Talk

Advanced search

Baby showers?

(117 Posts)
Angel786 Sat 06-Aug-11 10:22:30

First baby only or would you have a shower for all babies?

faverolles Sat 06-Aug-11 10:23:39

I didn't (and wouldn't) have a baby shower for any of mine.

InTheNightKitchen Sat 06-Aug-11 10:24:13

Usually just have a bath with all of them in it at once.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Aug-11 10:24:44

Me neither, sounds very greedy to me.

catgirl1976 Sat 06-Aug-11 10:24:56

I'm having one. My Best Friend is throwing it for me. I am slightly uncomfortable as it does seem to suggest an expectation of presents which I do not feel at ease with.

Deesus Sat 06-Aug-11 10:26:24

With my group of friends we've been having the 'shower' after the baby is born!

Everyone gets to see baby and have a hold (for a bit, then get gran to take them!) and mum can have some nice cocktails/wine while opening pressies!

We also tend to get presents for mum rather than baby (as baby's get loads of pressies anyway!)....like a nice bottle of something, a voucher for a massage/spa treatment.

Basically we use it as an excuse for a girl's afternoon/evening in! smile

Angel786 Sat 06-Aug-11 10:32:21

I like that, Deeseus. I had a shower for my dd but always thought it was a one off for the first born. Now I wonder if it would then be unfair on additional children?

For me, it's not about the presents, it's about getting everyone together and having a celebration.

Where we live in Virginia, USA it is usually just the first baby, unless second is a different sex, or twins or a miracle baby or something.... I never had a shower for any of mine and I think I would have felt terribly uncomfortable doing one, but love to go to them and make a diaper cake to gift... there's nothing wrong with them if they are the norm in your group of friends, but can be very grasping, greedy affairs if not done carefully...

LineRunner Sat 06-Aug-11 11:03:14

I would rather have chewed off my own leg than been subjected to a b..b... <can't bring self to say it>

Yours,

Grumpy Old Git.

Nancy66 Sat 06-Aug-11 11:05:53

I think they're hideous, greedy and grabbing.

chirpchirp Sat 06-Aug-11 11:10:19

Maybe I'm missing the point but isn't the idea that someone else throws the shower for you?

NingNang Sat 06-Aug-11 11:13:46

My last day at work they threw me a surprise "baby shower". No gifts though, they spent the collection money on champagne and table confetti!

smoggii Sat 06-Aug-11 11:25:46

awful awful things

Sarsaparilllla Sat 06-Aug-11 11:37:07

We threw a surprise one for a friend of ours the other weekend, she had no idea and we wanted to give her a bit of a lift and get some lovely pressies for the baby, it's not 'greedy and grabbing' if someone else throws it imo, I don't think you're supposed to arrange your own

Sarsaparilllla Sat 06-Aug-11 11:38:26

Maybe I'm missing the point but isn't the idea that someone else throws the shower for you?

Yes I think so, although I'm not sure how a baby shower is seen as greedy & grabbing, but if your threw your own birthday party it wouldn't be?

SquidgyBiscuits Sat 06-Aug-11 11:40:17

Don't know to be honest.

But I do find them just awful. I'm not interested in going to a celebration of the baby unless it is there.

YouDoTheMath Sat 06-Aug-11 11:44:55

Yes, someone else throws it for you, but apparently it's bad etiquette if that person is a family member. As is having one for second children.

I think they're ok if you have them as just an excuse for a get-together, and specify that no presents/money are required. That way, if people do choose to contribute in some way it will be because they want to, not because they feel obliged.

tigermummy35 Sat 06-Aug-11 11:47:48

I'm not a fan personally and didn't have one for DS. My cousin did though, and people who went gave her baby wipes, cotton wool and other inexpensive but much needed consumables as a gift. Proper gifts for after the DC had arrived.

They are very popular in USA, Australia and New Zealand though (my friend in NZ had one for each of her 3 babies).

LineRunner Sat 06-Aug-11 11:49:23

Sarsap, I think the equivalent would be throwing yourself a 'birthday present party'?

ledkr Sat 06-Aug-11 11:50:26

I wonder why they bother people so much.I threw my own because it was a very unexpected and much longed for baby after chemo should have put a stop to it.I asked all my friends and family and asked for no presents it was just a little get together on a Saturday to look forward to the baby and eat cake.I also did a raffle to rasie miney for my disabled niece who needed a special bike.
I guess they can be as pleasant or as crass as you make them.

LDNmummy Sat 06-Aug-11 11:52:01

I think Baby Showers are horribly tacky. Maybe they work in the states but I just think they are an awful idea. I would rather my true friends and close family had the luxury of buying me gifts if they choose to and when they choose to.

SleepyFergus Sat 06-Aug-11 11:58:45

Ledkr - yours sounds nice and quite far removed from what a baby shower is perceived to be.

I just personally would find it very crass to expect people to give before and then after the birth, even if you asked for no presents!

SnapesMistress Sat 06-Aug-11 14:43:02

I think they are a lovely idea after the baby is born, before is a bit odd IMO.

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 15:09:27

I've still not been invited to one sad.

Lara2 Sat 06-Aug-11 15:13:24

At work we make up a baby box with presents for mum and baby. A colleague recently refused a shower because she felt it was wierd in case things didn't go well and something happened to the baby. She loved her baby box though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now