Talk

Advanced search

Heelys - AIBU to buy a pair for dd(8)?

(16 Posts)
PopBiscuits Tue 02-Aug-11 14:55:20

This is what she is after for her birthday.

Are they a nightmare? Any advice appreciated from mums who already have them....

And sizing? She is normally a 12.

PussInConverse Tue 02-Aug-11 15:04:57

YANBU. Just don't let her use them on a busy high street. Very annoying.

Tortoise Tue 02-Aug-11 15:07:55

DD1 8 and DD2 7, love their Heelys and have done for a couple of years. I would recommend safety gear as they do fall a lot at first. I always go 1-2 sizes up from normal for fit. The 2 wheel ones are easier to learn on.

Tanif Tue 02-Aug-11 15:14:02

Fine as toys to be played with in the park/garden/driveway etc, but I wouldn't let her use them as shoes. I was working in Tesco when they were first released and we had to become a 'heely free zone' as so many kids were hurting themselves and others by hurtling around on the slippy floor.

BurningBridges Tue 02-Aug-11 15:39:53

Got DD2 some for her 8th birthday in May, 2 heel ones so easier for her, she's about a 12, I got her size 1. She's worn them twice, and now they are getting tight on her. They come with a DVD to show you how to use them, she reckons she can't get the hang of it, having worn them twice for 10 minutes. Fed up. I'd say no. or get second hand ones, and a larger size ...!

coff33pot Tue 02-Aug-11 15:41:12

They are great! My DD had them when she was 8 and still uses them now she is 10! I looked on Amazon for mine as there were some great value ones there. Size wise was difficult. A lot are American sizes so a size 6 would actually be size 5. So size 1 would be 12. This was my daughters size and there was loads of room in them, she wore chunky socks to start with and she had plenty wear out of them.

The roller pops in or out and there is a cover to cover the inset so they can use the trainers normally and pop the rollers in when they get to the park.

Andrewofgg Tue 02-Aug-11 15:43:25

There's a time and a place. Definitely not in crowded public places. And they must avoid bumping into peopel, not the other way round.

AgentZigzag Tue 02-Aug-11 15:47:17

I got some for DD1 two years ago, and even though she's progressed onto roller boots, she's still lamenting the fact her heelies don't fit her smile

One of the best presents we've ever got her.

I got them a size bigger than her shoe size (two if your DD is at the top end of her size) from ebay, they were new but supposedly could have a cosmetic defect, but I didn't see anything on them.

Agree about saying no to certain places in them, supermarkets have the perfect floor, but not good to play skittles with the older generation.

coff33pot Tue 02-Aug-11 15:48:20

My DD uses hers to go around public places without a problem. They are not like skateboards or scooters. They basically walk and slide. Its just a case of normal street manners even if you were walking or running. You just dont collide into people thats all.

Andrewofgg Tue 02-Aug-11 15:56:39

I had in mind - from experience - an airport, waiting for DS to land, while a bored child of about 7 probably waiting for the same plane was allowed to Heely around and bump into people who could not easily change speed or direction while burdened with luggage, all so that her parents could have a coffee instead of supervising her properly.

Sirzy Tue 02-Aug-11 15:58:36

They should never be used on busy streets or supermarkets, I am afraid that is one time I do judge parents who let them do it. The one who had a go at me for being in her daughters way and her daughter crashing into me got both barrells!

Like others have said get them if you want but stick to parks and your own garden!

Spuddybean Tue 02-Aug-11 16:04:33

i read they affected posture, as when someone is on wheels they compensate with different balance techniques compared to when on foot. So when they have a product which quickly changes between the 2 the curve of the back and hips can get damaged and effect postural development.

I presume this is from extensive use however, and there appears to be nothing conclusive on the internet.

zozzle Tue 02-Aug-11 18:59:37

I got some for me for £3.99 from a charity shop and I'm pushing 40! Just a big kid really but would only try them out for a laugh in the park when it's dark and no one can see me ...

welliesandpyjamas Tue 02-Aug-11 19:04:06

They are fun, and 8 is a good age to enjoy them so, yes, why not get them! My ds1 got some last xmas and loved them. Learning to consider others is all a part of having them, so just use that to your advantage. Only thing is, you need good smooth surfaces to ride them on (and threfore minimise falls and maximise enjoyment) so worth finding parks with good pavements etc

welliesandpyjamas Tue 02-Aug-11 19:05:57

I guess the posture issue would be a problem for kids who wear them all the time. There's a time and a place for heelys so they are not a replacement for normal shoes.

shuffleballchange Tue 02-Aug-11 19:18:31

Not at all. I want some - do they do adult sizes? if DS1 had some too, the school one would be done in no time at all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now