Talk

Advanced search

wrong forum, but yous have helped me throughout this matter (formal complaint help)

(42 Posts)
altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:01:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LolaRennt Thu 04-Aug-11 17:02:51

You have to tell us in what way he is a arsehole, wanker knob head, twat so that we can help you. What specific things has he done?

LineRunner Thu 04-Aug-11 17:04:17

Tell us where you posted before, if you did, so we can find it.

Or we could just have him killed.

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:07:07

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 04-Aug-11 17:07:13

I would write that he is an arsehole etc. Regard it as your first draft, and very useful for getting the bile out. Then as LolaRennt (love that film!) says, consider what he does to qualify for those epithets and start expanding your first draft.

Usually I've got all the bile out and have a usable letter by about the fourth draft.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 04-Aug-11 17:08:56

Oh, when I said "start expanding your first draft", I mean replace the term arsehole with why he is an arsehole.

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:09:14

peeriebear Thu 04-Aug-11 17:10:08

"Dear Manager
You are the biggest cnut I have ever met. You were born a cnut and you'll die a cnut. Your own mother thinks you're a cnut. If you were to enter the "World's biggest Cnut" Competition, you'd come second.
Why?
Because you're a cnut.
Yours etc."

LineRunner Thu 04-Aug-11 17:12:44

Altinkum, I recall your threads now.

Will go and have another look.

Tchootnika Thu 04-Aug-11 17:15:04

altinkum - I'm picking up on this late (obv), but have you talked to a legal advisor about this? It would be a more reliable route than group effort on MN (fun as that could be...)

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:15:23

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:18:07

Thistledew Thu 04-Aug-11 17:21:55

It is best with these types of letters to keep them as factual and unemotional as possible.

Start off

Dear (name of HR)

I wish to draw to your attention the following incidents involving arsehole (using his real name of course).

Then set out chronologically the incidents you want to complain about. Try to keep the descriptions brief, but so that someone not knowing of the situation before could understand what happened. Include any action you took to try to rectify the problems.

Then at the end add one paragraph on the effects that this had on you, and one on how it affected your customers or the way you and your colleagues worked as a team (basically the impact on the business).

Then set out what you want from the letter- do you want an investigation? An acknowledgement of the problems and/or apology? The company to send him on retraining? Or simply for your complaint to be held on his file? If you want a response, give them a timescale (21 days) within which to reply.

Tchootnika Thu 04-Aug-11 17:24:19

altinkum - (very) basic advice/observation:
Make your first draft as neutral/fact based as possible - don't include anything that can't be evidenced - e.g. leave out "of which I have had more than my fair share..." (even though you may feel sure this is true).

noviceoftheday Thu 04-Aug-11 17:25:26

I would agree that you should seek legal advice. Having said that I am not a lawyer or HC person but have a boss/employer perspective .... what is the desired outcome/objective of the letter? You need to focus on this and only include the salient points that will help you achieve it. What you have currently written is (understandably) emotional but you really need to take the emotion out of it and deal with 1. Cold hard facts 2. The impact on you (again in a dispassionate way) 3. What you want the company to do about it. You need to make it easy for the HC person to do something about it rather than just having a moan.

Tchootnika Thu 04-Aug-11 17:25:36

x-post with Thistledew

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:26:27

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 04-Aug-11 17:28:13

ditto thistledew's advice.

Most companies have formal exit interviews and policy: I would perhaps use this and insist that they give you this and use that as a platform to raise these issues??

I know the HR is right place to go, but in my experience is there someone else (higher up the command ladder) who you can speak to about his bullying???

Thistledew Thu 04-Aug-11 17:28:20

X-post. I like the tone of your letter but I would still say it would be better to set out a chronology of the personal problems you had and the incidents you complain of. It would give a clearer idea to the reader of the scale of the problem.

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:28:21

LineRunner Thu 04-Aug-11 17:31:13

It's always harder to do your own letters!

Maybe it's because of the overload of information that is so emotionally charged.

Just stick with the facts, m'am.

Tchootnika Thu 04-Aug-11 17:34:47

Agree with Thistledew re. chronology: and again, keep it completely factual and dispassionate - events only, as little opinion as possible.

Salmotrutta Thu 04-Aug-11 17:39:58

Don't take this the wrong way altinkum and I do mean this to be helpful but be careful about posting any specific details on here that might identify you in RL smile in case it "gets back" - or maybe I'm paranoid?
Hope you get this sorted out smile

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:42:46

altinkum Thu 04-Aug-11 17:43:50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now