Talk

Advanced search

To get an IPad when it's not exactly a necessity?

(31 Posts)
notlettingthefearshow Fri 05-Aug-11 22:39:32

* totally trivial thread alert *

I have a laptop, so why do I want an Ipad? Is it just the marketing that has convinced me they are useful, or the fact my students bring them to class and they look so cool? Are they really that good?

First baby coming in a few months so not exactly got money to burn, but the craving isn't going away ... should I indulge myself?

wordsonapage Fri 05-Aug-11 22:41:29

Yes
[sent from my ipad2]

Mare11bp Fri 05-Aug-11 22:41:40

Yes YANBU.

I have one even tho we had a laptop and money wise it was a stretch.

But honestly it's fantastic, and we all can get enough of it.

Mare11bp Fri 05-Aug-11 22:42:17

can't

MorticiaAddams Fri 05-Aug-11 22:42:47

I'm starting to get suckered in too. I was thinking of getting Gomez a Kindle for his birthday but then thought why not just get him an ipad2 which would be much more fun and has the kindle app.

We have a laptop too but ipads do look fun.

FabbyChic Fri 05-Aug-11 22:43:17

I've a Desktop, which I am currently using, however I wanted an iPad2 I didn't need one I wanted one, I work hard and earn enough to get one so I did.

My son snorted because we don't need one, but fuck it I wanted one and one I got.

Got for it.

notlettingthefearshow Fri 05-Aug-11 22:45:19

They do look fun! I would like an iphone too/instead but can't use touch screen as am blessed with sausage fingers which press several buttons at a time.

Whitewithnosugarplease Fri 05-Aug-11 22:45:24

They are fantastic love mine

emsyj Fri 05-Aug-11 22:47:56

I used mine constantly for about a month, then got annoyed that you can't touch type on it (well, I can't anyway) and so got a macbook. My ipad is now sadly gathering dust on a shelf.

YABU.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 05-Aug-11 22:48:37

I also love my iPad2, which is absolutely not an essential but very much loved. I didn't go through the laptop stage, so I'm coming straight from a PC.

My 2yo dgs also loves my iPad2, under very, very close supervision!

Mare11bp Fri 05-Aug-11 22:49:14

The typing isn't the best on it but you can buy a separate keyboard as you would for a desktop.

emsyj Fri 05-Aug-11 22:49:45

Don't get me started on iphone touch screen - I long for an old Nokia housebrick with predictive text!

Stupid DH trying to convert me to apple products because they're 'cool'. Yeah, whatever - I am not cool, so we don't get along. Except for the macbook. That's pretty cool.

cantpooinpeace Fri 05-Aug-11 22:50:32

Yes.....on mine now. Instead of forking out of savings for one I got one on mobile contract as 'free gift'.

Kept my old touch screen phone which is fine & got same minutes and text but costs me £45 a month instead of £30 over 18 months.

Just a different way to buy one but it was well worth the sacrifice of keeping my old phone. There is always someone on it in our house & my 2 year old is a whizz on it.

It's the best thing I've indulged in smile

emsyj Fri 05-Aug-11 22:50:54

Shit, could I have just bought a keyboard instead of a laptop?

Am immensely stupid blush.

Whatmeworry Fri 05-Aug-11 22:52:18

It's a great excuse for crap spelling smile

magicmelons Fri 05-Aug-11 22:52:20

I have just picked ours up today, it was totally frivolous but is rather lovely. I say do it.

beanandspud Fri 05-Aug-11 22:52:57

I use mine constantly. We have a laptop and a desktop mac at home so didn't really "need" it but it's so shiny and lovely......

And DS enjoys playing on it...

And it's great for travelling...

And good for mnetting from the sofa...

Yes, indulge yourself, it might be the last chance you get!

FabbyChic Fri 05-Aug-11 23:02:25

I paid £199 via 3, as I already have contract phones with them, one contract finished at £25 a month so went with the iPad2 at £25 a month. At home though use my existing wireless connection.

MrsRhettButler Fri 05-Aug-11 23:06:15

I have one and I no longer use my laptop so my question would be 'is my laptop exactly a necessity?' grin

MrsRhettButler Fri 05-Aug-11 23:08:23

Ooooh yh, you can lie down with it much more comfortably than with a lappy.

And if you get as uncomfortable as I am in pregnancy it will be a godsend

maighdlin Sat 06-Aug-11 00:16:08

YABU for selling your soul to apple.

MrsBananaGrabber Sat 06-Aug-11 00:21:48

I'm typing this on mine, I looooooooove it, you can have it sat next to you at all times, no wires no fuss,

(no, I don't work for Apple)

smile

viewfromawindow Sat 06-Aug-11 09:42:29

You do need one if it makes you happy! I adore mine and can recommend a zaggmate cover with integral keyboard. It is made of the same metal as the iPad and is so slim and light, looks cool and the keyboard is a godsend. I don't know how to do links but put zaggmate ipad2 into google and it will come up. Have also just received my stylus which is great for writing in freehand on notes apps.
See you DO need one!

TheMitfordsMaid Sat 06-Aug-11 09:47:09

I use mine for everything. It has even allowed me to cancel my gym membership as the Nike Training Club app is so good (and free!) so I have already saved myself £70 a month.

I use the iplayer app to listen to radio wherever I am in the house, watch television in the bath, use the kindle app for my books and organise my life with Evernote.

balancingfigure Sat 06-Aug-11 20:16:09

Yanbu. Get one! Only problem to consider is that I have to fight to use mine as DP and DD 4 yrs old love it too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now