Talk

Advanced search

to think that Mumsnet is being hacked / invaded by t****s and t***s?

(157 Posts)
MrsGerardButler Tue 02-Aug-11 21:34:44

It's more than a school holidays thing. It seems like a malicious attempt to hook people into a drama / DV / EA situation. It often seems to start with a dramatic first (ever) post and before you know it, it is 100 posts long and the OP is nowhere to be seen.

One of the things I love about MN is how supportive and ready to help people are when someone is in need, but I feel that perhaps we need to take a more cynical and questioning approach before offering our time and energy to support some brand new posters who take without giving back.

My hardhat is on and I have a wine in hand.

ThatllDoPig Tue 02-Aug-11 21:38:26

can you link to an example? been on here loads this eve and things seem normal. I think its ok if the OP doesn't comment back lots. Sometimes things are a lot to take in and people need time, or just want to read the help, especailly if it genuinely is a first post. Can be a bit overwhelming. Maybe they 'give back' on other post that you don't happen to see?

AgentZigzag Tue 02-Aug-11 21:39:34

Dunno, I've just hidden one that looks like a journo fishing for stuff about a famous 'abduction' case.

Anything that will guaranteed to start a bunfight is a bit iffy to me.

Some are newbies or genuinely want an answer to their specific situation and don't want to look at old threads, but others...

AgentZigzag Tue 02-Aug-11 21:40:49

But what are the 't****s and t***s' in your title??

SecretNutellaFix Tue 02-Aug-11 21:42:14

twunts and twats AZ.

allsmeggedup Tue 02-Aug-11 21:43:01

How do you know your first time posters haven't just name-changed?

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 21:43:28

MN is always being invaded.

(But what's a DV or EA situation? I feel I should know these acronyms ASAP)

Portofino Tue 02-Aug-11 21:44:00

I've seen a few that just don't ring true to me, but when the subject is sensitive I keep schtum now. Lots of posts when there is real life drama seems odd to me for example.

ThatllDoPig Tue 02-Aug-11 21:44:22

domestic violence
emotional abuse

Lifeissweet Tue 02-Aug-11 21:44:22

I read it as trolls and twats.

AgentZigzag Tue 02-Aug-11 21:44:40

Thanks nutella grin

<<passes it on>> Domestic violence and emotional abuse Lemon.

FreeButtonBee Tue 02-Aug-11 21:45:11

I agree; I'm afraid I am now massively cynical about Relationship threads. I don't post anything on the threads but I do ignore the vast majority because I just don't believe them. Others have more faith but I do worry that they are being taken advantage of. All I can do is protect myself (in the online world). I'm afraid I have too much else going on to try to save people on the internet from themselves.

SecretNutellaFix Tue 02-Aug-11 21:46:28

nah, trolls isn't a swear word.grin

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 21:46:45

Ah, yes, thanks. I did know those. Although sometimes EA is Emotional Affair. Or East Anglia.

MrsGerardButler Tue 02-Aug-11 21:47:06

tossers
twats
domestic violence
emotional abuse

I know MN is always being invaded, it just seems that there's more than usual.

Normally first time posters say that that either it's their first post, or that they've name changed for the OP.

An example might be the DP won't treat DD as his own thread

MrsGerardButler Tue 02-Aug-11 21:47:58

sorry, meant to say trolls not tossers (although they are much of a muchness in my book)

SecretNutellaFix Tue 02-Aug-11 21:49:43

Since I was bitten by 2 well known trolls who hurt lots of people very badly, I am far more cautious.

DuelingFanjo Tue 02-Aug-11 21:52:36

Are these the posts which contain so much detail they are actually really difficult to understand?

piss pots, the lot of them.

Whatmeworry Tue 02-Aug-11 21:54:42

I just assumed Relationships was test marketing for Corrie and EastEnders and oher soaps grin

Reality Tue 02-Aug-11 21:55:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChaoticAngeltheInnocentOne Tue 02-Aug-11 21:55:11

I read that thread, on relationships, earlier although I didn't add to it because the OP hadn't come back and the thread had gone off on a tangent.

I'd rather answer a troll on relationships than ignore a genuine plea for help. Even if it isn't real there could be someone else with a similar problem who may find it useful.

sittinginthesun Tue 02-Aug-11 21:59:56

How can you tell? Can someone let me know if they think there is a troll around?

MrsGerardButler Tue 02-Aug-11 22:01:05

Chaotic, I agree that someone else may benefit from the advice given, but I still feel that there's a bit of fun being had at MNs expense.

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 22:01:17

Hmmm, there's definitely a couple of fishy numbers on this evening. I will add CC to the acronym list.

MmeLindor. Tue 02-Aug-11 22:03:23

oh, does anyone know what happened to the DS appalling behaviour in cinema. I opened it earlier and didn't get the chance to read it and it has gone already. Deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now