Talk

Advanced search

to be getting really fed up at all the people offering me uninvited advice

(12 Posts)
expectingprofessional Wed 03-Aug-11 13:26:28

I am sixteen weeks pregnant after three miscarriages in a year, so I realise I'm likely more sensitive than I would otherwise be.

But Jeez.

I need a badge or a T shirt that says 'if I want your advice, I'll ask for it'

It's as if suddenly (aged over 40) my intellect has been reduced to that of a four year old!

Mostly it's colleagues.

And my employer - I don't want my employer's advice, I just want to inform them of what Maternity Leave I've decided to take, when I've decided to take it, how long for and then organise the cover.

AIBU?

Rant over.

FeelingaBitSick Wed 03-Aug-11 13:28:00

Ahh, just wait until the baby is born grin

misty0 Wed 03-Aug-11 13:35:47

Of course you're not BU.

Congratulaions! How wonderful for you - thats fabulous news.

You must have been through hell having 3 mc's in one year. Look after yourself (thats all i'm saying! Not advising - grin)

Let all the advice just wash over you. Pregnancy is one subject everyone thinks they can dish out uninvited advice on for some reason. Same with 'Havnt you had that baby yet??' hmm

HamstersDontSwim Wed 03-Aug-11 13:47:04

Congratulations! smile

Ohhh
You simply must remember to do your pelvic floor exercises, take your PG vits, put stretch mark cream on after your bath, sing to your bump, drink less tea/coffe/coke, ect

YANBU but it gets worse when people will tell you how best to get your baby into a good sleeping pattern how,when and what to feed him/her. grin

nomdeploom Wed 03-Aug-11 13:51:30

That is the exact reason why I hated pregnancy (well one of the reasons) - you are public property. V annoying, everyone is a bloody expert on what's best for you and your baby! You are not bu

HellonHeels Wed 03-Aug-11 13:52:12

Kind of depends on the advice? What is it your employer is advising you not to do? If there are some aspects of your job that might be harmful to pregnant woman/unborn child they have a duty to stop you from doing those.

If it's just common or garden interfering YANBU.

Congratulations though!

MmeLindor. Wed 03-Aug-11 13:58:41

Massive congratulations, you must be so chuffed.

I know it is annoying and I hate to tell you this, it is going to get worse.

You will get teething advice, sleeping advice, weaning advice, walking advice...

Practice a non-committal answer such as: Oh, I hadn't thought of that but will look into it when the sky turns pink with flying pigs

happygilmore Wed 03-Aug-11 14:02:15

Congrats, that must have been a hard year for you.

Everyone is right though, it's much, much worse when the baby is born (sorry)...

expectingprofessional Wed 03-Aug-11 14:46:38

I might start saying "no shit Sherlock".

DeWe Wed 03-Aug-11 16:07:37

I think the best "advice" I've coma across was one lady having #1 when I was pregnant with #2 came up and asked me about colic.
Apparently her (young, single) male workmates had told her most babies get colic and most then die from it. (solving over population with colic sounds unlikely)
I said to tell them they probably meant croup and most didn't die. Made me chuckle though.

YouDoTheMath Wed 03-Aug-11 21:29:08

It is very annoying.

But remember - everyone else knows better than you do what's best for your baby!!! grin

As the saying goes, "a mother's place is in the wrong."

kiki22 Wed 03-Aug-11 21:43:24

I know exactly what u mean!! it's driving me crazy too! i just smile and nod smile

My friend keeps telling me to talk to my bump otherwise it won't know my voice... had enough the other day n pointed out to her (in a rather bitchy way) that i work in a contact centre i talk 7.5 hour a day 5 days a week non stop baby is probly sick to death of hearing me babble on... thot it would shut her up but no she says it's not the same coz im not talkin directly to the bump... hmph

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now