Talk

Advanced search

Healthy start vouchers, More a wwyd?

(51 Posts)
alowVeraWithPurpleTwuntyPants Thu 04-Aug-11 18:55:50

Was in Tescos earlier, and after shopping went to till, man in front of me was using healthy start vouchers to pay for his shopping, tried to pay with 4, but didn't have enough fruit/veg/milk to use them all, about 40pence off, so not much, and till worker pointed to the sweets, he picked a mars bar, and till work put through the vouchers. (cannot comment on the exact contents of his trolley as a) I am not that nosy, although b) he only paid 18p in the end and used 4 vouchers I am that nosy )
Correct me if I am wrong, but since when was a mars bar covered by a healthy start voucher?

When we had these vouchers we made sure that we had enough milk/fruit/veg to use the voucher. If we didn't we either grabbed a single banana or didn't use all the vouchers.

So. WWYO

1) ignore it. Aka mind my own business.
2) make the store aware of it.
3) inform the "healthy start" people.

MrsRhettButler Thu 04-Aug-11 18:58:01

Round here people buy cigarettes with them so I'd say don't worry about a mars bar because at least he was trying to spend them on healthy things smile

AmberLeaf Thu 04-Aug-11 18:59:04

1}Ignore it

He was obviously skint if he was using them to pay for his shopping, it goes like that for some people sometimes.

Its not hurting you and hes trying to feed his family, of course he was at the till and had to grab whatever was close by as directed by the checkout person.

Just leave it.

rhondajean Thu 04-Aug-11 18:59:14

Id think it was the store. Its not the guys fault, lets presume the rest of his trolley is healthy, hes going to grab the nearest thing to take him to the price isnt he. Store need to train staff to send him back for another pint of milk/piece of fruit instead and not make him feel like he is holding everyone up.

Im sure everyone else will say mind your own business.

AmberLeaf Thu 04-Aug-11 19:02:10

Bearing in mind its the school hols, hes obviously on benefits and has kids at home who would be otherwise getting fre school meals, hes having to make funds stretch further.

Think what you like about benefit recipients but all hes doing is trying to get by.

BeerTricksPotter Thu 04-Aug-11 19:04:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

knittedbreast Thu 04-Aug-11 19:12:12

ive used those. they are amazing. as a vegi, imagine some one giving you about £40 a month free vegis?? all you have to do is pay for the sauces, breads etc that season your dinner.

Please dont get arsey cos he used it to buy a mars bar, just dont.

fedupofnamechanging Thu 04-Aug-11 19:15:16

I don't think this is any of your business.

superv1xen Thu 04-Aug-11 19:15:45

i don't think there is anything wrong with that

if he had have spent the whole lot on things not covered by them then i would be a bit hmm but it was obvs just a fto make up the shortfall

i have been in supermarkets behind people blatantly cheekily trying to use them for things that arent covered by the scheme then being held up by them arguing the toss, which fucks me off a bit

and i am not snobby, i have been on them before myself. and they are a good thing i think.

SardineQueen Thu 04-Aug-11 19:21:12

1. ignore it. IMO

Its not as if he was using the lot to buy cider and fags.

alowVeraWithPurpleTwuntyPants Thu 04-Aug-11 19:22:36

I'm not blaming or judging the guy. I've been there and struggled. So know how much of a godsend those vouchers can be at times. But I guess I'm a goodie two shoes as I only every bought what they were meant for, even if it meant paying for the bread in 1 and 2p.s that I'd found down the sofa, or dd's piggybank.

It's the store allowing it to happen that threw me.
Stores around here are usually very strict. In somerfields they tell you to find some fruit or veg to make it up. And Asda count it up on the till receipt, to make sure.

MrsRB cigarettes? Really? Gawd I'm sheltered.

GypsyMoth Thu 04-Aug-11 21:23:41

it could be the till asisstant. think the big chains are quite hot on this,makes you wonder what else then asisstant lets go through her/his till

sarahken Thu 04-Aug-11 22:41:02

My mum and dad own a shop which accept these vouchers and people are always wanting to use them to buy fags or bend the rules to get things like milkshake, never what they are intended for. People even sell them on round here and its hard to police. hmm

The trouble with fruit and veg is, if its not pre-packed its hard to determine the exact price , and if he's on a low budget its better to be under than over and have to put stuff back. The guy was under pressure to grab something to make up the price, and I hate been put under pressure at the checkout. I would have done exactly the same and grabbed the nearest thing.

He may have also been embarressed that he was using these vouchers and probably wanted to get his shopping through asap with as little attention been drawn to him. These vouchers are a great idea but I wouldn't like my personal circumstances been highlighted in a supermarket with people looking on.

chicletteeth Thu 04-Aug-11 22:52:55

Mind your own business.

Do you really need to ask.

MrsRhettButler Thu 04-Aug-11 23:20:09

Yes, really, most of the smaller corner shops don't actually care what you use them for...

Im not eligible for them this time round but when dd was little I seem to remember one of the shops by me wouldnt even give you the right monetary value for them even when you did try to buy milk confused

I can't remember exactly though it was 6 years ago now

shmoz Thu 04-Aug-11 23:33:56

Ignore it, obviously. Bloody hell.

sarahken Thu 04-Aug-11 23:42:26

Years ago you use to just get an allowance of milk in terms of so many pints per week. Then they changed it to allow fruit and veg which is a much better idea as I'm sure the amount of milk you use to get seemed loads. I personally can't stand the milk so can understand why people passed them on to other people to be able to buy what they needed. People on a tight budget will do whatever is needed to feed their children.

Its a bit like that health in pregnancy grant I got in 2009 when I had my dd. £190 to spend on fruit and veg??? Now how many people actually used it to buy baby clothes, prams, support their time off work? I didn't receive mine till about 36 weeks pregnant due to the backlog, £190 to spend in 4 weeks is an awful lot of fruit and veg. I spent mine on mars bars and crisps grin

NotJustKangaskhan Fri 05-Aug-11 00:12:59

You could contact Tesco, if you like -- I wouldn't specify the store, as it's likely just a shop assistant trying to be helpful, just say it's something you've noticed in general.

I've always thought those drinks/meal coolers by the tills in larger shops could have mini salad bags, prepared veg/fruit, or one pint milk bottles for these cases. It would prevent people having to run back which causes queue and trouble for the store or assistants turning a blind eye and pointing out the chocs which also could get the store in trouble. It would be putting their store management where there mouth is -- Tesco and the like are always going on about helping people eat healthier/live more active lives/saving money and time.

Morloth Fri 05-Aug-11 05:19:23

Sounds like a great big pile of not your business/problem.

Really?

setara Fri 05-Aug-11 08:59:39

I think i would let the odd mars bar slip, but i did stop a woman from buying a £9 T-Bone stake with them once,

ooh and i once had a guy who had crossed the 3 out with a marker pen and written 9 in its place PMSL, and was then like oh no thats how much we get, yeah right mate grin

But the best was the woman who spent £50 odd and then got upset because she couldn't use the vouchers despite having not bought a single item that was covered by them, how do you not buy one healthy item hmm

catgirl1976 Fri 05-Aug-11 09:07:43

Can't for the life of me see how this affects you or has anything to do with you so, option 1. Mind your own business.

Sheepling Fri 05-Aug-11 11:28:09

Ahhhh its nice to hear of a till operator not looking down their noses at a HS voucher user. Wish they were like that where I lived - they make you feel awful. Pick through every item, adding it up on a sodding calculator, raising their eyebrows - only to find that yes, we do have the right amount of fruit and veg and milk, not anything else. Its the manner its done in - not smily or even talking as they add it up - more of the death stare and the look of "how dare you trouble me with this peasant!". And they just love lettin everyone else know REALLY LOUDLY if you are a few pence short "YOU CAN'T USE YOUR HEALTHY START VOUCHERS YOU HAVEN'T SPENT ENOUGH, HAVE YOU GOT MONEY INSTEAD?" Its soooo much fun!

setara Fri 05-Aug-11 14:39:10

i would hope none of the operators at our store treat anyone like that Sheepling That sounds awful, i would look down your nose at them for needing a calculator to add up to £3.10

i have to admit if someone looks like they have the right amount of stuff i just accept it, or ask if they want me to get someone to grab them a larger milk to cover the difference.

i only object to people who buy chicken dippers and oven chips (like i do grin) and the present me with a voucher, Yeah no sorry not going to happen.

tethersend Fri 05-Aug-11 14:43:14

Alert the authorities.

They will have him killed.

superv1xen Fri 05-Aug-11 14:47:18

Alert the authorities.

They will have him killed

ROFFLING @ tethers grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now