Talk

Advanced search

to feel a bit of a mug?

(10 Posts)
qwepoi Thu 04-Aug-11 11:23:14

I've just stepped down from some voluntary work I've been doing for a few years - given lots of time (probably to the detriment of my family) and some expense too. I gave the other people involved lots of notice and in fact was persuaded to carry on for longer than I wanted to. Now I've stepped down, everybody involved knows and not one person has thank you for what I have contributed. AIBU to feel a bit sad and actually rather a mug for having given so much in the first place

BeerTricksPotter Thu 04-Aug-11 11:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

qwepoi Thu 04-Aug-11 11:27:26

No. Message went out via email last week and no one has been in touch since.

whattodoo Thu 04-Aug-11 11:28:24

That's a real shame. Please don't feel a mug - you've doubtless made a big difference to the people or cause you wanted to benefit when you first started with them.

I work with volunteers regularly and couldn't do my job without them. I have always been taught to value your volunteers, make them aware how important they are, use their skills, recognise their other commitments and thank them for giving up their time and energy.

I hope this doesn't put you off volunteering again in the future.

Don't forget to put it onto your CV, it shows what a giving person you are,
how you work well in teams, can be flexible with your time etc etc. All things employers look for (that's if you're looking for employment at the moment, but it wouldn't hurt to take the opportunity to refresh your CV in case you need it at some point).

wienetta Thu 04-Aug-11 11:29:29

YANBU. I've been on the lifeboat crew for about 5 years and had a baby 3 weeks ago. All the crew's wives and the other female got big bunches of flowers from the crew when they gave birth but I got nowt. I know exactly how you feel, makes you wonder why you bother!

BeerTricksPotter Thu 04-Aug-11 11:29:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redexpat Thu 04-Aug-11 12:25:33

Thank you for giving your valuable time to other people and for making a real contribution to the organisation. I'm sure they are all very sorry to see you go. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Whatmeworry Thu 04-Aug-11 12:41:03

Fairly common for voluntary organisations IME, sorry OP. Politics of unpaid voluntary organsiations are vicious. Avoid.

starfishmummy Thu 04-Aug-11 12:54:37

This happened to me a few years ago too. In my situation all the people who had done the role before me got a gift; the person who did it after me for a year (normally done for 3 years) got a gift.

Tchootnika Thu 04-Aug-11 12:55:33

'Tis indeed rude.
But as others have said, at least you've done the work, so probably best to focus on that, rather than feeling down...
It is a shame that workplaces are either too disorganised or too snowed under to get themselves together properly to thank/say goodbye to people who are leaving, but unfortunately it's very common. It definitely doesn't make you a mug, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now