Talk

Advanced search

To ask whats the best round robin letter you have recieved?

(13 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Sat 06-Aug-11 06:41:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BikeRunSki Sat 06-Aug-11 07:22:55

My uncle does one each year, with 1 sentence each about him, his wife and their boys. It is great (really), like a year summarised in an FB post. Enough to let you know how they are, no room for boasting, eg:

Uncle: Still in same job, been to India to work a a times.
Aunt: Had hip op in June, much better now, up to walking dog again
DS1: Got married in May, wife is lovely, teaches blind children

etc, then finishes with a line about the family tortoise he currently has custody of!

I really look forward to these "notes".

DH's Aunt's 5 page boast-fest missive goes straight in the bin every Christmas, along with the major acheivements of her 3 adult children such as wiping thier own noses...

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 06-Aug-11 10:11:17

Would it be terribly bitchy to reply "Oh, yes it is amazing! It's so wonderful that he's finally managed it. Good for him!"

grin

EverythingInMiniature Sat 06-Aug-11 10:34:55

MadameLupino Sat 06-Aug-11 10:41:39

I've had one 'written' by the family cat. As if that would make the stealth boasting less vom-making. It didn't.

faverolles Sat 06-Aug-11 10:44:25

My parents get a Christmas "perm" (poem, but yes, they write "perm")
A four page epic round Robin in rhyming verse describing the year of our American relatives. It must take the whole year to compose.

proudfoot Sat 06-Aug-11 11:07:36

I absolutely love a good round robin. Feel free to post some particularly cringeworthy examples grin

ImperialBlether Sat 06-Aug-11 11:16:22

Me too, proudfoot! I have to read them with my hands half covering my eyes, though.

SugarPasteFrog Sat 06-Aug-11 11:43:57

Lara2 Sat 06-Aug-11 14:52:09

My parents get one each Christmas from old friends that's just plain boasting and hideous. I keep trying to persuade my mum to write one back along the lines of:

"Of course we're very proud of X, his foray into international drug running has been a runaway success. Y's business venture is taking off - who knew that brothels could be so lucrative in this economic climate?"

But of course, she won't. Damn shame!!!! grin

WiiUnfit Sat 06-Aug-11 16:49:40

PILs used to get one from friends every year stating all the charity work they & their DCs had done over the year .etc, until he went & had an affair that went very public (nationwide magazine public!) Now they just get "Merry Christmas love X, Y & family" grin

crazyspaniel Sat 06-Aug-11 16:59:09

We get one every Xmas from a friend of my OHs. They don't have children so we're spared details of genius offspring, but one year they included a picture of the enormous beautiful house they'd bought but complained that it just wasn't possible to get something decent for £1.5million. Also lots of boasts of trips to Glyndebourne, Ascot, four or five overseas holidays a year, well-paid consultancy work that come the husband's way over the year, hobbies that stay-at-home wife has undertaken in order to "keep herself busy", etc. The strange thing is that this couple are actually nice people in real life and have never boasted like this at all in our company or looked down their nose at our much, much, much cheaper house.

nojustificationneeded Sat 06-Aug-11 17:03:16

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now