Talk

Advanced search

to play Dolly Parton to my DDs

(57 Posts)
Pkam Tue 02-Aug-11 15:41:47

Ok, so I do like a bit of Dolly to sing along to in the car from time to time. It's normally a solo activity but a few weeks ago I put her on when the DDs (4 & 3) were in the car as I couldn't face another journey with the Toy Story soundtrack.

They loved it. So now we frequently have some female bonding time blaring out 'I will always love you'.

DH does not like this. Which amuses us all and encourages us. I particularly like it when the DDs spontaneously break into a wobbly rendition of Jolene or Harper Valley PTA in the supermarket or the swimming pool. The look on DH's face is priceless.

So, AIBU to continue to play Dolly to them for the bonding factor and the effect it has on DH, or am I actually condemning them to a livelong love of 'uncool' music and the risk of being laughed at in later years....

Columbia999 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:42:45

There's nothing wrong with Dolly! grin

PuppyMonkey Tue 02-Aug-11 15:43:06

My DD likes Doris Day. She's 4. grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 02-Aug-11 15:44:35

You play them Dolly & I'll keep playing mine Queen. Dad plays him Johnny Cash because Dad's a sad old bastard.... Alltogether now. Scaramoush! Scaramoush! Will you do the fandango?!!....

CMOTdibbler Tue 02-Aug-11 15:45:24

I play Glee CDs in the car with my 5 year old - he loves singing along. He might like Dolly too so YANBU

GrimmaTheNome Tue 02-Aug-11 15:45:27

I seem to remember a while ago a thread about which famous person people most admired, and Dolly was about the only one named who received only positive comments.

Go ahead! She's beyond 'cool/uncool' - she's a one-off classic in her own right.

AngryFeet Tue 02-Aug-11 15:49:04

My two are addicted to the Bee Gees. DD is 7 and has no idea who JLS or Justin Bieber are but she can do a great 'Staying Alive'. DH and I have never had 'trendy' taste in music - we like some new stuff but prefer the old tunes. We are bringing up a pair of geeks grin

AngryFeet Tue 02-Aug-11 15:49:46

Oh and Jolene is one of my favourite songs ever. YANBU smile

SuburbanDream Tue 02-Aug-11 15:51:20

Ooh I love Dolly! I'd play Dolly all day long if the DS's would allow, but DH has already introduced them to The Police, The Jam and The Beatles. I did have some success with Michael Jackson and Queen too though! We love to dance madly to Paulo Nutini's Pencil Full of Lead and Cee Lo Green's "forget you" (the clean version!!) smile

SuburbanDream Tue 02-Aug-11 15:51:59

I love Dolly's one about her coat of many colours - such a great storyteller

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 02-Aug-11 15:53:27

DD has already been introduced to Jolene. She's 7 months.

eurochick Tue 02-Aug-11 15:54:35

I now had 9 to 5 in my head.

wigglesrock Tue 02-Aug-11 15:54:56

Working 9 -5 is a favourite in our car grin My dh hates, hates it with a passion grin

wigglesrock Tue 02-Aug-11 15:55:59

x posted - altogether "pour myself a cup of ambition" - one of my favourite lines form a song ever grin

HairyGrotter Tue 02-Aug-11 15:56:42

DD adores Dolly, she's amazing. She's a Bowie fan too, either or suits both of us! YNBU

Illegitimate Tue 02-Aug-11 16:02:47

Dolly is officially a legend and as such is way beyond cool!

Pkam Tue 02-Aug-11 16:06:22

So many good ideas on here already for more music to torture DH with share the enjoyment of with the DDs grin

JanMorrow Tue 02-Aug-11 16:07:19

Oh I fully intend to teach my daughter all the words to 9-5.

happymole Tue 02-Aug-11 16:16:16

I love Dolly as does dd

Icelollycraving Tue 02-Aug-11 16:18:29

I bloody love Dolly,yr dh is beyond unreasonable!

creamola Tue 02-Aug-11 16:20:03

jolene.............good tune

zukiecat Tue 02-Aug-11 16:20:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pkam Tue 02-Aug-11 21:08:36

Just let DH read your posts in support of Dolly. He went off muttering to himself and shaking his head. He is now posting a similar question on a triathlon forum (tritalk) he's in to see if he gets some support over there. Bless.

LordOfTheFlies Tue 02-Aug-11 21:11:55

Cogito my DCs have been trained from an early age ,when they hear Queen to say:
"Oh Mummy that's Freddie Mercury, he's the best singer in the world"

Woollybaalamb Tue 02-Aug-11 21:25:26

My two ds know all the words to Country Roads and Leaving On a Jetplane by John Denver.......now that's sad, and it's all my fault!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now