Talk

Advanced search

to expect my bf to say bye at the end of a phone call?

(21 Posts)
juicychops Tue 02-Aug-11 21:32:16

the last week he's stopped saying bye. He just hangs up. And i think that is bloody rude!!

nenevomito Tue 02-Aug-11 21:57:29

Thats bizarre. So mid conversation he just hangs up?

mayorquimby Tue 02-Aug-11 21:59:43

just like the movies.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 02-Aug-11 22:00:42

Tell him.

FabbyChic Tue 02-Aug-11 22:27:22

My boyfriend has never said it on the phone ever.

He says something like text you, ring you after my bath, ring you when I next have a smoke etc.,

But never once in 2 years has he ever said bye. Im used to it.

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 22:30:23

I do this. I don't mean to be rude, I just think we're done. Mainly I just say, 'OK bye' quickly and people are a bit taken aback that I'm gone.

I found out that my SiLs ring each other as some sort of support group after they've hiung up from me. My brothers have to intereven and explain I'm no good with good byes. I can't STAND long goodbyes at parties either. Drive me crazy. Just fricking LEAVE.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 02-Aug-11 22:35:29

But - how do you know that the conversation is over? They could just be pausing for breath and you put the phone down!

Without some sort of goodbye, I don't understand how the conversation could be concluded.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 02-Aug-11 22:36:33

or rather, how does someone who does not say bye know that the conversation is over.

Unless someone says bye to them and they respond to that goodbye by putting the phone down. Now that would be rude. Breathtakingly rude.

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 22:46:29

It's just a kinda sense that the conversation is over and a bit of a grunt and OK, Speak soon' and I'm off.

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Tue 02-Aug-11 22:50:15

He thinks he is on the telly.

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 22:55:35

He thinks you can work out the conversation over

beanandspud Tue 02-Aug-11 23:01:31

Is it better or worse than DP saying "cheers" which always sounds more like a work colleague greeting rather than something you say to a 'significant other'?

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 23:07:51

Cheers is habit. Better than the solicitor who said 'Bye now, lots of love' to me the other day. I think she was tired.

MightyQuim Wed 03-Aug-11 00:23:43

It wouldn't be weird if that's just what he's always done but you say he said 'bye' before this week??? Strange!

thursday Wed 03-Aug-11 00:46:28

haha, i can always tell when dh has people near him when he's on the phone as he starts saying 'ok, cheers' and talking to me like i'm someone workish.

i love that OPs dp has just stopped saying bye. sinister!

TrollingQuestion Wed 03-Aug-11 01:16:57

Maybe the real DP has been abducted by aliens & this is a replacement. They've got him fairly convincing, but overlooked this minor detail which will be their downfall. All the technology in the universe can't account for trivial human convention.

PinkSchmoo Wed 03-Aug-11 01:38:12

Sounds like he's a bit tired or distracted.

juicychops Wed 03-Aug-11 19:57:27

replies made me laugh.

am i really being silly then?

i just spoke to him on the phone. the conversation was coming to an end and he said 'im just doing xxx so il give u a call later' so i said 'ok then bye' and he just hung up.

If he had always been like this then id be used to it but its only been the last week. Its like im no longer worth this extra tiny bit of effort.

i thought it was just good manners to say bye?

Maybe aliens. he's been acting like something out of this world with his shitty attitude and moodiness lately!

LineRunner Wed 03-Aug-11 20:02:53

All the technology in the universe can't account for trivial human convention

Genius.

My on-his-last-chance BF can't even start a phone call, let alone end one.

memphis83 Wed 03-Aug-11 20:10:58

My ex used to do this, I remember one of our first long conversations when it was all lovely dovey, we talked for ages then he just said ok then and hung up, I was so sure the phone had been cut off by accident I called him back and then looked like a creepy stalker girl when he sounded bemused that I called him back!

CurrySpice Wed 03-Aug-11 22:04:06

LineRunner sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now