Talk

Advanced search

This is sick, isn't it? Showy, you said about this the other day. My AUNT is going on it ffs.

(50 Posts)
Reality Wed 03-Aug-11 14:43:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Filibear Wed 03-Aug-11 14:47:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Filibear Wed 03-Aug-11 14:49:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

pinkthechaffinch Wed 03-Aug-11 14:50:10

Is it any different from visiting battlefields though?

I know quite a few people me who have been to visit WW1 and WW2 sites in northern france and didn't think they were particularly odd.

Twinkiesmum Wed 03-Aug-11 14:51:38

Sweet Jesus! Bet you get a little model as a souvenir.

Reality Wed 03-Aug-11 14:51:45

NoobyNoob Wed 03-Aug-11 14:52:31

Agree with pink

NoobyNoob Wed 03-Aug-11 14:53:08

...an you wouldn't sink in the middle of the Atlantic either presumably?

nickelbabe Wed 03-Aug-11 14:54:12

it's a bit different, in that they'll all be landing in New York and then all going home again.

it's a bit sick.

they made a film about this kind of thing - 100 years from the sinking, a new ship set sail, supposedly unsinkable but it sank anyway
and the liveboats turned out to be deathtraps.

pjmama Wed 03-Aug-11 14:54:13

Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat! grin

I guess it's no different than visiting Auschwitz or the Dunkirk War Graves is it? If it's a subject of interest to someone and they feel they want to see it first hand to pay respects or something like that? I'd rather have sun, sand and sangria personally!

Reality Wed 03-Aug-11 14:54:42

vvviola Wed 03-Aug-11 14:55:06

You wouldn't pay 8k and spend 12 days living in a reconstruction of the trenches though. Presumably.

Other than the 8k part, my husband would. In a heartbeat. But he's odd that way.

He might even convince me to try a day or so, but then I'm a bit odd too

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 03-Aug-11 14:56:06

YABU - and you have no imagination. I'd have thought, providing the cruise ship didn't actually sink of course, it would be quite fascinating reliving the atmosphere of 1914... watching a few ice-bergs and listening to the stories of various passengers and crew etc. There's a big chunk of Belfast that's Titanic themed now and it's very popular Historical holidays are normal... we're OK visiting Paris' Place de la Concorde where 1000's of aristos were guillotined, the pyramids which are just glorified tombs, the Colosseum, Pompeii etc. At 100 years distance, I think tracking the Titanic isn't morbid at all.

nickelbabe Wed 03-Aug-11 14:56:51

ahem.
from your link....

the titanic sank on 12th april, right?
next year, the day after is Friday the 13th april....

nickelbabe Wed 03-Aug-11 14:59:06

DH is now thinking....

(he is obsessed with the Titanic story and has always wanted to go on a cruise.....)
hmm

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 03-Aug-11 14:59:21

Certainly wouldn't cross the North Atlantic on that thing. Quite apart from the fact that there is no such thing as a cruise liner. That's a plain old cruise ship.

squeakytoy Wed 03-Aug-11 14:59:54

I would find it very interesting actually.

I was in Belfast recently and we visited many historic things that were Titanic related.

Sadly I dont have 8k!

Salmotrutta Wed 03-Aug-11 15:12:45

But it's not the ship shown at the top of the leaflet - it's a modern Olsen Cruise ship. There's a picture in the link that says "ship".

I reckon it sounds interesting - and it's really just re-tracing the voyage along with some history lectures etc.

They most definitely aren't going to be on a replica of the Titanic - quite the opposite.

I'd go if I had a spare 8K!

FrenchRuby Wed 03-Aug-11 15:17:01

I have to admit, if I had the money, I'd go too. It sounds really interesting.

I'm with you OP....tis farking odd. I would feel a bit better about it if some of the cash was going to a relevent charity, otherwise it's just making cash out of tradgedy IMO.

LittleWhiteWolf Wed 03-Aug-11 15:23:05

I wouldn't go as I don't have a spare 8k and I've never fancied a cruise......but.....I don't think it's sick. It was a great tragedy of course and we mustn't forget that many people lost their lives during the horrible event. Isn't that what the term "memorial" implies? It would be another matter if it were say a theme park ride during which customers were given an experience of a ship sinking etc, but a memorial cruise seems fine to me.

Maybe I'm just odd.

HeyYouJimmy Wed 03-Aug-11 15:23:12

Cogito, there's a part of Belfast called the Titanic Quarter, near the Odyssey Arena, where there is a themed area called Titanica. The Titanica is like an area where you see some of the artifacts from the Titanic. I haven't been to the place yet. I'm sure it's interesting, so DH and I might take the kids to tell them about the Titanic. It's part of Northern Ireland history after all.

HeyYouJimmy Wed 03-Aug-11 15:25:25

Hi Squeaky, how did your trip to Northern Ireland go recently? Did you see many sights?

SuePurblybilt Wed 03-Aug-11 15:27:02

It's deeply odd. Just how old does a tragedy have to be before it becomes fair game for LARPing or SAGA roleplay? (Saga roleplay, imagine <shudders>). Is it bad taste to goggle at reconstructions as holiday entertainment before 100 years has passed perhaps? So anything before 1911 is fair game now. 1914 is just borderline, perhaps I'll judge it icky based on that grin.

psiloveyou Wed 03-Aug-11 15:28:54

I can't see anything wrong with that at all. My ds (11) has always been interested in the Titanic. I wish I could afford to take him.
They will be paying tribute to those who died during the trip.

If people are interested in the history of the Titanic I think it's a great way to learn about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now