Talk

Advanced search

to not be keen on "No is a complete sentence"?

(31 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Fri 05-Aug-11 15:32:45

I can understand the sentiment, but I think if it was said to me I would be a bit shocked at the bluntness of it.

I suppose on here the advice is to use it when someone is taking the piss consistently and is a short sharp end of conversation response?

Does anyone else feel that they would be surprised too hear it in RL without some form of qualification to the "no"?

ChaosTrulyReigns Fri 05-Aug-11 15:33:52

Iyswim?

«confuses self»

scurryfunge Fri 05-Aug-11 15:35:57

"Does anyone else feel that they would be surprised too hear it in RL without some form of qualification to the "no"?"

no

LineRunner Fri 05-Aug-11 15:36:28

I get you.

So, if I came up to you and asked you to babysit my DC, and you simply answered, 'No', would I think you were barking?

But then why would I be asking you?

<also confuses self>

ChaosTrulyReigns Fri 05-Aug-11 15:39:49

Thanks LineR, muchos helpfulness.

grin

And scurry. Arf. I think.

Itsjustafleshwound Fri 05-Aug-11 15:41:05

But then, at least I know where I stood!!! Yes, it would be rude, but then again I have a -mum- friend who never says no to things and it is quite a minefield to have to sort out what is actually meant or working out what she actually WANTS to do ...

Sometimes, NO would be good

DeWe Fri 05-Aug-11 15:41:16

Question: "Do you know the way to the *?"
Answer: "No".
Why should you have to justify that?

scurryfunge Fri 05-Aug-11 15:41:51

I think if you have previously made yourself clear on certain subjects and the receiver just didn't "get it" despite all your explanations then I would revert to a simple no because that can never be misunderstood.

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Aug-11 15:44:38

I don't think it's meant literally, but rather that you can say no to someone being a twat to you without having to justify your reasons for saying no?

'I've decided me and your dad will join you on your family holiday' would be a good example of where it should be used.

Angel786 Fri 05-Aug-11 15:48:01

I think no would be a polite response in those situations... I'd be more inclined to go with an expletive or two!

thesurgeonsmate Fri 05-Aug-11 15:49:58

Could you fluff it out to "No, I'm afraid not" to fulfil the conversational convention, but without adding any real content?

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Aug-11 15:50:51

I think it's only really suggested for people who are clearly having trouble saying anything remotely like "No" to their friends and family. People who are being walked all over and don't seem able to say anything which makes it clear they mean "No", not "Yes" or "maybe" or anything else.

PenguinArmy Fri 05-Aug-11 15:50:58

It's not for normal conversations, but not going further allows you not to be rude (even if it's a bit blunt) and means you don't give a comment that can be misconstrued or used as ammunition.

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Aug-11 15:54:14

I alway take 'I'm afraid not' as an apology for having an opinion or feeling surgeon, 'I'm sorry but...' it kind of implies you know you're in the wrong and have something to apologise for.

Nagoo Fri 05-Aug-11 15:55:38

No What?

No Thank You.

that's better.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 05-Aug-11 15:59:24

Or "I'm afraid not" sounds like you wish it could be otherwise.

The situations in which "no" is a good full answer are the ones where people are trying to get you to do things you don't want to do.

thesurgeonsmate Fri 05-Aug-11 15:59:38

Well in that case, AgentZ it won't do! To my ear it sounds more assertive than "I'm sorry but", but you're right, if a speaker fears your disappointment they do perhaps sound a bit on the back foot.

Scuttlebutter Fri 05-Aug-11 16:01:32

I think what the expression is saying is that you don't need to give elaborate explanations or reasons for saying No. So, for instance, you might ask me to babysit and I could say "I'd love to but I'm washing my hair". You will then say "But wash your hair at my place once the kids are in bed," thus depriving me of my handy get out clause wink

It's perfectly possible to say "No,thanks" in a smiling, polite but firm way. My other favourite is to say "I'm afraid that won't be possible" said politely and with a smile. Just keep repeating. Works very well.

Thistledew Fri 05-Aug-11 16:05:51

A colleague of mine at work hates it if you say anything other than a simple 'no'.

She will ask "Do you know the answer to X?" and my instinct is usually to say "No, but if you add Y and Z you will probably get X". Her response? "Just say no if you can't do it/ don't know the answer!"

RitaMorgan Fri 05-Aug-11 16:09:05

"Can you babysit my 5 boisterous children and 2 incontinent dogs this weekend while I go to a festival?"

"No, sorry"

Seems easy enough to me.

OTheHugeManatee Fri 05-Aug-11 16:12:12

It's perfectly appropriate for chuggers.

'Have you got a moment?'

'No.'

'Can I talk to you for just a few seconds?'

'No.'

All said with a smile.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 05-Aug-11 16:12:50

I like "No chance".

ShoutyHamster Fri 05-Aug-11 16:15:04

'No, never, I would rather die - die die die'

with a smile of course

KatieScarlett2833 Fri 05-Aug-11 16:16:54

I prefer "Which part of NO do you not understand, the N or the O?"

<usually to nagging teen DC's>

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Aug-11 16:17:48

'You must be fucking joking!?' shock

Gets it across nicely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now