Talk

Advanced search

...re the following laptop related shenanigans?

(7 Posts)
MummyCubed Fri 05-Aug-11 00:26:33

An old university friend of mine went back to her country of birth a few weeks ago and said I could have her old laptop for the kids. I was pretty chuffed about this as it really would be useful to have a spare and there's no way i could afford another one of that size. I went across London to pick up the laptop only to find that it was not the laptop she used before her latest but a very old Sony with the space bar missing. When I plugged it in I found the thing didn't even turn on. So I took it to the repair shop where they said they would try to fix it for a few quid - no such luck as apparently it had short circuited where she had dropped some wine on it (they could tell from the chemicals apparently??). As it obviously had no more life in it I left it with the repair man. Now my friend is saying I shouldn't have left it there. I don't think IABU because she told me she didn't want it any more, and it's a tad cheeky to give someone something knowing it doesn't work (she admitted she knew that but said she thought it could be fixed) - but I am prepared to be told if I was BU. What do you think?

GypsyMoth Fri 05-Aug-11 00:28:42

It needs disposing of properly and responsibly! You did the correct thing

Why is she so worried?

MummyCubed Fri 05-Aug-11 00:31:48

Really no idea - the tone was as if I'd thrown her stuff away without asking but she made a point of giving it to me and it's not like she'll even be coming back for it?

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Aug-11 00:33:05

What's she got on it she doesn't want anyone to see?

But then she wouldn't have given it to you then...?

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Aug-11 00:33:40

If she gave it to you, it's yours to do what you want with.

BigBadWolfie Fri 05-Aug-11 02:18:05

she may be concerned about information she had deleted being recovered from the hard disk. i think that's how garry glitter got into bother with the law. or it could be her being precious.

BigBadWolfie Fri 05-Aug-11 03:39:11

sorry, i'm not suggesting your friend has frightful stuff on her laptop. even though it looks that way from how i've typed it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now