Talk

Advanced search

the saga of the venus flytrap

(8 Posts)
baskingseals Tue 02-Aug-11 22:04:57

dd is 9. she has wanted a venus flytrap for about 4 years - asks for one every christmas. on sunday i went to a garden centre, and hey presto they have venus flytraps, highly excited i buy one for her and one for her cousin, who stayed the night with us.

get home. give my nephew his present. dd is at a friends house for the night, so i stash the other one. my sister comes to pick up my nephew, bringing her younger son, who then proceeds to have a complete wobbly about wanting one for himself. my sister asks me if he can have dd's. i say that she has wanted one for ages. then i say well it's over there. she takes it, saying she will get dd another one.

she doesn't.
i buy dd another one.

i am so pissed off. i know with hindsight <oh what a beautiful thing that is>, that i should have just said NO.

aibu? and what should i do now? don't really want to talk to her.

scotchmist Tue 02-Aug-11 22:29:29

YANBU sorry but your sis sounds selfish and her DS sounds like a bit of a spoilt brat, i would ask her for the cash.

squeakytoy Tue 02-Aug-11 22:30:47

It is only tuesday...

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 02-Aug-11 22:32:33

does your sister have form for steamrollering you and do you have form letting her trample you?

honeybehappy Tue 02-Aug-11 22:33:55

personally i dont buy for one child without buying for their sibling as i hate it when people only buy for one of mine.

What should you do now?? grow up

squeakytoy Tue 02-Aug-11 22:35:35

It is a bit unfair to buy one child a present and leave the other sibling out. So not surprising that the younger child had a bit of a wobbly, that is what kids do when they think they have missed out on something exciting.

Your daughter wasnt there so didnt know about the present.

It is only Tuesday, so two days since your sister saw you, and perhaps she hasnt had time to go to the garden centre yet..

YAB a bit U...

GrendelsMum Tue 02-Aug-11 22:43:00

What a lovely present for your daughter! You can actually buy them online, plus lots of other carnivorous plants.

Do be careful about looking after it correctly - it needs rainwater rather than tap water.

baskingseals Wed 03-Aug-11 09:13:10

i know what you mean about buying one of everything for everybody - trying to be fair, but the problem is we have three dc each, so unless you're talking penny chews, it can't be done. really i should have just bought one for dd, and not my eldest nephew, but i knew how much he would love one.

i do over-compensate for my sister, for lots of reasons. we are very close, spend a lot of time together, as do the children. i feel this has been a bit of a wake up call - but don't know if i'm overreacting. my younger nephew is not easy, not easy at all, especially with my small boys.

thanks for replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now