Talk

Advanced search

To expect somebody to have found a cure for WHINGING?

(25 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 05-Aug-11 19:09:04

especially of the three year old variety.

Well?

GlitterySkulls Fri 05-Aug-11 19:13:52

earplugs? grin

Poppyella Fri 05-Aug-11 19:13:56

DEFINITELY!!!!!

Especially when you have two of them!!!

3.5 year old twin girls in this house and I can't wait until nursery starts again in September.

I'm with you all the way!!!!!

AuntieMonica Fri 05-Aug-11 19:14:13

wine

hth

wink

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 05-Aug-11 19:15:35

Ok. Let me modify. A non alcoholic cure. (am bfing and cosleeping)

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 05-Aug-11 19:16:07

But not with the 3yo

ivykaty44 Fri 05-Aug-11 19:18:01

I did it back - with dd1 it worked as she looked mortified as I could do it soooo much better.

GlitterySkulls Fri 05-Aug-11 19:18:35

turn the telly up, & go "lalala, i can't hear you" in silly voices, hopefully they'll start giggling & stop whinging?

failing that, a bit of masking tape over the gob should do the job nicely grin

DontAskMeSums Fri 05-Aug-11 19:19:38

YANBU
It's the worst thing.
Worse than potty training, tantrums and nits put together.
Try a DVD?

scotchmist Fri 05-Aug-11 19:20:04

the contraceptive pill.

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 05-Aug-11 19:21:11

It's the whinging that's not even a word which really gets on my nerves. It's a sort of uunnnnnnnneeeeergh sort of sound. If I do it back it gets high pitched as well.

GlitterySkulls Fri 05-Aug-11 19:25:39

bedtime, i think!!

AuntieMonica Fri 05-Aug-11 19:26:47

ok, sensible message this time

DD (4yrs) is a right whinge-bag

i have been teaching her to whine 'politely' as in instead of going WWWAAAAHHHH I CAN'T GET MY SOCKS ON she will at least ask 'can i have a little bit of help please'

this 'polite' whinging is now getting on my nerves also. hence the wine

BellaBearisWideAwake Fri 05-Aug-11 19:28:23

I am counting down to when I can neck wine to make it all better

FreudianSlipper Fri 05-Aug-11 19:36:56

yanbu

it is far far worse than screaming tantrums. i tell ds (3) that i can not understand what he is saying that stops him. he is not much of a whinger though but chats chats chats non stop (be nice to have an off button for that too) and he has been at nursery today blush

his babytalk with everything ending in eee (washing powdeeee, legoeee, dinnereee) is getting a tad annoying got no idea where he gets it from

create Fri 05-Aug-11 19:46:59

I had "special" ears that can't here whining. As long as you never show that you've heard at all, it soon stops, I promise

HowlingBitch Fri 05-Aug-11 19:51:45

Ignore, Ignore and ignore! Don't respond to it at all.

I sympathize, I despise that cryie non crying noise!

youarekidding Fri 05-Aug-11 20:03:45

Yes the whinging back worked for me. If nothing else DS was so shocked he just laughed.

I also did the temper tantrum thing off the maltesers advert. grin

YANBU at all btw!

Love creates special ears - it's genius.

Once when my friend and I were fed up with our DC's bickering (5 and 6 yo at the time) we had a pretend bicker. All the 'you sat there because you knew I wanted to', 'I'm telling on you' etc etc. Once the DC's had stopped laughing we told then that was how they looked. They said 'what? that stupid!?'. We threatened to film them doing it next time and show them. They still do it but one mention of the camera they sort it out between them (they are 6 & 7 now). wink

ilovejondanby Fri 05-Aug-11 20:12:18

haha yanbu, my cure however is grandad, for some reason his voice/presence changes his mood completely, wine also helps grin

hellospoon Fri 05-Aug-11 20:15:46

parcel tape <cough> Distraction never always works

Henwelly Fri 05-Aug-11 21:01:42

It just gets worse as they get older.

In fact hearing myself repeat "I do not respond to whine" is actually getting on my nerves.

<checks calendar for return to school date>
<considers parcel tape>

midnightexpress Fri 05-Aug-11 21:07:16

DS1 was having a particularly bad whinge in the car on the way to the park the other day. About half way there I drove right round a roundabout and back home. That shut him up for about five minutes.

Parcel tape is an excellent suggestion.

On days like those, I am thankful that we are in Scotland where the school holidays end in precisely 1.5 weeks.

eversoslightlytired Fri 05-Aug-11 22:09:13

DS 4yo is a right old whiney whinge bag! I end up shouting asking "are you a dog"? When he says no, I say "well only dogs whine, Little boys talk!". Not that it makes much difference mind!!

Glitterandglue Fri 05-Aug-11 23:42:20

I did 'ignore, ignore, ignore' with my nephew for a couple of years. Didn't really work in that he still did it fairly regularly and could go for about half an hour at a time. One day I just got fed up and without meaning to, started copying him but with something ridiculous like, "I wanna Ferrariiiiiiiiii," and he got irritated and grumpy but the sulk lasted about three minutes and the whinge shut off. It was an amazing accidental discovery.

blowthewindsoutherly Fri 05-Aug-11 23:46:09

I'm afraid I just bark "I don't want to hear the whiney voice!" over and over again.

And if it's gone on for a long time I threaten to put her in her room (rarely ever do) if only to save myself from committing Hari Kari in front of her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now