Talk

Advanced search

Not got a clue how to get DS to drink!!!

(12 Posts)
InFlames Wed 03-Aug-11 19:17:42

DS is 7.5 months, weaned and will eat anything. But despite it being v v hot and sticky he's off milk, and won't take water. Doesn't seem poorly at all.

He's not been particularly hungry today but don't blame him! Is eating fruit and yoghurt, had wheatabix for breakfast with about 3oz of milk. He's had about 10oz through the day and a few mouthfuls of water from my water bottle-he's not getting the sippy cup thing at all! Not taking water from bottle either.

AIBU to be all in a tizz that he's going to get dehydrated? And - Any tips?

TIA - yep he's my PFB...!

pugsandseals Wed 03-Aug-11 19:19:01

Ice to suck on?

sockpoppet Wed 03-Aug-11 19:20:35

A little juice in his water, 1 in 10 or something? Needs must.

BornToFolk Wed 03-Aug-11 19:21:35

Give him his own water bottle if he'll drink from yours? What about an open cup?
Or you could make your own ice lollies with fruit juice and lots of water.
Or give him fruit like melon.

Don't stress though, he will drink when he's thirsty. My DS hardly drank anything until he was well over a year.

My DS wont drink, he is 10m and has his 3-4 BF a day but wont drink any more than a sip or two in between. I guess that he must be getting enough fluid in what he eats and the milk he does have? He isnt dehydrated and is weeing plenty.

Are you getting enough wet nappies? I was told 4-6 a day is fine.

PacificDogwood Wed 03-Aug-11 19:26:40

If you are getting wet nappies from him, he is not dehydrated wink.

Don't stress, babies are pretty good at looking after their own needs - if he is thirsty, he'll drink.

Mine were all a lot older before they 'got' sippy cups (and I've tried loads...) and if I was worried about fluid intake I would offer milk in a bottle if I was no longer BFing.

I wish it was warm enough here (Scotland) to worry about kid's hydration <<sigh>> - having said that, it was a nice enough day today and is a glorious, sunny evening smile.

InFlames Wed 03-Aug-11 19:28:59

Ok will breathe out now :-) Had normal amount of wet nappies, I think. And several giant not-only-wet-ones.

Ice our lollies really good idea, likes v v cold when teething so likely to take those.

Was going to abandon sippy cup for bow any how and get an open plastic one - will look tomo. Think he gets frustrated with it more than anything!

I'm noally really chilled about amount he eats/drunks but this is first time he's stopes below 3-4 good feeds / day and it's boiling! Suddenly got in a tizz and should chill out with a pineapple juice lolly myself me thinks :-)

LadyFlumpalot Wed 03-Aug-11 19:29:02

Oh god, I'm the same. Unless it comes from a boobie, he aint having it...I really, really want him to take liquid from something else...

We have tried:

Doidy
Valved beaker
Un-valved beaker
Egg-cup

And the one thing that works at the moment? A normal water bottle with the pop cap from Greggs!

InFlames Wed 03-Aug-11 19:30:11

Noally? Normally. Obviously.

squeakytoy Wed 03-Aug-11 19:32:43

Ice lollies made with water and a bit of fruit juice. If he is likely to be teething, the ice lolly will help that too.

PacificDogwood Wed 03-Aug-11 19:32:50

Try a bendy drinking straw? DS4 took to that like a duck to water @ 8 months - yes, he is a bit weird grin

InFlames Wed 03-Aug-11 19:40:09

Thanks they're great ideas, will give a try. My water bottle is a flip cap one- end up soaked but will take a bit.

Another PFB moment - he's learned to flip himself and sleep on his stomach. Have to resist urge to flip him back 20 times a night...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now