Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be still worried about my cat

(13 Posts)
Filibear Wed 03-Aug-11 14:10:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mitmoo Wed 03-Aug-11 14:12:27

You need to take her to a vet to be honest. It sounds to me and I'm no expert that she could be in pain. I hope not. Sorry.

dexter73 Wed 03-Aug-11 14:16:01

My cat started to eat a lot and the vet said she had an overactive thyroid. Maybe the cancer has affected or spread to her thyroid gland?

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Aug-11 14:18:05

you posted a while ago and I asked why the vet wasn't treating and if you'd been referred to an oncologist....

To be honest, if she's withdrawn and noisy - something's not right, the vet should be able to offer her palliative treatment.

Filibear Wed 03-Aug-11 14:23:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GlitterySkulls Wed 03-Aug-11 14:27:34

poor wee cat sad

i'd take her back to the vet, in case she's in pain.

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Aug-11 14:33:58

My cat has lymphoma, which is in her spleen and intestines - it's not curable, but treatment slows down the rate of growth, which is why I was asking.

Different types of cancer are different though - but your vet should still be able to give painkillers or other types of treatment, especially if she's otherwise well.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 03-Aug-11 14:35:17

I suspect that your usually non-vocal cat is trying to let you know that she is suffering physical discomfort - eating may provide some relief by distracting her from any pain she may be feeling.

As advised, take her back to the vet in the hope that medication can help, but be prepared for the worst because exhibiting withdrawn behavour may indicate that endeavouring to prolong her life is not in her best interests.

I had a similar situation with one of my beloved cats who was diagnosed with cancer. I disregarded the advice of one vet to have him put down immediately, and he lived through the summer with no apparent discomfort until it became obvious that he was ready to go.

It broke my heart but this is the price we pay for the pleasure of having short-lived creatures in our lives.

Filibear Wed 03-Aug-11 14:43:14

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Aug-11 14:52:31

Oh if she's on metacam and still in a bit of distress, that's not fantastic. (disclaimer, not a professional, just what I thought)

<has a think>Just while you're waiting for the vet.

Are you feeding her any differently? Mine is getting small meals more often as before she started treatment she was vomiting, the only way I can do that (she was previously free fed dry food) is to feed her meat several times a day, so now she won't let me out of her sight and runs to her bowl meowing every time I move, rofl, but to be fair she was pretty clingy, greedy and vocal beforehand.

Or is there anything else you're doing differently that might make her more demanding?

Filibear Wed 03-Aug-11 14:57:50

frostyfingers Wed 03-Aug-11 16:03:43

Some medication makes them very hungry so it's possible that is all it is, but I would take her to the vet, or ring them as a first step, to ensure that nothing more serious is going on. If they say all is well, then at least you know.

Suncottage Wed 03-Aug-11 16:06:24

Has she been spayed? It could be she is 'calling' for a mate. This usually happens at night?

Is she in season?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now