Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit annoyed with my generally great doctor?

(28 Posts)
CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 20:13:44

I went to the doctor to see about giving up smoking, becaue I want to and also because I want to get pregnant. So I go and discuss this, I am a heavy smoker and have tried and failed with patches &c before but to no avail - in fact the only time I HAVE given up is when I was pregnant with my son. My doctor prescribes Champix - apparently very effective for the hard core addict. So I buy this, £7 or whatever the prescription is, and read leaflet at home. DO NOT TAKE Champix if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Great.

Lady1nTheRadiator Wed 03-Aug-11 20:17:32

I guess I am missing something here but I would assume that someone who wants to stop smoking they become pregnant will, uh, stop smoking before actively TTC and therefore can take the Champix now and get pregnant after - ?

Northernlurker Wed 03-Aug-11 20:18:11

I think it says that because it would be unwise to take it if you are pg so they don't want you to take it if you are having unprotected sex iyswim.

Tbh I don't see a problem. You've said other things haven't worked so the GP has given you something that may work. You wnet to see him because you want to stop smoking before ttc - so why is this an inappropriate prescription for you?

Don't take it if you are anxious but you'll need to grit your teeth and stop smoking for good before ttc or you'll still end up with a potential risk to your baby as well as your own health.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 20:19:31

Well ideally. But I am 34 now and worried time is running out a bit - my SIL has just become pregnant after YEARS of trying and then eventually IVF as she had as it turns out, left it too late (she is now 39).

chugsy Wed 03-Aug-11 20:19:38

Surely you knock the fags on the head first, and THEN get pregnant.

Taking prescription drugs whilst TTC isn't ideal anyway if it's avoidable - have you tried the Alan Carr book? It worked for me.

Northernlurker Wed 03-Aug-11 20:19:42

Did you think you could just start taking this and start ttc straight away?

Ineedalife Wed 03-Aug-11 20:20:14

I would recommend the book "Easy way to stop smoking" Its written by lan somebdy. I thought I was an incurable smoker but stopped relativly easily with the help of this book.

Good lucksmile.

LineRunner Wed 03-Aug-11 20:20:55

I see your point, CRS.

Obviously it ain't agent orange, but you wouldn't want that rattling around in your system while you were baby dancing, just in case.

But I guess the same applies to the nicotene etc.

I applaud you for wanting to give up, though. Bloody go for it.

Northernlurker Wed 03-Aug-11 20:21:02

34 is YEARS away from 39. Literally grin

You know your can get pg because you have your son.

Just grit your teeth and knock the smoking on the head - for the sake of your future baby but also for your son.

Ineedalife Wed 03-Aug-11 20:21:40

I meant to say Alan somebody not Ian and Chugsy mention the bookgrin.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 20:21:58

Sorry Northernlurker - we ARE ttc - I KNOW I should give up smoking first, but I am finding it very hard.

I gave up as soon as I knew I was pregnant with my son (unplanned when I was 22) and that was enough to make me do it, but I am finding hard as am not currently actually pregnant. I do know this is not ideal, honestly.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 20:29:02

The doctor knows we are ttc. I have been to see her previously as was worried as no contraception for 13 months now and no baby either. Wondering if this is smoking related, hence (partly) the giving up strategy.

Northernlurker Wed 03-Aug-11 20:32:26

Oh I see! Right well I guess they didn't check the contraindications then.

What about stopping ttc for a month or two and then sorting out the smoking this? If nothing else when you then ttc again you will be able to rule out smoking as a problem in ttc?

Lady1nTheRadiator Wed 03-Aug-11 20:34:45

Ok, I can see why you'd be miffed if your doctor knows you are TTC. I echo the recommendation for Allen Carr, it really worked for me, changed the way I looked at smoking completely, have never even had a second of doubt or craving.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 20:35:25

Yeah I guess. Just that Summer holidays are a good time in this house to try and get pregnant as work is not happening, or a lot less anyway and in term time, we don't get to try that hard. blush in English way about mentioning sex life.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 20:36:21

Will have a go with the Alan Carr thing. Thanks. I am a very stupidly committed smoker. sad

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 03-Aug-11 20:36:46

YABU to be annoyed with your doctor as he no doubt assumed, as others have done from your post, the you want to give up smoking and become pg - in that order.

As continued abstinence from cigarettes is higher (70% compared with 50%) when patients take Champix for 24 weeks as opposed to 12, you're best advised to either go cold turkey on the nicotine now or delay ttc until next spring.

BTW your sil's problems ttc are unlikely to affect your reproductive system especially as you have had a dc.

bubblesincoffee Wed 03-Aug-11 20:39:04

I would go back to the chemist and ask the pharmacist. It can't hurt to see what they say.

It may be that your doctor knows something we don't, and they often put things like that on prescription drugs to err on the side of caution.

But it really wouldn't do any harm to give up smoking whicst waiting a couple of months before actively ttc. What were you expecting - some amazing miracle drug that would cure you of this addiction and be safe during pregnancy? You may be asking a little too much of modern science.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 20:42:13

Maybe I am. But after discussing the whole thing at length, and GP understanding the situation, I was a bit disappointed that she still prescribed it. Same doctor also told me a while ago that giving up smoking "wasn't the be all and end all".

Northernlurker Wed 03-Aug-11 20:47:59

Well it is and you obviously want to deal with it. Giving up smoking may not get you pg but it certainly won't hurt and it will improve your whole family's health.

I wish you lots of luck with that and then lots of luck ttc smile

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 21:22:55

Thanks Northern Lurker. I don't ONLY want to give up because of ttc. I will have a look at the Alan Carr book, and also go back to surgery again to see, because as someone said - maybe the doctor knows something I don't re: contraindications.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 21:25:45

Oh - and I know my SIL's fertilty or otherwise is in no way related to mine, BUT she started trying at 32 and it was already too late for her,(easily, anyway), and as to having already had one child - yes - I was pregnant at 22. 12 years on, and things could be totally different now - secondary infertility is not that uncommon.

snippywoo2 Wed 03-Aug-11 21:29:05

I think you have to decide which is more important a fag or a baby and if you do end up going the IVF way I'm sure they wont give it you if you smoke anyway.

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 21:35:44

They DEFINITELY won't give us IVF as we alredy have a child! I either get pregnant or I don't, but I WOULD like to and thought this time I would try to give up FIRST. I didn't realise after discussion with GP that Champix was unsuitable. (And I know I'm lucky to have one child, I would really like another though).

CRS Wed 03-Aug-11 21:37:39

When I say "first" I mean not after discovering was pregnant, like first time round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now