Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if IABU or not?

(54 Posts)
welshbyrd Sat 06-Aug-11 11:55:28

Just had a knock on the door, answers it, to find I would say a 60ish old white lady, holding hands with the most gorgeous colored 4-5yo boy I have ever seen in my life.
I said 'hello?'
she said 'We are Jehovah witnesses'
Im never rude when they come to the door, but I am stern in saying sorry not interested,anyway I did this, went to close the door, and caught another glimpse of this boy, and could not contain myself saying 'OH my God, you have a little boy with you? he should be playing in the park or something not walking around door to door?
Anyway she asked why?
I could not saying anything else except Im sorry but Im closing the door now

Perhaps I have lived a secluded life, but I have never seen anything like this before

GypsyMoth Sat 06-Aug-11 11:57:28

Eh?
Why do you think he should be in the park? Maybe he doesn't want to be

What an odd post!

festi Sat 06-Aug-11 12:00:07

I often se children with Jws not an issue, their choice although Im not keen on the door knocking one bit but dont see the difference with having a child with them makes. he might go and play in the park later.

so what colour was the boy? Im intrigued at that.

catonlap Sat 06-Aug-11 12:05:17

Yabu. Do you go around tesco telling everyone with kids they should be in the park instead of being dragged around the shop too?

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 06-Aug-11 12:07:35

I queried this with a JW once - asked why they always turned up at my door with a child in tow (because they did it EVERY time). He wouldn't give me a reason, so I asked if it was to ensure that people wouldn't be rude to them in front of a child. He looked uncomfortable with that, but didn't deny it. For that reason I feel JW's exploit children.

welshbyrd Sat 06-Aug-11 12:09:13

Im sorry I have worded this wrong, I did not mean he should be in a park I was a bit stunned I meant playing,arts/craft anything that children do, not walking around a big estate knocking on peoples door
I have never had a Jws come to the door with a child before
Seems IABU

festi Sat 06-Aug-11 12:09:39

WTF how is that exploiting children, maybe they turn up because they are thier children or grandchildren.

Columbia999 Sat 06-Aug-11 12:10:51

I agree with Whereyouleftit, that it's a ploy to buy them a bit of extra time before the door closes. In my area, some JWs take people with learning disability round with them, which I find pretty exploitative; I've also seen the way some take advantage of elderly people with mental health problems, and was disgusted by it.

HairyGrotter Sat 06-Aug-11 12:11:28

Strange post...unsure why the their skin colour was of relevance enough to mention it.

JW's round here love it when you're rude to them, love it they do! But never seen a child with them, they send the good looking young lads out.

SiamoFottuti Sat 06-Aug-11 12:11:45

"the most gorgeous colored boy" ?? What the fuckity? hmm

LineRunner Sat 06-Aug-11 12:13:00

We have regular JW visitors in my area. They are not always with children, only sometimes. They are unfailingly polite.

They have never said 'I am a Jehovah's Witness'.

They have said, 'We have a pamphlet we would like to leave with you,' or 'We are starting a new service for deaf people, do you know any?' confused

Most people under 70 don't use the term 'coloured' any more, btw.

welshbyrd Sat 06-Aug-11 12:13:49

You have worded exactly how I felt whereyouleftit
Normally I open the door, say no thanks, and shut the door quickly,because if I do not shut it quickly they try to engage in conversation.
But seeing that little boy there, just threw me

crazynanna Sat 06-Aug-11 12:14:06

I thought 'coloured' went out with the Ark hmm

If you called my kids coloured,they would look at you as if you were insane.

LineRunner Sat 06-Aug-11 12:14:49

The good looking young lads, HairyG - aren't they Mormons? Nice suits, ties, good hair and teeth?

cjbartlett Sat 06-Aug-11 12:15:06

Well my mum took me to church with her each week
It's the same thing
Religion is a family thing, a way of life , jw are exactly the same, they want to show their young family members how they practice their religion. It was no doubt her grandchild

festi Sat 06-Aug-11 12:16:10

so why shouldnt people with learning disabilities or children be part of the church and carry out the church activities or duties like everyone else. honestly that is ridiculous. I have seen mencap collecting donations with people with learning disabilities taking part or blind people collecting for RNIB, is that exploititive aswell?

cjbartlett Sat 06-Aug-11 12:17:11

Who mentioned learning difficulties?

festi Sat 06-Aug-11 12:19:11

colunmbia99 mentioned learning difficulties.

welshbyrd Sat 06-Aug-11 12:19:24

Line runner - I can assure you - The exact words out of the ladys mouth were 'we are Jws'

HerdOfTinyElephants Sat 06-Aug-11 12:19:37

Columbia999 did.

GypsyMoth Sat 06-Aug-11 12:23:50

I hate this attitude that children should be doing something structured!! Why??

My Avon lady has her grand daughter with her usually, and the betterware man has his young son with him too

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 06-Aug-11 12:24:29

Sorry I should have included this in my first post - I established that the child in tow was not a relative of the adult JW. So it wasn't a child accompanying his father. THAT is why I felt that JWs EXPLOITED the children.

MorticiaAddams Sat 06-Aug-11 12:24:47

I'm on tenterhooks what was this gorgeous colour? I'm picturing rainbow with sparkley stars.

GypsyMoth Sat 06-Aug-11 12:24:55

Stuck indoors doing arts and bloody crafts??in a park bored?

festi Sat 06-Aug-11 12:29:50

how do you know she wasnt a relative did she tell you is it that he was blue and she was white so couldnt possibly have been from the same family as he was infact a smurf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now