Talk

Advanced search

Oblomov gets her driving licence back.

(40 Posts)
Oblomov Thu 04-Aug-11 13:56:10

DVLA just phoned. It has been issued. Thus I can drive again, as of midnight tonight. It sure has been a hard slog. 2 months of phone calls and sobs. I think hiring the top socilitor for driving, Philip Somarakis, from Blake Laptorn, helped alot.
But I sure have sobbed on mn, literally, and in writing.
And Mn has been such a fabulous support to me. So I just wanted to say:
Thank You Very Much.

Congratulations grin

ManicPanic Thu 04-Aug-11 14:30:01

Great news, Oblomov!
Now can you pop down tescos for me, I'm gagging for a pain aux raisin and a bottle of diet coke... grin

farnywarny Thu 04-Aug-11 14:32:05

Why did you lose it Oblomov?

belgo Thu 04-Aug-11 14:32:42

sounds like there is a long back story to this.

hobnobsaremyfave Thu 04-Aug-11 14:33:02

Farny I thought you were in work dyng of DandV hmm

Rhinestone Thu 04-Aug-11 14:40:22

We need to know why you lost it in the first place.

If you lost it originally due to drink-driving, dangerous-driving, driving uninsured, using your car as a mobile puppy farm etc then you are BVU to come on here and gloat.

If however you lost it for reasons outside of your control and were treated badly by DVLA then YANBU.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 04-Aug-11 14:42:18

oh, glad you got it sorted! (I remember your thread. )

QuintessentialShadows Thu 04-Aug-11 14:43:08

Rhinestone, Oblomov has not done any "untoward" driving.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 04-Aug-11 14:43:50

No, it was nothing like a driving offence (if I'm remembering the right person). Reasons outside her control.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 04-Aug-11 14:44:34

Are you the lady that lost it because of diabetes? So glad to hear you got it back and start getting back to normal!

Rhinestone Thu 04-Aug-11 14:46:44

I was not being judgy! smile (Or rather I was reserving judgement!)

Just saying this was one of those situations where we need to know why she lost it! Can quite believe the DVLA fucked up in some strange fashion so glad to hear it's all sorted now.

farnywarny Thu 04-Aug-11 14:47:17

whats your point hobnobs??? I have manged to stay this long without vomiting

BitOfFun Thu 04-Aug-11 14:49:11

YAY!!!! That's fantastic news, good for you grin

BeerTricksPotter Thu 04-Aug-11 14:55:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Thu 04-Aug-11 15:30:22

Great news oblomov!!

Did you do the sun article in the end? Did that help the case?

RichTeaAreCrap Thu 04-Aug-11 15:36:40

Great news Oblomov, I remember your thread.

mayorquimby Thu 04-Aug-11 15:38:36

why did you lose it?

TotalChaos Thu 04-Aug-11 15:45:48

fab news!

TeiTetua Thu 04-Aug-11 16:08:54

Nice for you, but how much do the rest of us need to worry?

BitOfFun Thu 04-Aug-11 16:15:44

It was all a mistake.

Butterbur Thu 04-Aug-11 16:29:53

I have just reread the other thread.

This is the reason that the public sector gets slated - the complete lack of urgency, the inability to do as they've promised, the part time working with no-one covering the rest of the working week, the inability to care about the fact that someone's life has just been royally fucked up.

Poor Obomov. I'm glad it was sorted, but sorry it took, what seven weeks? Life as I know it would end if I couldn't drive.

Oblomov Thu 04-Aug-11 17:11:19

Back. Had to do school run. Have been walking quite a bit over the last 9 weeks.
I have 2 gripes.
1) DVLA and their repeatedly telling me wrong information, promising things then with-tracting the promise. And their time delays. It takes 3 days for them to scan a fax on. 2 days for a team to review itand send it to the doctor that is dealing with your case. It takes a week, to 10 days for anything to happen, thus.
2) My consultant admitted thata she was" not told what the current guidelines were". And before you ask, she is the top Consultant in the Country and previously sat on the Honory secretary of state panel, so one would like to think she is abreast of new guidelines.
I have been screwed here. And it has cost my health, and hiring a solicitor and hundreds and hundreds in extra childcare, paying for neighbour to take me to work. Proabably £1.5k
I am so so glad to get my licence back. And i am going to go for very very long drives in the next few days. I LOVE driving. And have missed it terrily.
But the thing that is so hard for me to swallow, is that I feel like an injustice has been done to me. I feel I was the gineau pig in the new legislation. the Head of Policy at Diabetes UK, e-mailed me and my consultant 4 times, and said that he was very very sad to see the DVLA take this blanket decision to the new EU reforms.
Any suggestions as to how i get over the injustice ?

mycatsaysach Thu 04-Aug-11 17:12:18

remember the original thread - yay

Oblomov Fri 05-Aug-11 11:44:34

I have just been out. DRIVING. smile I took my eldest (7) to holiday club, and then just drove around aimlessly. My husband took my car and gave me his, becasue its a big monster and when you put your foot down, it goes. with power. its lovely. He knows how much I love his car, so I thought it was very thoughtful of him to give it to me today, for my 'first day back' So I went onto the A3, put my foot down, and drove at 70MPH. I had youngest(2) in the back , singing, to "Everyday I'm Shufflin", which is a fab feel-good-song, perfect for driving. And I felt so incredibly happy. Like I haven't done for a long long time. I love driving, just driving , for the sake of it, and have missed it very very badly in the last 9 weeks.
Am struggling to decide where to go now. I just want to go somewhere thta involves lots of driving. Misght get on the A3 again and go into London. Think theres an Asda at Roehampton. Not that exciting, the Asda bit, but I just want to drive somewhere !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now