Talk

Advanced search

To cook DS' pet marrow

(9 Posts)
minouminou Tue 02-Aug-11 17:56:52

Quick back story: DP took DD (2) and DS (5 in Oct) to some friends yesterday evening on the way home from nursery. We've known them years, they're childless, and have recently started a vegetable patch in their garden. The woman of the couple was showing the kids all the new veg coming up, and they found a medium-size marrow, which she handed to DS to take home.

Anyway, he was cuddling this marrow all evening yesterday, and slept with it.....he woke me up at 7.00am this morning, still cuddling his marrow and saying "I love (name of marrow woman)......she gave me a marrow, and I ate a tomato, and she showed me some peas.......".
He took it out to play this morning, and I just about managed to dissuade him from taking it to nursery.

He's on his way home with DP and DD now.....and the marrow is about to be sliced in half, scooped out and filled with Bolognese sauce and topped with grated cheese, and placed in a hot oven for 30 minutes.

Quick...do I do this or not? Am I evil? Or unreasonable?

Kayano Tue 02-Aug-11 17:58:25

Lmfao cutest thing ever!

But still....
Cook the bastard!

BahHumPug Tue 02-Aug-11 17:59:10

Has he drawn a face on it? If so, YABU. Ooo has it got a name?

Thing is, do you really want him carting a marrow around for the next god knows how long? It'll start to pickle or something. Then burst. All over your house.

pjmama Tue 02-Aug-11 17:59:10

It will go manky if you don't cook it and it would be shame to waste it!

Sounds delicious btw.

pigletmania Tue 02-Aug-11 18:18:07

awwww bless your DS smile. Cook the bastard, hope it tastes nice grin

minouminou Tue 02-Aug-11 18:19:53

The bugger's in the oven. DS is too distracted by his new DVD, My Neighbour Totoro. We'll see how he is when Mr Marrow emerges......

LineRunner Tue 02-Aug-11 18:21:35

It's his marrow. There are hooman rights ownership ishooes here. You may control the conduits and aftermath of production but you can never control his soul. Etc.

I'd give it another day.

Cattleprod Tue 02-Aug-11 18:21:39

It will be a good chance to educate him about food chains, life cycles etc!!

Fwiw, my friend cooked her DS's pet chicken. He said it was delicious!! grin

LineRunner Tue 02-Aug-11 18:24:13

You could at least have made him kill his own marrow and taught him a valuable lesson about thanking gaia for all her bountiful bounty.

Really, min, you'll be saying you don't make him fell his own antelope next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now