Talk

Advanced search

To still wipe/check my DCs after they have done a poo?

(83 Posts)
SuzysZoo Sat 06-Aug-11 19:17:28

Title says it all really. AIBU? They are at school but not in double figures!

bluemoongirly Sat 06-Aug-11 19:18:58

YES!!!!!! Unless there are SEN issues!! Are you still going to do it when they are doing their GCSE's?

chicletteeth Sat 06-Aug-11 19:20:04

How old are they?

greycircles Sat 06-Aug-11 19:20:20

I wipe my 5yo's bum when he's at home. He wipes it at school and gets it all over his pants. I suppose it is a toss up between letting him practise and waiting for his motor skills to be up to doing a good job. Also my 3yo - I wipe hers at home, but at nursery she does it herself.

OhThisIsJustGrape Sat 06-Aug-11 19:20:41

Ermm, if they are older than reception age then yes, YABU.

Do they protest?

Numberfour Sat 06-Aug-11 19:21:34

YANBU.

worraliberty Sat 06-Aug-11 19:22:55

So they could be as old as 9yrs old? confused

I think you know you're being unreasonable, otherwise you would have just told us their ages.

lockets Sat 06-Aug-11 19:23:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

faverolles Sat 06-Aug-11 19:23:09

Up to 5, fine. Over 5, yabu.

squeakytoy Sat 06-Aug-11 19:24:30

Anything over the age of 3, YABU unless the child has SEN.

Littlefish Sat 06-Aug-11 19:24:34

If they in school and do not have SN, then you should be supporting them to do it themselves, not doing it for them.

SuzysZoo Sat 06-Aug-11 19:24:57

Yes - they are older than reception. They don't seem to mind. I do wonder if I will be doing it when they are doing their GCSEs! I really know IABU but I suppose I wondered if I was the only one being unreasonable and doing this.....They manage at school ok, although it's not always perfect!

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 06-Aug-11 19:26:34

I don't wipe the 6 year old. I do wipe the nearly-five year old, otherwise there are consequences. He has just finished reception.

faverolles Sat 06-Aug-11 19:27:44

If you are still doing it when they are teens, please don't post it here, you'll be flamed to the pits of hell grin

youarekidding Sat 06-Aug-11 19:32:26

Actually I don't think YABU. My 6yo still asks for help at home, he has problems with his bowels and is on movicol and although its solving the issue he is still wary about doing it. I'm glad he can control his bowels now, the self wiping really isn't a big issue.

He does not have SN.

northernrock Sat 06-Aug-11 19:35:59

I think three year olds still need to be checked/helped squeaky, thats a bit harsh.
Agree, up to 5/6 is ok to check. Probably not beyond that!

rogersmellyonthetelly Sat 06-Aug-11 19:37:40

I do check my 5yo as she does have problems with soreness and UTI's but not my 7yo ds. If I notice skids when sorting the washing, I have a word with him about wiping properly, but that's as far as it goes.

Poweredbypepsi Sat 06-Aug-11 19:48:39

yes yabu unless there are special circumstances. I think my 6 year old would look at me like this hmm if i started wiping her bottom.

aquos Sat 06-Aug-11 19:52:49

My sons SN. I stopped wiping him at 7. He would still get in a mess up until he was 10, but I opted to deal with the mess. He and I both became uncomfortable with it.

It depends on the kid, doesn't it? I don't check my 5 yo as his BMs were always firm even as a baby, but as a consequence he is a lazy wiper and if he does get a rare runny tummy it is a bit of a mess...

MrBloomsNursery Sat 06-Aug-11 19:57:09

I still wipe my 3 year old at home. She will be 4 in November. She always has skid marks on her pants when she comes home from nursery. She has only been potty training since her 3rd birthday, so I hope she will start wiping after her 4th.

I think you are a bit weird to be wiping bums when they are in school....

Jbck Sat 06-Aug-11 22:02:06

There are days I wish I'd checked my nearly 10 year old DD!

DD2 is 4 in November and can manage as she does at nursery, the odd mark but not bad. She just likes Mum to do it at home but she closes the door and says I'm not allowed in till she needs me 'Cos it's gonna be stinky Mum!'

You're not stripping them down in front of people I presume so no YANBU really.

HarrietJones Sat 06-Aug-11 22:08:46

I just want to know how old DC are. I've not wiped since at least nursery. Can't remember when I stoped

exoticfruits Sat 06-Aug-11 22:24:13

I am surprised that they let you. Probably the same people who don't let a DC that age get changed by themselves after swimming. It isn't at all good for the DC.

Morloth Sat 06-Aug-11 22:40:07

DS1 (7) would think I had lost my mind if I tried to wipe his bum. I can't remember when I stopped helping but it was definitely before school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now