Talk

Advanced search

To ring SS...

(16 Posts)
justpaddling Thu 04-Aug-11 10:12:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePosieParker Thu 04-Aug-11 10:15:25

Doesn't hurt to call.....

But you will get lots of don't poke your nose in, none of your business, SWs are stretched as it is.

If you are concerned for a child then call either childline/SS/or another agency.

Too many people walked past Tiffany Wright and didn't report.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 04-Aug-11 10:16:00

Yes, to voice your concerns and then they can make a professional decision as to what to do.

nojustificationneeded Thu 04-Aug-11 10:43:15

bananasplitz Thu 04-Aug-11 10:45:27

yes call SS straight away

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 10:48:11

health visitor/school nurse?
i dont know if ss would take you seriously as it is heresay

CaptainNancy Thu 04-Aug-11 10:48:55

Why haven't the witnesses reported it?

justpaddling Thu 04-Aug-11 11:00:55

EdithWeston Thu 04-Aug-11 11:04:51

I don't think you should call based on hearsay, no matter how plausible what you heard.

This isn't a "walk on by" case, but might be if you did not act when/if you actually witnessed an episode which caused you concern.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Aug-11 11:36:51

Agree with EW. Rumours and gossip are not enough for you to call SS in on. Whoever is telling you these stories, her family or whoever, is the one that should act. So if you hear any more, that's what you recommend them to do.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Thu 04-Aug-11 11:42:52

Agree that you need more than just hearsay. Rumours have a way of taking on a life of their own and you have no way of verifying what is true and what might be Chinese whispers style embellishment or misunderstanding.

What you could do is to befriend this women a bit, and watch her with her DCs. That way you'll form your own impression of whether or not SS are needed.

D0G Thu 04-Aug-11 11:45:41

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 04-Aug-11 11:46:20

Do you have any opportunity to verify it for yourself, which could make it easier for you to decide what to do? A 'chance' meeting at the park/supermarket/somewhere you know she goes. She may not be a close friend, but are you close enough to phone her and suggest a playdate/coffee because you're fed up and everyone's on holiday/whatever excuse you think will be plausible?

Two things you could look/listen out for - her behaviour towards her eldest, and her attitude towards her family, which should be bad if she is not speaking to them. You could raise in conversation e.g. how's your mother/sibling doing these days? just to see if there's frostiness there.

nojustificationneeded Thu 04-Aug-11 13:45:28

bananasplitz Thu 04-Aug-11 13:48:33

i still say report to SS to be on safe side for children

kiki22 Thu 04-Aug-11 16:25:22

I would phone them it might be rubbish and if it is they will take no further action (i know this because it happened to my sister) but if you say nothing and it turns out the child is being harmed would you ever forgive yourself?

Maybe SS is the wake up call she needs and may prompt her to get help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now