Talk

Advanced search

What to do when someone buys you a present that you don't really want?

(11 Posts)
VeggieButcher Tue 02-Aug-11 15:22:35

I have always wanted to learn to play the piano and am currently borrowing a full size keyboard from a friend. I am doing quite well and making good progress however I made the mistake of telling my mum that I was only borrowing the keyboard I had and was looking at buying another.

So at a car boot sale at the weekend she bought me another keyboard. Very nice of her, I know.

However I've just gone to pick it up and its actually a pretty old fashioned children's keyboard. Half the size of the one I'm borrowing and sounds awful. It SOUNDS like a toy. I can't learn on it, I can't even practice on it. The songs I've learnt need more keys than this keyboard actually has.

I obviously thanked her anyway and took it home but she's quite pleased with herself and keeps saying "great! now you can send the other one back to your friend!" but I have no intention of sending the other one back and sooner or later she'll notice it's still here.

What would you do in this situation? AIBU? an ungrateful cow maybe?

Pandemoniaa Tue 02-Aug-11 15:23:51

Just say that it was very kind of her to buy the keyboard but unfortunately it doesn't have the range you need now, given your progress.

Ealingkate Tue 02-Aug-11 15:24:39

Could you blame it on your piano teacher (if you have one) and just say that it needs to be a full size one with a weighted action in order for you to build up your finger strength??

BluddyMoFo Tue 02-Aug-11 15:25:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BluddyMoFo Tue 02-Aug-11 15:25:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Tue 02-Aug-11 15:26:03

does the friend who loaned you the keyboard also know you have "no intention of sending it back" grin

misty0 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:26:20

Yes, better to be honest than tangle yourself up in fibs saying its great ect. That way lies madness grin

DoMeDon Tue 02-Aug-11 15:26:35

I'd have said what you said here tbh. I'm very direct though. It's not rude to be honest. If it was my mum I'd have wrapped it in a bullshit sandwich to be kind, she was lovely my mum! 'Oh thanks so much for thinking of me but this one doesnt have enough keys and is more for children. So lovely of you to pick it up for me though, love you, you're so thoughful'

Then give to nearest charity shop or back to mum to car boot.

attheendoftheday Tue 02-Aug-11 15:26:47

I'd say nothing unless she asks, if so explain that the new keyboard doesn't cover the range you need. No need to mention the poor quality. You've thanked her and behaved in a gracious way imo, so leave it at that.

PuppyMonkey Tue 02-Aug-11 15:27:56

Just tell her it doesn't work properly - that's car boot sales for you.

VeggieButcher Tue 02-Aug-11 15:28:54

Squeaky, yes I told my friend she has no chance of ever getting this keyboard back, I love it grin She's thankful it is no longer gathering dust in her house lol

(I will of course give her it back when I've bought a new one or if she asks for it wink )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now