Talk

Advanced search

wibu, hiding supplys?

(21 Posts)
clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 09:03:50

going away for 3 nights as of tomorrow. just me and OH. one of the godparents is childsitting. at our house.
he did this for 2 nights last yr when we had a wedding to go to and offered again( must be bored!!)
anyway, my slight issue with him wasnt that he didnt get the children to have a bath ( even tho they went to hte beach), or the fact that they didnt seem to have a single piece of fruit or veg between them, or the fact he managed to break the washing machine door off. it was the fact he ate EVERYTHING even slightly treaty or nice in the house. in the 2 days he was here he cleared us out of every packet of crisps, all the biscuits, every bit of chocolate, anything like cans of drinks, every icecream in the freezer, all the cereal. EVERYTHING!!!
so we are going away again, and i am going to put some stuff aside, so when we get back and i go in the cupboards on monday i am not greeted by old mother hubbards kitchen.
obviously i am leaveing food. fridge and freezer are full. 3 meals ready just need taken out to be cooked. all the general stuff is being left for him and the kids to use. BUT i am leaving a mulit pack of crisps, 2 packs of biccies, a box of chocs, and 2 bottles of fizz. no other 'treats'.
oh thinks i am being slightly over cautious, but after he managed to eat 2 mulit packs of crisps and 20 choc ices last time im going with this being a forward way of thinking!!
what do you all think?

vigglewiggle Fri 05-Aug-11 09:07:07

Sounds quite sensible to me. Have a good time. smile

Roo83 Fri 05-Aug-11 09:10:10

Personally I'd think if you're getting a few child free days I'd let him do exactly as he pleases. Maybe it wasn't just him that ate them and he used them to pacify the kids?! When I've been away and gp's have had the children I actually buy in extra chocolate, crisps and treats....I don't give them any money do it's like a little thank you. Enjoy your weekend away

vigglewiggle Fri 05-Aug-11 09:15:21

It does sound like he took the p*ss though and she's left plenty, just sensible to ensure he doesn't clean her out!

clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 09:17:33

i am really grateful for him having the kids, but through the yr we do stuff for him too. so its not totally one sided, even though it might sound it.
i have left lots, more than we would get through.

Sarsaparilllla Fri 05-Aug-11 11:07:44

Maybe it wasn't just him that ate them and he used them to pacify the kids?!

Just what I was thinking, are you sure he didn't give the kids extra treats?

Sarsaparilllla Fri 05-Aug-11 11:09:50

Damn, pressed send too quick, could anyone really eat 10 choc ices per day? hmm How many kids do you have, I think he was giving the kids whatever they asked for whenever they asked for it for an easy life, he's doing you a massive favour by babysitting for 3 days/nights!!

breatheslowly Fri 05-Aug-11 12:19:07

What you have done is the equivalent of stocking up for his visit with crisps, biscuits, chocolates and fizz (i.e. the stuff you have left out) and then bringing home next week's treats with you (actually taking them out of hiding). YADNBU, you are just doing it in a way that suits you.

clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:20:54

well last yr there was only him and 1 of the kids who could have icecream. so even if he was giving the kids them, he was giving him FAR to many!
it is a massive favour. but we do return plenty of favours during the yr.

bananasplitz Fri 05-Aug-11 12:22:43

he didnt get the children to have a bath ( even tho they went to hte beach), or the fact that they didnt seem to have a single piece of fruit or veg between them

OMG!! for two whole days OMG!! fans self with takeaway menu

the utter bastard!!!

eurochick Fri 05-Aug-11 12:24:36

Definitely used for kid bribery.

I would have thought a few packets of crisps and choc ices were a small price to pay for a few days' peace!

Maybe he didn't bathe them cos he feels a bit uneasy seeing/touching naked kids? It has become so stigmatised, unfortunately.

clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:26:20

banana they had sand up their arses. they NEEDED a bath or a shower!
but thats by the by, im asking about the munchies.

cjbartlett Fri 05-Aug-11 12:28:28

Up their arses?!
How did you know?!!

I'd fill the cupboard with crisps and choc ices in return for a weekend away
Do you pay him?

clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:32:24

i know cause i was the one who had to bathe them when i got back.
we dont pay him, we had him to stay for 5 weeks in total last yr when he was having house renovations done. and this yr husband has re tiled his bathroom as a favour.

AuntieMonica Fri 05-Aug-11 12:32:32

is your babysitter perhaps this guy?

grin grin

clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:33:22

grin

AuntieMonica Fri 05-Aug-11 12:34:08

he is isn't he?

wink

clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:37:37

www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=robin+williams+as+mrs+doubtfire&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=594&tbm=isch&tbnid=_wnES95rsIpUoM:&imgrefurl=http://ultimatedm.com/%253Fattachment_id%253D495&docid=m2EZvmxgVWa62M&w=431&h=300&ei=9NU7Trm6Nce7hAfIhuSXAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=172&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=165&start=0&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=75&ty=69

I can see why he didn't bath them tbh, cos all men is peedossssssssss innint ?!

Seriously he may have just been covering his back, dp won't give any personal care to kids that aren't ours and came to get me a while back when there was a kid wandering round lost and snotty. Quite sad really but I can see why.

clueless1 Fri 05-Aug-11 12:44:31

i suppose it would never occur to me to think he would do anything to harm our kids. if i didnt trust him with them, he wouldnt be looking after them ever!

valiumredhead Fri 05-Aug-11 12:47:45

If it was so bad last time, why are you letting him look after them again confused

I always get loads of snacks in when we have have a sitter, small price to pay for some child free time!

It was 2 days <<shrugs>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now