Talk

Advanced search

Mini Boden catalogue - Painted horse on the cover is wrong

(53 Posts)
willowmead Sun 07-Aug-11 00:58:41

Am I the only one who thinks the painted horse on the front of the Mini Boden Autumn 2011 catalogue is wrong? The cover shows a white horse that has been painted with squiggles and decorations designed to look like they have been done by a youngster.

I think the message it gives is that it is ok to decorate your pet and that it could lay the seeds of the idea that it is ok to spray paint an animal.

I complained to Boden and I got back a reply saying the paints were non-toxic (I never thought they would be otherwise), horses like being painted and it is ok to do it because everyday veterinary students are taught horse anatomy with painted live animals!!!! Are there any vets out there who can comment on that please!!!

sfxmum Sun 07-Aug-11 01:04:08

well they dip the sheep in assorted colours at the Latitude festival
people 'groom' pets to ridiculous levels
m not particularly bothered tbh

SingingSands Sun 07-Aug-11 01:06:23

I think you need to stop thinking about this.

Thumbwitch Sun 07-Aug-11 01:10:07

this hobby is going to horrify you then...

SingingSands Sun 07-Aug-11 01:11:56

Oh, I've just remembered something! When we were kids, my best friend had a donkey and one Christmas we decorated it with tinsel and fairy lights!

LordOfTheFlies Sun 07-Aug-11 01:16:28

I don't see how this would give anyone the idea that's its okay to spray paint an animal.
Anyone who has tried to alter a horse ( Chalk on white socks and to hide stable stains on greys) will know its damn hard work.

Anyone who wants to vandalise an animal won't be influenced here or there by Boden.

Seeing the 10 yo Vogue Model hasn't given me the urge to dress my 9yo DD up like a 10 dollar whore and send her out turning tricks hmm

Pandemoniaa Sun 07-Aug-11 01:37:57

Agree with Lord of the Flies.

I cannot imagine how the Mini Boden catalogue could be the influencing factor so far as horse bothering might be concerned.

Call me an utter buffoon but I find it hard to believe that there was an underground hardcore cadre of equine graffiti artists who put their nefarious plans on hold until Boden gave them the thumbs up to get the spray cans out.

Thumbwitch Sun 07-Aug-11 01:55:18

YABU anyway to let your DC even look at the miniBoden catalogue.
Case closed.
grin

SpareRoomSleeper Sun 07-Aug-11 03:00:21

Absolutely hilarious thread and comments!

singingsands, your comment made me laugh out loud
grin grin grin

savoycabbage Sun 07-Aug-11 03:24:22

I once saw in the paper where a school had painted two horses and sold zebra rides for the school fair. Genius.

UselessForeskinHiddenSurgeon Sun 07-Aug-11 03:36:01

at least it's not an advert for cow tipping

LolaRennt Sun 07-Aug-11 03:50:20

YANBU, It is wrong to pain animals. They are not actually there for our amusement and its cruel (could cause skin reactions etc).

UselessForeskinHiddenSurgeon Sun 07-Aug-11 04:09:29

animals for amusement should be deemed cruel? really? so riding a horse for pleasure is cruel? infact almost any human interaction with animals save watching them from a hide would be cruel? somehow not convinced

lucindapie Sun 07-Aug-11 05:12:18

I totally agree op! I definitly think painting an animal is cruel, and the fact that Boden said 'horses like to be painted' what a ridiculous statement! Why on earth would they like being painted. It would be nice if they had a bit more respect for animals rather than treating them as 'things' that can be decorated on an advertisers whim!

Tee2072 Sun 07-Aug-11 07:06:14

How do you know they don't like to be painted? Have you actually spoken to the horse in question?

Surely any time an animal is used in such a way the RSPCA attends to make sure it isn't harmed? At least, they do it that way in the US, I always assumed it was the same way in the UK.

marialuisa Sun 07-Aug-11 08:02:27

yes, vet schools do paint horses to teach anatomy: http://www.horsesinsideout.com/

Not entirely sure that the front of a Boden kids catalogue is going to lead to a sudden increase in the numbers of kids breaking into fields with spray cans either confused. DD has, entirely uninfluenced by Boden, spent her pocket money on glitter gel and gliiter hoof varnish. Dponyis not remotely upset by it.

khaliwali Sun 07-Aug-11 08:27:42

Boden catalogues should be banned full stop.
Cruel??? No sorry, cruel is the horses and Donkeys in Egypt who have to climb the steep incline with fat tourists on their backs for 12 hours a day with no water. When their back breaks, they just buy another one. Cruel is sticking a firework up a horses bottom as I had to deal with recently and then watch him being shot. Cruel is unloading beautiful racehorses at the airport, tired and stressed after their flight and knowing they will be forced to train straight away.
I appreciate that I live in a tougher world than you but still, I used to live in the UK and had to deal with terrible neglect and cruelty on a daily basis. I think you are crazy.

khaliwali Sun 07-Aug-11 08:28:20

And to be honest, I thought this was a joke.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sun 07-Aug-11 09:44:31

I don't think the sort of people who get boden catalogues are the sort of people who would spray paint horses anyway.

And I suspect the sort of people who would quite like to spraypaint a horse, are not walking around in boden.

So I think the horses are safe.

lovecat Sun 07-Aug-11 11:24:17

You'd hate me, then OP, I chalked peace signs and flowers all over my horse so my niece could ride him in the fancy dress comp at our stables gymkhana as a pair of 'hippies' - we also plaited flowers in his mane and tail and covered the top of his noseband with mirrored fabric, cruel beasts that we are. Horse loved the fuss. And we won 2nd prize... grin

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 07-Aug-11 11:31:13

I thought it was wrong because DD1 took a look and said she wanted one too.

catgirl1976 Sun 07-Aug-11 11:31:39

I think the threat here is being severely under estimated.

Last week my DN asked me to read him a story called "The Cat in the Hat"! Don't people realise putting a hat on a cat is cruel?

I think the message that it is ok to accessorise your pet could lay the seeds that it is ok to put further items like scarves or gloves on them. Where will this end?

I got a reply back from Doctor Seuss telling me to get a fucking grip. Are there any vets out there who can comment please?

sassyTHEFIRST Sun 07-Aug-11 11:35:15

Didn't a mnetter once spray her dds horse pink as a surprise?

Got a flaming iirc...

DitaVonCheese Sun 07-Aug-11 11:54:42

Was going to mention that too, Sassy - don't think she got a flaming though.

I blame MN for leading Boden astray.

catgirl1976 Sun 07-Aug-11 12:00:10

I checked with my horse. He said he would rather be spray painted bright pink than be forced to appear on the fron of a Boden Catalogue. That's the real cruelty. He is a horse of style and taste and the SHAME....well it would be too much to bear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now