Talk

Advanced search

To prefer The Worst Witch to Harry Potter?

(32 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Sat 06-Aug-11 17:13:53

Maybe it's what you grew up with... but I grew up with the former and I still love it now blush

AdelaofBlois Sat 06-Aug-11 17:20:17

There is something much more engaging and perilous about Mildred's struggles than Harry's-she will always be nice, but might not succeed; he will always succeed by being nice (and the reader knows it).

I should have got Potter as a kidult but never did-Pullman, Reeve, Pratchett's 'kids' works yes; Horrid Henry and Captain Underpants yes, but Potter no, neither characters nor writing did it for me.

Thankyou!!! I was mad when I saw the Harry Potter books, so much seemed a rip off of The Worst Witch... much better children's books in my opinion.

YouDoTheMath Sat 06-Aug-11 17:35:50

Agree flying - I refused to read them for years for the same reason, but eventually gave in to the hype (as I always do sad )

stardustn Sat 06-Aug-11 18:46:40

Nooo Harry Potter is awesome! (Though admittedly so is The Worst Witch grin)

I can't agree that HP is awesome, but I will concede that it is better than the Twilight drivel... a friend bought me the books as a gift so I had to read through them... I like to think even as a 14 year old leaving a bedroom window open each night in hopes of a nocturnal visit from a Lestat or similar, I would have found them badly written and dull...

Groovee Sat 06-Aug-11 19:18:27

I love both. Dd loved the worst witch too.

Grockle Sat 06-Aug-11 19:21:06

I love the Worst Witch too. I still wish I could go to their school. I always liked Maude.

BertieBotts Sat 06-Aug-11 19:25:05

They're basically the same story though, aren't they? Ethel = Draco Malfoy. Mrs Hardbroom = Snape. 3 main characters who are friends. Mrs Cackle = Dumbledore. Mrs Bat = I have no idea but there are plenty of batty characters in HP. Boarding school. Of course WW came first.

I think YABU though. I love both! The TV adaptation of The Worst Witch was fantastic, too. The characters were all spot on and even the things they changed were perfectly fitting to the series. I can still sing the school song/theme tune word for word smile

pointydog Sat 06-Aug-11 19:28:11

Worst Witch - better written, a more satisfying read
Potter - top marks for exciting plot and associated details

EttiKetti Sat 06-Aug-11 19:28:54

Growing up isn't easy.....oh me and eldest dd watched the movie again.the other day....she's almost 18 grin

Empusa Sat 06-Aug-11 19:30:53

YATNBU!!

I adored Worst Witch, HP just sounds like a weak re-imagining. Cannot bring myself to read it.

There was a TV version of WW?! Must watch it!

kiery Sat 06-Aug-11 19:30:59

I liked both. Eva Ibbotson even better. Agree with Adelofablois that Pullman and Pratchett kids is good.

AdelaofBlois Sat 06-Aug-11 19:54:33

Yeah, Tiffany Aching kicks other witches arses!

BahHumPug Sat 06-Aug-11 19:55:47

YANBU. I loved Mildred and Maude...and Ethel was just so infuriating!

I might have to dig those books out again, I think.

jeckadeck Sat 06-Aug-11 19:57:43

YANBU. I never understood why so few people have picked up on this until now. With no disrespect intended to JK Rowling, the Worst Witch was the original and imo the best. I don't understand why it doesn't get name-checked more.

AdelaofBlois Sat 06-Aug-11 19:58:09

Ethel was my first crush-is that horribly revealing about my values?

BertieBotts Sat 06-Aug-11 20:34:58

The 1998-2001 version was the one I was referring to. There were earlier TV film adaptations but I can't speak for those, as I haven't seen them.

BertieBotts Sat 06-Aug-11 20:35:59

This one

BertieBotts Sat 06-Aug-11 20:38:39

Look! There's an episode on Youtube!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwXKcPNbwqw

YouDoTheMath Sat 06-Aug-11 21:04:03

There are loads of episodes on YouTube! Can't wait to introduce it to DD (she's too young atm) - just hope she likes it!

khaliwali Sun 07-Aug-11 08:31:54

Yes Worst Witch is much better. For a start, the author could write.

GothAnneGeddes Sun 07-Aug-11 10:23:11

There was also the Worst Witch film with Tim Curry as the Grand High Wizard.

pointydog Sun 07-Aug-11 12:04:53

Don't underestimat e plot.

rainbowtoenails Sun 07-Aug-11 12:25:13

Now that hp is over it is only a matter of time until hollywood 'does' the ww.(I hope)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now