nappies. smile

smugtandemfeeder Sun 07-Aug-11 19:26:53

HV is talking bullshit. Utter bullshit. Some schools do make a fuss but they are breaking the law.

CeliaFate Sun 07-Aug-11 19:27:38

If it's a state mainstream nursery then most will not accept children who are in nappies, unless they have sn.

Lulumama Sun 07-Aug-11 19:28:01

she won't have to pay for full time nursery, nurseries don't take school age children anyway

is this The SIL with The Nephew? Is his potty training issue to do with his appalling diet?

squeakytoy Sun 07-Aug-11 19:28:05

Hopefully I have got this right. Is the the little boy with parents who believe chocolate should be a staple part of his diet for his bowels??

If so, could it be that the health professionals are trying to scare her into sorting herself out?

activate Sun 07-Aug-11 19:28:28

if he has SN that makes him doubly incontinent then they would have to make allowances

if its just that she believes he's not old enough at 3 to potty train then perhaps you should encourage her to try while its still warm enough for him to run around naked

Scootergrrrl Sun 07-Aug-11 19:28:31

It was touch and go with DS as to whether he would be ready in time but his nursery head just said they would have to do an intimate care plan for him if need be and certain staff would deal with the nappy changing. There's loads of time though. The older they are the easier it is!

RandomMess Sun 07-Aug-11 19:29:07

Sadly it sounds like another excuse as to why her life is the hardest ever and she needs more help from the grandparents.....................

CeliaFate Sun 07-Aug-11 19:29:26

When my son started school and wet his pants on the first day, hewas put in clean pants and trousers but wasn't washed and had terrible eczema on his thighs. Most schools don't have the staff or facilities.

Reality Sun 07-Aug-11 19:29:45

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Sun 07-Aug-11 19:29:54

Reality - he has a whole year to go, she really doesn't need to stress about it now. Does he want to go to 'Big School'? If he does maybe it's the bit of incentive he needs to be ready? If there is some medical reason he wont be ready before then I am sure the school will find a way to cope.

Zelda - you have a few weeks to work on it, give her a bit of an incentive if you can. Generally at nursery the young ones get taken fairly often, especially if you tell them she's only recently in knickers. I would keep talking to her about being a Big Girl and that Big Girls go to the toilet at Nursery. Don't put her in nappies - it's too much of a mixed message.

Reality Sun 07-Aug-11 19:32:32

NormanTebbit Sun 07-Aug-11 19:32:45

Funny our local state nurseries age 3 to 4 ( Scotland) won't take children in nappies. They will clean up accidents but won't change nappies. You child has to be out of nappies.

And acquaintance sat outside all of her DS sessions with a spare nappy so she could change him rather than toilet train him. This went on for a few weeks until Ht called her in, told her this was ridiculous and so she toilet trained her son and returned him to nursery.

MorallyBankrupt Sun 07-Aug-11 19:33:40

Well it depends how close to 4 he is. Tbh I think anything over 3.5 is pretty late to be in nappies. I only actually know of one child who wasn't out of nappies by their 3rd birthday.

However they can start school in nappies. The teachers won't like it, but they can.

Reality Sun 07-Aug-11 19:34:06

FabbyChic Sun 07-Aug-11 19:35:43

All children have to be potty trained before school surely? They do not have the resources to take children to the toilet, they don't even wipe them they won't they are not allowed to.

If he has toilet issues re constipation she needs to look at his diet and consult the doctor.

Just because he might not be ready she should start training.

NormanTebbit Sun 07-Aug-11 19:36:28

Schools deal with nappies? You are joking aren't you?

FabbyChic Sun 07-Aug-11 19:37:04

Sorry but sounds like lazyness on your SIL part.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now