Talk

Advanced search

Don't ask me if its convenient if when I say NO, you intend to carry on anyway

(11 Posts)
BumptiousandBustly Wed 03-Aug-11 19:04:00

DH is out tonight with work so that is DS1 (3) and DS2(1) who I had to feed and get ready for bed.

The phone rings at 5.45 and I am told its my bank with a question, "is this a convenient time for you?"

ME: "No, absolutely not!"

Bank: "Oh well, it won't take long!"

WHY BLOODY ASK THEN? Why not just phone up and start in on what ever you have phoned about? Why ask if its convenient if you intend to ignore my answer?

FrenchRuby Wed 03-Aug-11 19:12:34

I hate that. I also hate

'Is Miss there?'

'No'

'Well, Im ringing from blah blah blah'

why ask for Miss and then carry on talking when I say wrong number!!

HeidiKat Wed 03-Aug-11 19:13:10

Just hang up when it's not someone you actually know, thats what I do.

BumptiousandBustly Wed 03-Aug-11 19:38:50

The only reason I didn't just hang up on them was that we have just asked the bank to post us some stuff and I thought it might be about that - It wasn't!

I also hate- "can I just have a minute of your time" - When it blatantly will take more than that!

Andrewofgg Wed 03-Aug-11 19:56:42

Ask them to go. If they don't turn the radio on to a loud music channel and put the phone close the loudspeaker.

And failing that there's the referee's whistle at full blast into the mouthpiece . . .

ZillionChocolate Wed 03-Aug-11 19:59:20

I wish it wasn't rude just to tell them all to fuck off.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 03-Aug-11 20:04:33

Just say, sorry, now isn't a good time. Please put whatever it is in the post and I'll take a look. I used to be really polite, but now I am a bit more blunt and less co operative. I'm never rude, but hate the intrusion into my home and having someone else's agenda imposed upon me.

spudinvasion Wed 03-Aug-11 20:22:19

I know its not the same but I have had a spate of sales calls at work recently that begin..

"Hi, is that spud?"
"yes, how can i help?"
"Hi spud, how are you today?"
"Fine thanks, how can I help?"
"Are you enjoying this lovely weather?"

The convesation goes on like this until I have to say, "look. I'm quite busy, what is it you're phoning about?"

If you want to have a chat, ring one of yur mates. If you want to sell me something, just tell me so I can say no thanks. Arrrgghhh.

LaaLaa11 Wed 03-Aug-11 20:22:47

I agree with karmabeliever that just ask them to put whatever it is in the post, and then file it in bin 13 when it arrives! Its all about them hitting their call targets, and commission.

caffevalium Wed 03-Aug-11 20:24:10

Spud I've had a lot of that lately too - must be from abroad because otherwise would be blocked by TPS. If they seriously think all those smarmy questions are in any way buttering us up then it's a big fail. Tossers!

FrenchRuby Wed 03-Aug-11 20:32:45

My favourite one is
Guy on phone: Hello Madam, Im from microsoft engineering department. we've had alerts come through that are saying your computer is in danger from viruses

Me: Oh really? and how do you know that?

GOTP: When you turn your computer on it sends us reports saying you have viruses

Me: wow! So when I switch my computer on it sends you, microsoft, reports saying my computer has a virus?

GOTP: yes that's right.

Me: wow that's amazing since I have an Apple Mac....

GOTP: urmmmmmm BEEEEEP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now