Talk

Advanced search

to return a portable DVD when it's broken, but I have no receipt!?

(11 Posts)
Teachermumof3 Tue 02-Aug-11 19:21:01

I bought it for DD1 just under a month ago and it's suddenly got really temperamental and wont' work all of the time. I have the packaging and the guarantee from Bush, the manufacturer, but I cannot find the blasted receipt anywhere. Is there anything I can do??

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 02-Aug-11 19:22:15

Did you buy it on a card? Take a copy of your bank statement or CC bill with the transaction

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 02-Aug-11 19:23:59

Failing that, many shops have sales records that they can access so if you give them a date of purchase they may well be able to track it down.

I've never had a problem returning faulty items without a receipt but usually you'll get store vouchers.

Glitterknickaz Tue 02-Aug-11 19:25:21

Proof of purchase is sufficient, credit card or bank statement.

Elemis Tue 02-Aug-11 19:37:40

Currys or comet should have the details on the computer

Teachermumof3 Tue 02-Aug-11 19:52:40

Thank you everyone! It was from Argos and it's listed on the credit card statement. However, Argos mentions bringing returning things within 30 days and I've just worked out it'll be exactly 30 days tomorrow-do you think they will still take it back!?

JemimaMuddledUp Tue 02-Aug-11 19:56:17

The 30 days is just for if it goes back unused and you have changed your mind. There are different rules for faulty items.

I bought a Nintendo DS from Argos and it stopped working 11 montsh after I bought it. I didn't have the receipt but did have the credit card statement, which they took as proof of purchase and sent it away to be fixed.

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 02-Aug-11 19:58:59

Argos are pretty good with returns. Just take it back with whatever proof of purchase you have

FabbyChic Tue 02-Aug-11 19:59:32

You don't need a receipt for faulty goods.

SuePurblybilt Tue 02-Aug-11 20:01:08

I had this with a digibox - all the gumpf but lost the receipt. I called the customer service line who called the store manager to OK the exchange so that I didn't have to argue for hours on the shop floor. Argos seem to exchange without too much bother.

TalesOfTheUnexpected Tue 02-Aug-11 20:06:27

I've taken many things back to Argos (including portable dvd players). Sometimes they were happy just with a bank/credit card statement and also if the little Argos ticket was still stuck to the packaging.

I've since learnt to keep all the packaging (I chuck the boxes in the understairs cupboard) and also leave the receipt in the packaging.

Up there for thinking, down there for dancing wink.

Disclaimer: OK, it's not rocket-science but I was actually quite chuffed with myself for FINALLY keeping the receipts in the product box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now